• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Poll: Which course should I take next for school?

What should I take next?

• Biology

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Statistics

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Another psych course

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Philosophy/ethics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aurelia

๐Ÿ”ถ๐Ÿ”ธโœด ๐Ÿ‘‘ โœด๐Ÿ”ธ๐Ÿ”ถ
I'm a little afraid to take statistics because I absolutely suck at formulas and probability and all that crap. But I'm still going to have to take it at some point, so maybe I should just get it out of the way. And the bonus is, I highly doubt that there will be any papers at least, considering it's a math course. But I took statistics before, years ago, and barely passed with a D, so I don't know. Biology would probably be easier, but I may have to write more papers for that and honestly, I feel like I need a fucking break from those. There are also more psychology courses, as well as a philosophy/ethics course, but all those would require writing more papers as well. What would you go for in my position?

Walker

Admin-a-monkey
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Seems as though you are GOOD at writing papers and you're gonna be writing those infinitely if you're in school, right? So that's kind of a "suck it up" thing, sorry to say. So maybe you're burnt out a bit on psych right now. Okay then. What do you feel like next fits the bill?
(In other words - I vote "not psych"/something else)

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
As you have to take stats anyway, maybe get it out of the way now and be done with it. As you've mentioned, there's less likelihood of there being any papers to write compared to the other courses so in that respect is a good thing.

Also, you could always ask @Auri to work on your stats papers *shh

iwihbn

Don't the sun look angry at me?
I'm a little afraid to take statistics because I absolutely suck at formulas and probability and all that crap. But I'm still going to have to take it at some point, so maybe I should just get it out of the way. And the bonus is, I highly doubt that there will be any papers at least, considering it's a math course. But I took statistics before, years ago, and barely passed with a D, so I don't know. Biology would probably be easier, but I may have to write more papers for that and honestly, I feel like I need a fucking break from those. There are also more psychology courses, as well as a philosophy/ethics course, but all those would require writing more papers as well. What would you go for in my position?
Stats can be really fun. While I was taking PSTAT I found the learning curve hard asf, but the first couple of weeks was simple.

Auri

๐ŸŽธ๐ŸŽผRock Star๐ŸŽผ๐ŸŽธ
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I know that for me my biomedical courses were very refreshing because of the different learning methods and content, I believe you'd feel similarly if you took biology or statistics. I don't know what kind of biology course it is (general human bio?), but I had lots of those and never had to write a single paper. It was mostly learning stuff by heart.

For stats, obviously even less papers. ;) If you have to take it anyway, I assume the psychology courses are the "simplest" in the beginning of your studies, so it can be a good idea to take stats sooner rather than later, when you are less overwhelmed and tired of it all, too.

Philosophy and ethics would probably be a walk in the park for you. You may find it interesting for your personal interest, but I wouldn't expect anything too advanced in case that's what you seek. I believe it'd be more of an introduction.

Just a few thoughts. ^^

PS. I'd be glad to do some stats with you.
It'll definitely require for me to go back to the books though, it's the part of maths I remember the least.

Aurelia

I know that for me my biomedical courses were very refreshing because of the different learning methods and content, I believe you'd feel similarly if you took biology or statistics. I don't know what kind of biology course it is (general human bio?), but I had lots of those and never had to write a single paper. It was mostly learning stuff by heart.

For stats, obviously even less papers. ;) If you have to take it anyway, I assume the psychology courses are the "simplest" in the beginning of your studies, so it can be a good idea to take stats sooner rather than later, when you are less overwhelmed and tired of it all, too.

Philosophy and ethics would probably be a walk in the park for you. You may find it interesting for your personal interest, but I wouldn't expect anything too advanced in case that's what you seek. I believe it'd be more of an introduction.

Just a few thoughts. ^^

PS. I'd be glad to do some stats with you.
It'll definitely require for me to go back to the books though, it's the part of maths I remember the least.
To be honest, right now, I'm not looking for anything too advanced that requires a lot of brain power :P And I mean that in the sense of papers, for me, require a lot of brain power for the simple fact that I overthink every single word that I write and completely burn myself out. Granted, stats also requires a lot of brain power, but not in the same way as having to write research papers. With stats, I don't see how research papers would fit into the mix, so there's that. And as long as you understand what you're doing, there's only one right answer to each problem, so there's no need to overthink writing the answer in 100 different ways like I do with research papers. Only problem is, I probably won't have the slightest clue what I'm doing, haha. But I'd definitely be happy to accept some help if you're willing to give it. My thinking on the matter is that as long as I understand the material, I should be able to run right through the assignments without stressing myself out too much.

These past few weeks have been rough. First, I got sick a couple weeks ago (and I'm actually still coughing a bit even now). Then my Crohn's was causing all sorts of issues where I was pain most of the time and throwing up everything I ate. Then because of the issues with the Crohn's, I became potassium and calcium deficient again to the point where I was getting even more symptoms that had me considering going to the hospital. My body felt extremely weak to the point where my legs would actually give out on me when I did anything too strenuous, and I was so fatigued that I kept sleeping multiple times during the day. So as you can imagine, with all that going on, I was in no condition to focus on schoolwork. I kept postponing my due dates for my papers, which I'm actually kind of upset about because I planned on finishing this course way sooner (I just submitted my last assignment yesterday). I've been eating bananas every day, taking calcium, and my stomach seems to be doing better right now. I'm not fully better, but I'm better than before at least. And I can't exactly take a hiatus from this because financial aid won't look too kindly upon that. And plus, I do want to finish this degree as quickly as possible. So I have to keep going and choose another course. But anyway, sorry, I'm kind of rambling now.

Bottom line is, I do think that I should probably get stats out of the way, and it will most likely give me a much needed break from all the writing. Mind you, I am afraid that I'll end up getting a shitty grade, but it's a required course, and this is going to have to happen one way or another, so might as well be now, I guess. So all that said, I suppose I'm leaning toward stats at the moment.

Baywasp

I want wind to blow
I got my stats out of the way early when I was doing undergrad and that was a pretty good decision because I found my motivation flagging the longer my schooling went. If I'd done stats later, I might not have wanted to study as much or have been as organized. So it might be a good idea, especially since you seem to be leaning towards that.

Gonz

sick and tired of being sick and tired
I think you're making the right call with getting statistics out of the way. And if you're worried about a less than stellar grade, does that matter so much as long as you pass?

neutralbuoyancy

stuck in place yet again
so um my sister is taking a "psych" class which is basically a stats class taught by a "psych" professor

Aurelia

I think you're making the right call with getting statistics out of the way. And if you're worried about a less than stellar grade, does that matter so much as long as you pass?
Um...you do know who you're talking to, right? Lol.

Aurelia

My cousin, the recent doctor (somewhat worryingly) told me this:

Q: You know what they call the guy who got straight D's all through medical school?

A: Doctor.
I'm the type of person who gets extremely down on myself if I don't meet my own standards, especially when it comes to academics because intelligence/knowledge is something I deeply value. And my standards, regardless of whether it's a psych course or a math course are 90 or higher. Anything less, and it makes me feel incompetent and stupid. I realize that that's probably unrealistic and/or extreme, but that's just how I am.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
I'm the type of person who gets extremely down on myself if I don't meet my own standards, especially when it comes to academics because intelligence/knowledge is something I deeply value. And my standards, regardless of whether it's a psych course or a math course are 90 or higher. Anything less, and it makes me feel incompetent and stupid. I realize that that's probably unrealistic and/or extreme, but that's just how I am.
Hear what you're saying. Personal pride is obviously a good driving force to get a job done well.

However one thing I would add, and that is trying to adopt a more pragmatic approach? The view I tend to take is that in the majority of cases, it doesn't necessarily matter as to what standard a qualification has been attained but rather how well you can put it in practice.

Aurelia

Well, my stats course actually isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It doesn't have as much to do with actual math as it does with descriptive and analytical statistics. Thank fucking god, dude, because that shit is like reading Chinese to me. The first assignment actually seems relatively easy, too. All I have to do is devise a (pretend) study that I'm going to have to analyze estimated results for. And it has to be something specific, from what I've gathered. So I was thinking of doing something like, perhaps, the amount of homeless addicts in Philadelphia who OD on Fentanyl/opiates.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$410.00
Goal
$255.00