Police serve intervention order on facebook..beware bullies

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by IV2010, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

2. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Facebook? I suppose this is the beginning of digital intervention on a mainstream media platform. Im not sure if I like this though. For starters verifcation, and checking to see if someone has recieved the message. (apparently they can, which i thought was against Facebooks privacy settings(though I suppose if he is in violation of the FB terms and conditions those "freedoms" are taken away?))

Mostly though I don't like how a government body, especially the justice body, is using FB as a means to an end.

But again I suppose this is the beginning a police presence on large communities. Which I suppose could lead to a more unified internet police :D

Anyhow, I wonder what the standard procedure was before this?(If anyone knows) Did they have to come to your place of residence/mail you a letter?

3. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

cool? :smile:

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I believe if someone is being a cyber bully all privacy rights have been forfeited.
    I hope this sets a precedense...

Stamp out all bullies!

5. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry but bullying like this usually starts in school, stamp it the fuck out there by teachers actually giving a rats ass and the police wouldn't have to waste their time like this.

6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Agree with that too..

7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

8. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

With the greatest possible respect, fuck you.
    I was fucking hospitalised by bullys, my arm was snapped in two and the doctors were concerned that one arm might be longer than the other as a result.
    So you tell me how being bullied through years 11-16 of secondary school helped me, BUT FOR the abuse I suffered I wouldn't have struggled as much as I have for the last for years because everytime someone is nice to me I wouldnt have been suspicious of ulterior motives, I am now 20 and finally adjusting to the world after spending the last two years hiding behind a god damn screen.
    I am fine now but if I hadn't been treated so much like shit I would be in my final year of university right now, fuck bullys and those who think they do anything else but make the world a worse place to be born too.

9. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:) :)

There is no excuse for bullies and this Helen Guldberg has apparently never been bullied in her life...or doesn't have children who have been bullied..
    There's a difference between a schoolyard spat and bullying .

10. Lovecraft

The world is a place of conflict and even if bullying were eradicated from schoolyards it would only leave children less prepared for the bullies that always have and always will exist in the real world. I certainly think that bullying to the point of serious physical harm should be treated with a fair dose of police involvement but the text/verbal bullying serves its purpose: It makes kids take a stand or sink. Kids that take the stand tend to do better as 'ignoring it' is not a particularly effective option in most any case. Look at the people of the generation above you, and two above you: Are they all dysfunctional wrecks with severe emotional damage from that one bully that picked on them in grade 3? No. People are so enveloped in the idea that the world could be made perfect they forget that there's a purpose to a trial by fire.

11. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

what your saying is... hey we cant get rit of them, so we better prepare for them. sorry but i find this total BS, c'mon whats next, we cant do enough about the murders so lets just all wear a bullet proof vest ? its the wrong way of dealing with this problem imo. prevention is better than trying to find a way to live with it and be depressed and/or suicidal from it at an later stage in your life. not everyone is mental equally strong by dealing with this scum. grab them bullies by the balls!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010
  12. Lovecraft

No, murder will directly effect very small amounts of the population; bullying will directly effect nearly all of it.

Go find someone in their 50s and ask them if they're still hurting from that one time in grade 7 when Jimmy called them a dork or put a fist to them. Go ask someone in their 50s if, after school ended for them, they never got bullied again.

Nobody will have any strength to stand up to anything if they're never threatened.

13. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Most of you guys who are supporting this are going to regret it when it spreads and becomes an excuse to censor any kind of expression that upsets someone for any reason. Think about it. This is exactly the kind of thing a censor dreams about.

14. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

an old saying but a good one...stop the bullies before they start

15. jasonkramer

jasonkramer Well-Known Member

and you expect to do this how? the schools cont and usually have no interest in policing the lil shits. their like the police, their job is to deal with the bad guys not to protect you. also if its "he said she said" they tend to ignore it or take the side of the larger group which from my experience are the bullies. as for parents, they tend to think their "precious little angel" would never do such a thing! kids are naturally mean its what we are. add in group think and it gets worse. to add another level to it most of the victims are often weak either mentally, physically or socially making them easy prey.

the ONLY way you will stop this is with fear. make your opponents scared of you and they will either stop or, as they did with me, do their bull shit a lot less. for me i used violence. one guy was being an ass during shop and damn near made me cut my hand on a band saw. my response was to wait for him to go to a secluded place when i nailed him in the head with a 2x4. i also set it up so that when the sheriffs office did their yearly drug check they would find several knives in my truck. one of which was my 18inch bowie knife. the psychotic i appeared the less people would deal with me. people will not deal with something they think will most likely hurt them. fear is the best way to control people.

iam not suggesting anyone here use violence to scare people, there are other ways to foster fear. its just that for me violence was the best tool to use with my high level of hatred and anger.

16. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Yes and if you run the world that way, you protect the life out of life.

17. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

yeah I agree random.

It's like ripples in a pond. Small preventitive mesaures might work, but they spread as a ripple. Have 100 small preventitive measures eventually all the ripples will meet and crash against eachother, causing more issues.

You have to be careful.

18. Lovecraft

I think that Random was implying that bullying is part of life and that it shouldn't be protected against as it's a necessary part of growth.

19. Firelord

Firelord Active Member

Anybody that thinks bullying is trial by fire has obviously never been in the fire. I highly doubt that they have ever been bullied to a serious extent either.

As somebody who was bullied constantly as a child to the point it could be legitimately called repeated physical and mental abuse and who now understands the after effects, what it turned me into and what I still feel at certain points, I can say that the statement previously made is nothing but horse shit. Furthermore, it not only has negative effects on the party that is bullied, but negative effects on the bullies.

If we allow the bullies to get away with this we are telling them that it's okay to hurt others cause of their differences. Because of the way bullies operate, such as in groups of friends, going after lone targets and always shying away in authority situations, we are teaching said bullies to be cowards and weak. These people aren't going to survive this so called "fire", they're going to be burnt alive by it.

Neither are the bullied in fact. Just because you know what it's like to be bullied doesn't mean you are prepared for what the world has to offer. That's like saying that just because you've been shot means you know how to deal with a guy holding a gun. No, the only way you can deal with the world is to prepare yourself for it, not let a bunch of ass holes torment you.

And for the comment "bullying effects all the population", no it doesn't. I don't know how ignorant you have to be to believe that, probably very. Not everyone gets bullied as a kid. In fact that majority of kids don't have much issue in school. It's the ones that don't fit into any group, are different and don't belong that have to deal with the real abuse. You don't see "popular kid A" being a whipping boy. You don't see "Football Scholarship B" being jumped in the locker room. It's the outcasts, the ones that don't have a niche to fall into. The ones at the bottom of the pack. And I hate to break it to you but they're not there for any other reason apart from being different 9/10.

And as the effect it has on people, some of them become depressed and with a lack of self esteem. Some commit suicide. Some just become shut ins that don't trust others. Some of them stop being bullied because they decide to change who they are to make everyone else happy. But then you have your special cases. The kind that don't break under the pressure. The ones that decide that life is a food chain and the only way to survive is to become the top predator. The lion in a cage full of lambs.

Take me for example. Eight years of being the bottom rung. Eight years of being spit on, beaten up, abused by my peers, my stuff taken, smashed. Eight years of teachers ignoring what was happening to me. You want to know what happened on the start of the next year? Dragging some kids face across the lockers. Tossing a kid down the stairs. Smashing a kids face into the pavement. I wasn't ready to survive a fire, I wanted to start them. I wanted to see how much I could break open the social order of the school. I wanted to be the top dog not by popularity, but by carving my way to the top with my own fingernails. Wouldn't that be the perfect trial for everybody? Having to deal with somebody like me?

Nope.

The school quickly sent my ass off to a one stop from prison kind of place for other unwanteds like me. You'd never know a place like it unless you'd spent a while there. I used to walk into school hearing screams of kids being restrained. I even learned to be able to sleep through those sounds. During my time there I assaulted teachers, got into fights with students. They couldn't anger proof the place enough for me and my fellow students. I once even ripped a bolted down desk out of the floor and tossed it across the room just to see the reaction. Do you think that's a good thing to be? Do you think that's somebody ready to face the world?

No, of course it isn't. It took years to rehabilitate me from what I'd been turned into and even today I look at somebody I don't like and at times start to think of things to do to them. That's what your bullying gets. That's what it turned me into. So go ahead and tell yourself that stuff like that is preparing us for the world, because it ain't. It's not doing jack shit to teach us anything. The type of world it prepared me for was the kind I still sometimes find myself lusting for. And it's not one that you or anyone else wants to see.

***Quick edit***

But really? Setting cops on cyber bullying? It's not like you can't just block the person from sending you messages, or turn of the computer. I'm sure the cops have something more important to do.

20. Lovecraft

Off the top of my head I recall getting a soccer ball to the balls by an obvious 'accident', feeling alien until about grade 10, An event in which police had to be called due to physical threats, etc.

My dad was bullied in adulthood by a man who continuously pulled up frivolous lawsuits on him despite the constant declaration of his undeniable innocence; it cost him huge amounts of time and aggravation.

And a kid with the chicken pox isn't so happy about the rash, but they gain an invaluable resistance after having dealt with the first traumatic experience.

Everyone's been a bully, even if not a heinous one. Everyone's been bullied, even if not heinously.

Source.

In a two month span as many as 60% of students said they were bullied; over a the span of a school career it's easy to see how everyone will fall into the bullied percent sooner or later with negligible exceptions, and I'm not trusting kids to self-report their instances of being a bully, so I won't even count those even if interesting to see how many admitted.

Bullying in integratedly human, you couldn't stop it short of killing humans. We have the same primal instincts to attack in groups and be aggressive as any reptile.
    Having been shot grants you a certain experience with pain that will often let you better deal with pain in the future - since I had a broken leg reset pain just doesn't bother me as much is small portions. Maybe not always, but often, it helps in future painful experiences.

That said the number of people that will be shot in their life is considerably smaller than those that will be bullied; in that case it may be true the bullied don't gain any resistance to future bullies but a lot of them do (I did) and if you don't get bullied your resistance to the inevitable bullies in your life will be zero - better to grow up as a child than in the workplace.

See statistics above. In a single 2 month as many as 60% of kids will get bullied.

And getting over the fact that shit happens is a crucial part of childhood. It's not pretty and it's not optimal, but kids need to get over the fact that shit *WILL* happen to them regardless of how good or bad a person they are.

Suicide is a statistical anomaly, and is in >90% of cases carried out by a person that had been living with a diagnosable mental illness.

And learning to re-balance yourself and rethink your criteria for finding someone trustworthy is a key part of growing up. I got diagnosed with Schizoid Personality Disorder and learning to rebalanced myself into a more rounded character is and has been the key to reaching maturity.

That rarely works in my experience, but if even if it does see above - figuring out what you will be is a key part of growing up and if you're a sycophant than you'll always adapt around the people around you - who you are is malleable if you're willing to be malleable.

You mean kids that say 'Shit happens and if I get physically threatened I'll be wary and potentially ask for external protection but my mind can withstand the barrage of their simplistically aggressive twaddle due to my superior character'?

That happens too; if you're unable to re-balance your character as most everyone will do from ages 16 -24 then you haven't grown up. Childhood and adolescence are a time of extended experimentation in self-identity.

You sound repentant. Good. You grew up into a better you. Congratulation - no sarcasm there, some people never seem to grow up.

I've been forcefully held in a mental health ward, but I imagine the comparisons are few.

Again, you sound repentant and different. Good work, the trauma of childhood turned you into an adult capable to understand the world isn't butterflies and I think you're the better for the experience.

I spent a full 5 years planning, and attempting suicide while in an almost fugue-like experience of depressing life and it cultivated in a year of inpatient treatment, not entirely voluntary, and I'm the better for it - I would be a much less mentally capable person if not for having that experience - learning to come to terms with bad things and finding ways to survive.

I have 0 disagreement there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.