Poland's Forgotten Courage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zurkhardo

I was trying to copy and paste it here, but the format comes out messy for some reason (most likely due to my lag). The article is in my blog and concerns a topic very dear to me. I hope you all enjoy or gain some illumination.

chjones21

Perhaps we had a different history teacher but I was very aware of Poland's part in the Second World War --- added to that there were loads and loads of Polish in the RAF and they were fantastic and well-known for it. I used to live pretty much bang next door to a Polish Veterans Club (which had late-night opening hours!) which was also run by some ex-WW2 army/airmen veterans...

That said, it is important not to forget that Poland was also responsible for some of the worst atrocities in the Holocaust - 90% of Jews in Poland didn't survive. Auschwitz and Treblinka --- I don't want to go on....

And although many Polish people gave their own lives to help, many more collaborated with the ghettos and the concentration camps. Anyway, very distressing subject. Probably best avoided.

Issaccs

I couldn't tell if you meant this is your article or someone else's, aside from the fact it needs proof reading it was a good read and quite informative even for me who learned most of this from my Grandfather and his war buddies.

As far as the holocaust mention below goes though, you have to remember every country taken over by the Germans participated in some way towards those efforts and I doubt England or even the US (I realise the unlikelihood) would have been any exception. Its best not to hold the past against folks, especially something so far behind and under such exceptional circumstances.

Zurkhardo

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's my article actually, and I admit that it could've used some editing. Also, good points were made about collaborators and the bravery of others, which are definitely things I shouldn't overlook.

bhawk

I think its good to read about the nazi and SS control over the populace they invaded while looking at the other thread about the lucifer effect, ive read a lot into the lucifer effect and its good to see a thread about it. Humans can commit evil acts without being innately "evil."
The nazi regime made normally good people prey upon each other. Neighbours turned on neighbours, friends on friends.
I am of course in no way saying what they did was right.

While growing up we had a WW2 "ace" pilot called mr bennion, he recalled when the village was flooded with poles as they were then took to training. He also recalled how little training the majority of pilots in WW2 had which makes their feats even more astounding, some pilots had up to 6 hours training before seeing active duty! The majority of pilots also got diarrhea from the oils or something and had to fly while in that predicament!

Zurkhardo

As a Canadian I know the feeling of being left out in world war discussions. :(
I'll say, I've been meaning to write a similar post or thread concerning Canada's massive contribution: the fact that at fielded the largest volunteer army in the world, served with distinction during Normandy (haven gotten the second hardest beach landing in the operation), and contributed one of the largest navy and merchant marine for the war effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00