Pokemon Go Summer....

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by NYJmpMaster, Sep 30, 2016.

1. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I have had a really bad habit of getting into a rut where I never really leave the house - often going 203 weeks without ever leaving home except for a dr appt. Obviously I was not always like this- but after got sick and had to stop working a little over 8 years ago- then I got depressed / depression so as well as no "reason" or "need" to leave the house I had no desire to. This has been a problem for me on and off for the entire time- without really noticing all of sudden would be 2-3 weeks wiothout ever leaving house and of course this really did not help mood at all.

This spring I started walking as recommended by Dr for heart issues to get a low stress exercise for heart. It was actually nice and gave me a reason to get out- some and just had to try to find places to walk that were nto too boring or repetitive. Then My kids told me about this game- Pokemon Go

I had heard about it some but never seen it but I put on my phone (also a first- is the first game/app I have ever downloaded and used on phone lol) and became a "Pokemon Trainer". I am not in the demographic norm for pokemon players i suspect- Probably well over 2x if not 3x the age of the average pokemon player (and possibly 4x - i have no idea tbh what the average pokemon player age is ...)

It is a really silly game where you walk around and catch pokemon in random places, battle your pokemon in Gyms, and get stuff to use at Poke stops .... I am not going to try to explain- many of you have heard or or seen and if not I could not explain anyway ... but my goal was to try to catch all the pokemon possible o catch - which apparently is 142 according to most places I read. There are also some pokemon available in only parts of the world- Taurus In North America, Mr Mime in Europe, KangasKhan in Australia, and Farfetched in parts of Asia.

I managed to get 138 of the pokemon possible, working on collecting candies for #139 ( Kabutatops from my Kabuto - I have to walk another 143 kms to get enough candies for this one. I also have a Mr Mime because a good friend that lives in Europe helped me and after i took a break for a couple days signed into my account in UK and caught me a Mr Mime that cannot be caught here in US).

I do not have (nor have I ever even seen) Omanyte, Omastar, or Porygon. This is after 31 levels, walking over 600 km, catching 4908 pokemon, going to 5275 poke stops, hatching 703 eggs, and evolving 969 pokemon. So summer is over and I did not accomplish what i had hoped to- and to be hionest , believe ther eis a flaw in a game that you can do that amount of things and still never even see 3 of the little creatures (yes, I admit to some sour grapes over that).

On the other hand , I did manage to walk and get out of the house at least 5 days a week and exceed my Dr's walking goals all summer, met tons of people to say hello to and have them ask if are catching anything good/ seeing anything, and exchange other small pleasantries with since there were so many peopel out doing the same thing. I have not actually been out walking in a week now since deciding the pokemon summer was over- so I suppose i need to get back to walking- and I may try to continue until i find those last 3 .... There are rumours thta they are releasing another whole set of the little critters to capture in the nearish future- though after not ever seeing those 3 I am unsure I want to add another 100 critters again...

It was not an exciting summer- I can't say I ever thought at near 50 year sold excitement would mean catching imaginary critters on my phone as i walked around the park and town, so I can if I try not very hard say what a lousy summer and life... On the other hand, I did laugh a lot while doing it, got out of the house more than have in previous 7 years by far, meet a lot of people that I cant call friends and do not know their names but that always nod and say hello , catching anything good? when I walk by , and have a "hobby" for the first time in years... so maybe was not a bad summer at all... just depends on what tyoe of attitude I choose to have when I think about it.

Did anybody else play pokemon go? Any Ideas for the next hobby or thing to do? How did you pass your summer that brought a least a little interest or enjoyment? Any ideas for getting the australian or asian poke's? Does anybody know where in the hell I can find those 3 pokemon??
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I think Pokémon Go is a good things because it encourages people to get out of the house, get some exercise and meet new people. There's also been Pokémon Go meet ups in the UK. On the psych ward I was on some of the patients would go out in groups of 3's or 4's and go Pokémon hunting around the hospital, myself included. I've not really been able to play the game properly. The app launched in the UK on the day I went into hospital, which I was happy about but disappointed because I'd been looking forward to playing the app.

I'm not sure if this is true or a coincidence but there was one day where I was playing Pokémon Go in my bed area of the hospital. There was the usual Pokémon about like Pidgey's, Zubat's, some Drowzee's etc. Then it hit night time (I think it was 7 or 8pm) and suddenly those Pokémon disappeared and new Pokémon were about like Ghastly and Clefairy. I would assume that those Pokémon are available in the day time too, but it might be that different Pokémon come out in your area at night time. That or it's just a coincidence.
    DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I played Pokemon back in the summer for a short spell but with the glitches and down time I quit playing after 7 levels but just know Eevee can evolve to different kinds and my area had too many Eevees during the daytime and nighttime it was different creatures. Very cool after it getting the glitches I got mad and just uninstalled it and ever since have not been as mobile like I was that a couple of weeks
  4. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Have you tried using fastpokemaps to see what's in your area? Rare spawns are through the roof the last week or so (I saw 2 dragonites just today) maybe you'll have some luck getting the last 3 you need!
  5. BarryW

BarryW Well-Known Member

I only played pokemon go about 15 minutes. When the game came out it was 110+ degrees for the high temps and I didn't want to walk outside for hours a day for it. I also felt embarassed even though I know a bunch of other people were playing it. I am pretty new to smartphones so that didn't help my comfort level I guess.

Several of my friends played though and seemed to really enjoy it. I'm glad you got some fun out of it, hopefully you can get the last pokemon but it sounds like they have designed the game with the intention that people won't get them all. I've played my share of my games and can definitely relate to trying to complete a challenge and sometimes realizing it is impossible or close enough.
  6. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

No re Pokemon but I never thought about the app being used for us older folks here as you have. That's a great idea!

What encourages me to get out and about is photography and I volunteer somewhere too. The photography helps me relax as I'm concentrating on what I'm trying to shoot so that the runaway mind is distracted and I'm moving physically which helps enormously with my triggers.

Many people use their phones to start with, they've become so much better, so that's an idea.
    Freya likes this.