• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Poll: How effective are your psychiatric medications in treating your mental disorder/s?

How effective are your psychiatric medications in treating your mental disorder/s?

• Not at all effective

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A little effective, but not enough to make a significant difference in my mood/functioning.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Moderately effective; they have made a significant difference in symptom reduction.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Very effective; they have made all or most of my symptoms go away.

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Aurelia

🔶🔸✴ 👑 ✴🔸🔶
I have to come up with a survey topic for my statistics course. So bottom line, I'm going to be making a survey, and guess who my population sample is? You guys, of course! Because I don't know anyone else, haha. The only thing is, the topic has to be rather specific, so here's the deal. I need only certain types of people to answer this poll, who fit various criteria:

-You have to be living in either the US or UK.
-You have to be between the ages of 18 and 64.
-You must currently be taking some type of psychiatric medication/s.
-You must have been on these medications long enough for them to fully build up in your system and take effect (unless they are meant to work instantly); this is usually 6-8 weeks.
-You must have been officially diagnosed with a mental disorder.

This, however, is merely the survey topic itself (How effective are psychiatric medications for treating mental disorders in adults, ages 18 to 64, living in the US and UK?)

Beyond that, there will also be more polls coming about the topic. I need this to be accurate, so please be truthful. If you wish to answer and don't fit the sample criteria, just post your answer in the thread itself, but please don't answer the actual poll.

The people who answer this poll are going to be the same people whom I'm going to need to answer future polls on the matter. So yes, I'll be bugging you guys in the future as well. Lol.

Thanks in advance, everyone. Love you all. <3

EmB

Absolute Peach!
I put the bit that says "A little effective" because at first, I felt a difference, my moods were less extreme, felt a bit flatter, but just after Christmas they seemed to stop, and they've not been helping since then really. Am planning a trip to the GP to get it fixed now I'm back near my GP.

Good luck with your survey and stats! It sounds interesting :)

Sending hugs

Auri

🎸🎼Rock Star🎼🎸
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Awww I can't answer. :D Or can I pretend I'm from the UK? I'm very close! No one will know. *shh Ah, and I'm not currently on my meds, I recently stopped...

Just kidding. I actually answered before I read your post (sorry ^^) so you can just remove my vote. I answered that they've been very effective for me as they did remove lots of my major symptoms. :)

Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️

§ Eclectic nutbag ©
SF Supporter
I said moderately because it helps with my anxiety and depression. I haven't had any panic attacks in several years, and I'm not as suicidal as I used to be. It's harder to treat the BPD though so that throws off my answer a bit.

Aurelia

🔶🔸✴ 👑 ✴🔸🔶
I said moderately because it helps with my anxiety and depression. I haven't had any panic attacks in several years, and I'm not as suicidal as I used to be. It's harder to treat the BPD though so that throws off my answer a bit.
It definitely is hard to treat BPD with medication. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Treating BPD is mostly based on changing perspective and behavior. Thus, a simple boost of serotonin or what have you, usually won't do the trick. But in conjunction with therapy, it's a much better option.

cymbele

SF Supporter
I have been on meds for so long I can't remember. Actually one time I did go off them and the suicidal thoughts came back, I got more depressed, and people said I was more difficult to live with. So I went back on them and life has gotten better. I say life has gotten better but at the time I was going through a divorce, a loss of job and a difficult teenager at the same time. But I am better overall nowadays but am afraid of going off the meds. I am bipolar II by the way.

Lane

SF Supporter
Hi @Aurelia. Good luck with your project. I hope you'll tell us the results when you're done.

I have been on the same meds for over about 5 years. The Dr. Wanted to add something to boost my mood but I was afraid it would be noticable at work and I'd act more hyper there than I already do so it's just piling up. I figure one day if I dont have insurance I'll take it. I know this sounds naive but I fear that I could be in that position.

Mine is for depression, anxiety and impulsive behavior. At one point is was for Bipolar but decided that was misdiagnosed. I just want to feel better.

MisterBGone

Hi @Aurelia. Good luck with your project. I hope you'll tell us the results when you're done.

I have been on the same meds for over about 5 years. The Dr. Wanted to add something to boost my mood but I was afraid it would be noticable at work and I'd act more hyper there than I already do so it's just piling up. I figure one day if I dont have insurance I'll take it. I know this sounds naive but I fear that I could be in that position.

Mine is for depression, anxiety and impulsive behavior. At one point is was for Bipolar but decided that was misdiagnosed. I just want to feel better.
Maybe you could give it a go - and just see what happens with a little trial run? If the docs suggesting it, it might not hurt... with how astute you sound and aware of the situation & scenario at work (this “conscientiousness!”), you may be just find seeing if it will help and or provide some level of therapeutic benefit? And if it doesn’t, or it doesn’t without the risk of what you’re worried about, you can always abandon it. I’m sure you’ve expressed this hesitancy, or the reasons for your resistance to your doctor. If you have not, they may be able to try some different things in regards either the type of drug (kind), or adjustment of dosage. . . : )

Lane

SF Supporter
Maybe you could give it a go - and just see what happens with a little trial run? If the docs suggesting it, it might not hurt... with how astute you sound and aware of the situation & scenario at work (this “conscientiousness!”), you may be just find seeing if it will help and or provide some level of therapeutic benefit? And if it doesn’t, or it doesn’t without the risk of what you’re worried about, you can always abandon it. I’m sure you’ve expressed this hesitancy, or the reasons for your resistance to your doctor. If you have not, they may be able to try some different things in regards either the type of drug (kind), or adjustment f dosage. . . : )
Thanks @MisterBGone. With the holidays coming up I might. Lucky bcz the girls at work will say if one of us is acting up, very opinionated bunch 😏

@Aurelia I have PTSD, and I have been on medication for about 4 years now. I live in Texas, and I am currently 37 years old.

I was on Prozac, minimum dose, and it wasn't really doing anything. Like, it took some edge off, but not really. So I switched to Lexapro about a year ago, after a friend said it really helped him. I got on a much higher dose too, and I'm doing much better now. Based on the options in the poll, I would say it's moderate overall.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$510.00
Goal
$255.00