Police shoot suicidal man.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by cult logic, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Best article I could find.

Saw it in the papers this morning.

At any rate, being a local and knowing the police here; I think it was less that he was an immediate threat, and more that the bored cops here wanted to be the big hero that shot the the bad guy.

2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

No tasers on NH officers?

3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

They have them, but obviously he was too dangerous to use a stun gun on.

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

He only had a couple of knives, right?

5. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Er.. Well I donno. Shouldn't they have had tasers? I mean once they determined he was alone.. they should have taken a more pro-active course of subduing him. Though we don't know what happened in the moments that they met him. Perhaps they started talking to him and he angrily responded by lunging at them with the knife(from his perspective to tell them to fuck off), and all the cops on edge fired their already aimed weapons at him.

There's bound to be limitless possibilities. I wish police officers were more mentally stable to deal with these situations, by realizing the drastic influence their presence has. And then just the simple comments, gestures, stances in the rooms, how many are there ect. I donno. What a shitty story.
    I can understand one shot, possible two. But more then that?
    This is how Canadians deal with an armed man with knifes(granted he's on the street not his home) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zfZSyEO230&has_verified=1

6. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

too dangerous for a taser? It doesnt even sound like he attacked the cops.

besides a taser drops you instantaneously and can be shot from a distance.

I dunno. Shooting is supposed to be last resort. Hell mase mighta worked?

It depends, was he running at him, or was he just sitting there with the knife to his wrist?

Your first post sounds about right.

7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

At least in theory police have pistols to keep a shootout contained until the ETF/SWAT/Whatever is en route. At least in theory the local police are never meant to kill anybody, only incapacitate at worst.

8. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Poor Larry. The guy is already suicidal, and now he's lying in a hospital bed?

But the even sadder thing is that this is one of those situations where it's bad for everyone. Larrys in a critical condition, he was and maybe still is suicidal, doctors have another patient they are trying to save, Salem is getting bad publicity, and there are a bunch of cops who are most likely feeling terrible about whether or not this man dies unnecessarily, and that if he did it'd be their fault.

I hate these kinds of stories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.