Police suicide investigation

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Maj2004, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maj2004

Maj2004 New Member

Do police check the IP of a suicide?

The reason I ask is because I don't want my parents to remember me as a pervert, since I look at some bad sites.

2. altek001

altek001 Well-Known Member

unless you have a broadband connection, your IP isn't static (isn't just one #) if you're dial-up, like me, your IP changes every time you connect. if they really wanted to nose about, they could get the logs from your ISP and match them to the ones that you had at those same times..

what usually happens (if they check your computer at all) is that they scan your computer for anything that's suicide related..the internet is obviously the best source for things like that so they'd scan your browser's history and cache...just clean out both of those and unless the police runs a program that scans all the 'empty' parts (parts okayed to be rewritten) and shows the contents thereof, your parents wouldn't know what you did with your internet...though there are programs available that wipe those completely clean (visit download.com or any other favorite download sites you have for such progs).

...i would hope that you wouldn't commit suicide..but the choice is ultimately yours.

PM me if you have any other questions...

take care,
    - Henry

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Maj, I should think what u were looking at on your computer would be the last thing on their minds if you killed yourself.

Please talk either here or to someone you trust...failing that the Samaritans are wonderful, before taking such a drastic step.

We have moments have crisis and will understand.

4. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Indeed - see the International Crisis Numbers page for numbers to call and people to speak to :)

Also, try e-mailing the Samaritans - as Devastated said, they are wonderful ....

Please take care and remember that these feelings you are having will pass :hug:

Take care, stay strong :)

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2006
  5. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

You can delete it all. Just go up to tools , browser or internet options , then delete all cookies and previously downloaded files etcetera.

6. One who listens..

One who listens.. Well-Known Member

Zohmygob, good suggestion, but ways to track around that.

Maj, the police won't tell your parents what they find if it has nothing pertaining to suicide. Most people look at 'bad' sites. The things they'll be looking for are the things they'll tell yor parents about.

7. Raven

Raven Guest

I should chime in here. First the only sure way to destroy files on a hard disk is by destroying the disk itself, the only other way is to get a program that will zeros to the hard disk and run at least 5 passes (this will make the magnetic signiture of the old files almost impossilbe to recover). Some search engines will keep records of what has been searced and via what ip address, 99% of all address that you will be given are dynamic and handed to you via the ISP DNS server. Dial up, broadband etc, unless you have specifed a static address you will be on a leased address. This means you can still be tracked but it is very hard to do, and I truly doubt that your ISP would keep, track or record that information (the overhead would be huge.)

I simply mention this as I am a huge beliver in ones privacy and I know far to many people that think by hitting the dealet key that they have removed the information off their computer.

Maj2004, the bigger issues are why you feel the way you do, what has brought you here and why? Maybe we can help, also do not worry about being tought a pervert for looking at bad sites, I know all of my freinds look at some pretty funky stuff. I wish you luck and I truly hope you will tell us what is bothering you.

~Raven

(sorry for grammer and spelling mine spell checker has yet to be reinstalled :) )

(EDIT) just in case, if you try writing zeros to your hard drive to wipe out information IT WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING and I MEAN EVERYTHING on you harddisk.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  8. carbon

carbon Member

Simply deleting your browser cache files leaves them retrievable by people who have the right tools. You will need a program that deletes and rewrites random numbers on top of those files to make them completely disappear. http://dban.sourceforge.net/ works quite nicely, and will destroy any and all data on your hard drive (I mean everything: operating system, programs, all of your files, etc.) If you are worried about people tracing your browser history http://www.torrify.com/download.php is a very effective program that routes your internet traffic through encrypted proxies.

But your browsing history is the least of your worries. You will be remembered for who you are, not the websites you visited. Everyone goes to perveted websites sometimes, everyone. I can't pretend to understand how you're feeling, but I know that it helps to talk, even if it is only writing a letter to someone. Good luck.

9. painsource

painsource Well-Known Member

How bout smashing the computer with a sledge hammer.Would that delete the files?

10. smackh2o

smackh2o Well-Known Member

If the strips are still intact and youve just broken the casing then no. Its like the strip in a floppy disc. you can break the casing and put the disc in another case and it will work. Setting fire to it should do it, but you shouldnt have to be thinking about these things. It's just a stage of setting up a suicide. Do you really want to die?

11. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

Format the disk, should wipe everything...

But please talk about what's wrong instead of killing yourself. Looking at some bad sites doesn't make you a pervert.

12. CursedSoul

CursedSoul Active Member

Your parents would not care what you did on your computer, they would be too busy blaming themselves for not seeing that you were in truble, and that they didn't help you.

13. reborn1961

reborn1961 Guest

If the police have cause to suspect something other than suicide (ie you didn't leave a note thus is considered a homicide till proven otherwise) they will search whatever they need to which includes your computer. You cannot truly delete a broadband IP and dial is is not stationary. However, unless you are a heck of a computer person, even stuff you delete can bed undeleted by the technology that police have. I know for certain that even if you format your hard drive that some states have police technology that can unformat and get the info as long as they get to the computer withing 24 hours.

Bottom line, if you want to die the last thing you should worry about is your computer or anything else you may leave behind. People that truly care about you will morn losing you and not care about much else. Hope you change your mind, good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.