Poor sleeping habits.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Iorchova, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iorchova

Iorchova New Member

I'm not positive where this goes, but it seemed like a disorder, so I put it here. As the thread title would suggest I have horrible sleep patterns. Last night I went to bed at 4 AM went woke up at 10 AM. For the first semester of school last year I was late almost every day because I overslept. In the mornings I have to drive to wake up. At night I have to drive to sleep. Sometimes during school I don't sleep solely because I'm not sure how the next day at school will play out. I'm too afraid of waking up to go to school that I don't sleep at all.

A few weeks ago all I did was sleep. I went to bed around 5 PM every day after school and sometimes slept until 7 in the morning. Even now I feel like I just want to go to bed. There's nothing I can do anyway, and staying up will just keep my mind on these depressing suicidal thoughts. At least when I'm asleep I don't think those things.
  2. cassandra

cassandra Anitiquities Friend

I think a lot of people who are depressed develop poor sleeping habits...I've had nights when I couldn't sleep more than a couple hours and other times when I couldn't stay awake more than 6-8 hours a day. If worrying about not waking on time is keeping you from sleeping, is there someone who could call you before class?

Do you have some safe ways to self-soothe? Some people like to take baths, others like to read fluffy books or watch old movies.

I haven't seen your other posts, but if you have a therapist they could probably make more suggestions.

Hope this is helpful.
  3. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

My sleeping patterns are horrendous, and getting worse. Half the time ill try to get to sleep really early, like 9pm, then I end up waking up half way through the night, playing with the cat, getting up, taking a leak, browse the net, back to bed, think for an hour, get up again...then I end up falling asleep and getting up at midday, still very tired

Either that or I go to bed at 3 or 4am, still getting up at midday once again....thats actually better because I seem to sleep more solidly, but its a disgustingly late time to get up...I NEVER use to sleep past 9am once upon a time...ever. Its really fucked up.
  4. cassandra

cassandra Anitiquities Friend

My psychologist said that our bodies receive the most restful sleep between 3 and 5 (or so) in the am; I didn't want to hear that because I get more anxious as it gets closer to bedtime. Most nights I do manage to go to bed around 2 but it can take a long time to go to sleep.

I hope you all sleep well tonight (smile)

(as a newbie I'm having trouble with the smilies)
  5. Cybrsk8r

Cybrsk8r Well-Known Member

Lots of us have trouble sleeping. You might want to cruise the "Night Owl" forum. Some of it is folks posting late at night, but there are some discussions about sleep.

Lorchova - I'd love to be able to sleep for 14 hours. I'm lucky if I get 4-5.
  6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

My sleeping patterns are so bad that the whole day is like one great big, long hour. I don't divide it up into morning, noon and night. It's all the same to me. I sleep when I get sleepy....whenever that is. I've eaten what most people could call breakfast at 2 PM many times. I often eat Pizza or something at 6 AM.

I've always had really wacky sleeping patterns. It's basically like a way of life now. To the point to where people who go to bed at 9 PM seem odd to me. A few times, I've been visiting someone and they'd start getting ready for bed at somewhere between 8 and 10 and I'd just be like "Ummmm....what are you doing?". And then, I suddenly realized that most people have very regular, organized sleep patterns and I was the weird one.
  7. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I've been going to bed around 5am and waking up at 3pm. I kinda like it though because it means I can concentrate on my suicidal ideation without being disturbed. I have nothing to say to people anyway so being asleep during the day is good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.