Pointless Existence

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ReGReT, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReGReT

ReGReT Member

I had never questioned existence prior to 2007 before all this shit commenced.
    Now more than ever, I find myself questioning the very fabric of existence. What is the point. How can one live happily knowing that one day everything you have ever known will cease to exist. Lost to the damaging effects of time. Some day my love will die, some day. Some day my entire family will die, some day. Some day my beautiful pets will die, some day. Some day everything I have ever known will suffer nature's cruel fate, but I'll be long gone. No matter how desperately I try to simply block out these thoughts, they persist. Guarded by my unbearable logic. I can't simply forget, I can't simply deny nature it's ceromony, but I can choose to protest. I can't bare the thought of watching everyone I love die before my very eyes. Therefore I feel there is only one option. Perhaps it would be best to simply dissappear. Is one considered a coward should he choose to deny Nature it's right of ceremony.
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Why not spend as much time with those you love because life is short? If you end it all then you will miss out on so much more love you could have shared.
  3. InMyWay

InMyWay Active Member

Hi. I kind of have an idea of what you're going through right now. I can't say I know exactly what you're going through because we all experience life differently. I know what it is like to question existence, I've done so very often over and over again over the years. I can tell you that nature isn't kind. As an unemployed geologist, I know that fact very well. Over 90% of all life that ever existed on this planet since the whole thing started has gone the way of the dodo.

Truth is, if you do go through with your thoughts, you will not deny nature anything. You'd just be speeding the process up. Unfortunately all of us see people and pets we care about pass on, it never gets easier to bear in my experience. We have to make it through though because, as you pointed out, survival and over coming obstacles is part of our instinct.

The only advice I could really suggest is just to try and hold out to see if anything gets better. It may not seem like your family is supportive at times, but they do love and care about you. You're still young, and have a lot to look forward to if you have a little hope. A little is all it takes some times. A philosophy that has helped me out in the last few years has been the idea of "eucatastrophe". It was something Tolkien used a lot in his writing. It's the idea that suddenly, and without warning, things can change for the better. It's hard to try and think like this, but trying even a little can make a difference. Also, if you have hobbies, they can really give you a sense of accomplishment and get your mind off things. If you don't already do so, I'd suggest writing. You demonstrated in your posts that you know how write. It could be your calling in life.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching and also I apologize if this did nothing to help. I hope that you'll get through these rough times and you can get back to enjoying life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.