Poll, Is guilt something that holds you back from committing suicide?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ryanglander, Jan 16, 2010.

Is guilt something that stops you from committing suicide?

1. yes

127 vote(s)
  2. no

68 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

I'm reffering to the pain that would be felt by people after your death.
  2. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Not guilt, but fear of physical pain/disability. That means I'm really not ready to commit suicide. They say when mental pain outweighs physical pain, you're ready.
  3. Silent Angel

Silent Angel Well-Known Member

That's definitely what's holding me back.
  4. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

yeah it is :sad:
  5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

While of course thinking of my family grieving makes me sad I have not and do not feel guilty about my previous attempts nor does guilt factor into my reasoning for committing possibly in the future.

Maybe I am taking your poll too literally but to me guilt implies a sense of doing something wrong which is not a feeling I have associated with my family and suicide. That being said I have not committed because of my father but this is based upon not wanting to make him sad and not due to any feelings of guilt. Like I said I may be taking your question too literally and this just a matter of semantics because it is my father that is holding me back at this point.
  6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Hell no. Of course not. So they're going to grieve temporarily; they'll get over it. All people eventually do.

One's permanent relief outweighs another's temporary grief. It's a mathematical certainty.
  7. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Not at all. Suicide is the act of a person who ultimately rejects the reality that's been forced upon him or her. I don't view that as a tragic thing at all. If people are saddened by such defiance, that's on them.
  8. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

As far as I understand it, they would be saddened because it is generally unnatural to reject reality (i.e life), and not just that, but also the fact that they would never see the person again, by removing the possibility of reunion.
  9. boo

boo Well-Known Member

No because time always mend everything.... or does it... :wink:
  10. Mortal Moon

The word "unnatural" sends up a lot of red flags for me. What is unnatural, exactly? If everything is part of nature, do unnatural things even exist? And how are we certain that suicide is not in some people's nature? I believe it's in mine, for example.
  11. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Unnatural is something that goes against common nature. Since humans have a natural will to survive, I would define suicide as unnatural (I'm not talking about someones nature, that's different). Something could feel natural to you, or the right thing, but it wouldn't be considered natural unless a lot of species of nature did it, and did it often.
  12. Mortal Moon

If you want to define "natural" that way- i.e., a "majority rules" kind of thing- then sure. But then, I would say that unnatural doesn't mean wrong, unless you're also morally opposed to flying in airplanes, using electricity, and having a formalized legal code.

Personally, when I say something is "natural," I simply mean that it occurs in the natural universe; this obviously includes suicide.

ODIECOM Well-Known Member

it never really bothered me ... when it came right down to it .. that day .. i didnt care about anything.

yes you can sit and plan it out, brood about it, walk yourself through the whole senerio .. back off when you think of your loved ones ... stall the process, talk to others etc. etc. but when one SNAPS all bets are off. had i had enough .... i would have been successful. i didnt have enough, but i was still willing to try. its the mindset that your in at the time.
  14. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

Experiencing guilt does not necessarily mean you have done something wrong because you would not want to make your dad sad, that is you would feel a sense of guilt.

I guess I would have looked for a yes.

The results here are quite different then I would have suspected, if more people answer the question I would be very grateful.
  15. DS

DS Account Closed

guilt should not be a factor. it can keep one miserable. sticking around because u feel bad...ugh

but many of us NEVER get over it. and it NEVER eases for even a moment. and we are haunted by it. ugh, i can't go there at the moment. and for many of us, time does nothing for us...time does not always heal, that's a bullshit statement. Time is torture.

It is a living hell.
    that makes u want to plunge into deaths embrace with open arms.
  16. katrina

katrina Well-Known Member

In my case, yes. But only in case of my children.

Or maybe say that this guilt keeps me hanging barely for now.
  17. daniel2

daniel2 Banned Member

not guilt but responsibility
  18. dzd

dzd Well-Known Member

My parents will be devastated.
    I was born after great difficulty, after my mother had several miscarriages.
    I think I'd rather live in pain than cause them pain.
    But sometimes I feel like they would be better off without me.
  19. ozbound

ozbound Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

It's not guilt that holds me back although I don't doubt that my family and friends will be sad but they will get over it. I have no doubt I will do it just need to make the final decision as to when as I just need a few more questions answered and that is what is holding me back.
  20. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Yes, I couldn't go thru with it because of my grandaughter.. We lost my brother in law to cancer and it tore her up.. The other day my neices dog got run over and she cried all day over it.. My grandaughter loves me so for now I can't see going thru with it..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.