• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Poll-Doctors, what are they good for?

Should I talk to a Doctor about how I feel?

• Yes

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wispiwill

So, for those that don't know, I have times when I feel somewhat less than stellar. In all probability I have depression and anxiety but I've never actually spoken to a Doctor about how I feel and have, thus, never actually been diagnosed. Hell, for all I know I'm just a sad sack that likes to feel sorry for myself and I should just pull myself together and start acting like an adult.

It's something I think about periodically but, for some reason, it's not going away at the moment so I'm caving into temptation and asking for opinions.

Should I talk to a Doctor about things or just keep riding it out (I mean, I've gotten this far, right?). Please vote (Poll closes in 7 days) and, please - give reasons for your vote. That would be helpful.

Thanks.

btw-not saying I'm going to abide by the group decision. Just want feedback. Once again - thanks.

You have to start somewhere. Getting better is a long journey but if you never start the journey you never finish it either. You are surrounded by people here who are all on different journeys and at different places along their journeys. But those who are close to the end of their journey seem to think its worth it. It’s worth fighting to feel better, it doesn’t matter how difficult and long the journey is. You still have a lot of time ahead of you. Why can’t some of that be happy? You’ll also have me with you for the whole journey should you decide to embark upon it. XX

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
They can make the decisions in order to keep you safe and less depressed or whatever else it is you may be suffering from. They can connect you with the right people whether that is a psychiatrist or psychologist or both by doing mood assessments etc.

I think we know ourselves best, we are experts on our own bodies and if you feel you have depression and anxiety then there's a good chance you do, no-one is a ''sad sack'' for no reason. I think leave it up to the professionals for a true and thorough diagnosis.

I think you should definitely make an appointment as soon as possible and go from there, I doubt you will regret it. Go to a doctor that has a lot of experience perhaps?

Go for it, we're all behind you :)

Sunspots

Pffffeckn amazin
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
What do you have to lose?
If you speak to your doctor and give their advice a try and it doesn't work, then you can stop and walk away. But if you follow their advice and it helps, then that's great. But you're not going to end up worse off whatever you decide.

I say yes, but also with great awareness that the quality of care will relate to your resources. Some doctors and therapists can cause more harm, or won't have time to really listen to you and follow your progress. This is often the case with low income insurance, free resources, etc. But if you have the capacity to decide doctors, or are just "on the fence," then might as well give it a go.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
There's really no reason to not see a doctor. This isn't the 1930's. An enormous amount of medical information (by 'medical information', I don't mean what Aunt Brenda said after she drank her special 'teas') is available online to all of us. We aren't completely and unquestionably at the mercy of anyone in a white lab coat anymore. First, educate yourself on the full range of what your symptoms might be indicating, then, go see a doctor, and take it from there.

Lane

SF Supporter
Hi. I voted yes and thought that you could hear what the doctor says. You can choose whether to follow up with it or not. He/she may want to assess how you feel and the severity of that. Here they do it on a scale of 1 to 10, for each question for the intake so it's not too bad or intrusive.

I think that a diagnosis is important mainly if meds are prescribed. But, if there's a plan to get better, such as work on goals and sort out problems then it's worth taking the initial step to see what healthcare can offer. It's hard to beat depression and anxiety and whatever other mental issues on your own.

shattered dreams

My scars are healed, doesnt mean the pain is gone
Should I talk to a Doctor about things or just keep riding it out (I mean, I've gotten this far, right?). Please vote (Poll closes in 7 days) and, please - give reasons for your vote. That would be helpful.
I voted yes
I locked myself in my bed for just over 13yrs, only leaving to get food or meds, this was the result, My wife finally got my Dr. involved and set up therapy for me, I was so spun out of control, that I just fell apart in her office.
I should have seen a Dr. a long time ago, because now I'm a total mess.

the ultimate decision is yours, for me I was just existing and just barely at that.

Wispiwill

There's really no reason to not see a doctor. This isn't the 1930's. An enormous amount of medical information (by 'medical information', I don't mean what Aunt Brenda said after she drank her special 'teas') is available online to all of us. We aren't completely and unquestionably at the mercy of anyone in a white lab coat anymore. First, educate yourself on the full range of what your symptoms might be indicating, then, go see a doctor, and take it from there.
It's hard to explain it but I hide. I've hidden for so long now, I don't know if I can stop. I feel safer, hiding. It's why I disappear. And then there's the voice at the back of my head telling me that I'm making it all up - that there's nothing wrong with me. I'm just weak and pathetic and too busy feeling sorry for myself and that a doctor would realise that and I wouldn't be able to pretend anymore. I don't think I could cope with that. Not sure any of that will make sense to you. Sorry.

Sunspots

Pffffeckn amazin
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
It's hard to explain it but I hide. I've hidden for so long now, I don't know if I can stop. I feel safer, hiding. It's why I disappear. And then there's the voice at the back of my head telling me that I'm making it all up - that there's nothing wrong with me. I'm just weak and pathetic and too busy feeling sorry for myself and that a doctor would realise that and I wouldn't be able to pretend anymore. I don't think I could cope with that. Not sure any of that will make sense to you. Sorry.
That makes absolute perfect sense to me. It's how I felt for nearly 30 years, particularly the last 10. Hiding it feels safe, if we don't tell anyone it's not really happening. And of course we tell ourselves that we're just being weak and pathetic, it's got to be us in the wrong, right? Because depression will make us believe that, it lies to us and skews our thinking, it makes us out to be the baddie in it all.
No decent doctor will turn you away. They see this every day and they will do their best to make you feel better.

Wispiwill

That makes absolute perfect sense to me. It's how I felt for nearly 30 years, particularly the last 10. Hiding it feels safe, if we don't tell anyone it's not really happening. And of course we tell ourselves that we're just being weak and pathetic, it's got to be us in the wrong, right? Because depression will make us believe that, it lies to us and skews our thinking, it makes us out to be the baddie in it all.
No decent doctor will turn you away. They see this every day and they will do their best to make you feel better.
So, I take it that you bit the bullet and went to the Doctors. And how did that go for you?

Last chance for someone to say NO and to post their horror stories
You'll very likely feel a lot better if you get some form of treatment.
Hell, for all I know I'm just a sad sack that likes to feel sorry for myself and I should just pull myself together and start acting like an adult.
People who aren't depressed and who don't understand anything about depression often think depressed people can just "snap out of it", or some variation of that. That's not to say that things like perspective aren't meaningful, but usually a depressed person needs some form of help. If you've been depressed for at least 9 years, you probably would have willed yourself out of being depressed if depression is something that you can simply will yourself out of.

If you're at risk for a suicide attempt, seeing a doctor and getting medication, at least until you're no longer suicidal, is important.

If you're not at risk for an attempt, and you'd prefer to try some other treatment methods first, I think that's perfectly fine. The links in my signature have some information about other treatment methods.

Here's a copy of the links in case you're on a phone

Treating Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia and General Help
Acupressure Self-Massage for Depression, Insomnia, and Anxiety

Walker

Admin-a-monkey
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Last chance for someone to say NO and to post their horror stories. Poll will be closing tomorrow.
I feel like people don't want you to skip being seen by a doctor. It's in your best interest, you know.

Is it? Then why am I so terrified of it?
Fear of the unknown. It’s natural. Most of us would have been terrified and possibly still are. But nothing happens quickly or without your permission, you have the control and can take or leave what ever you want. It’s a single step and can be as big or small as you want it to be. XX

Nick

☆☆Still Ducking Fantastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Is it? Then why am I so terrified of it?
I don't like going to the doctor, in fact I hate it. That being said, I still know it's the best thing for me. I'll fight it and wait too long, and in the end it would have been better to just go in the first place. It's terrifying because you're putting your faith in someone else. You aren't alone in the fear, but it's still the best thing to seek out a medical professional.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$30.00
Goal
$255.00