portfolio

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by wheresmysheep, Mar 5, 2010.

1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

omg i just need to get this all out.

I'm not gonna make it, i'm shit, useless, pointless.
    i havent the energy to do it.
    I'm going to fail fall flat on my face at 100 miles an hour.
    I dont have the drive to pic up a pencil and start working I just cant do it

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Do you think maybe you're struggling to pick up the pencil because everything you have to do seems so overwhelming?

3. wheresmysheep

yes exactly!
    I'm not good enough for this i wont be able to do it, they'll justg reject me
    so whats the point

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

The question is, without all the baggage about the portfolio, and your mum, and the maybes and maybe nots, do you want to be accepted to this course?

5. wheresmysheep

yes i do, i dont know how to put in words how much i want it

6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Ok, that's ok. You don't need words. Now its a case of finding a way to help you complete your portfolio.

Can you tell me what you have to do, and when by?

Hpefully we can come up with a plan that makes this manageable for you and less overwhelming.

7. wheresmysheep

i ahve to put together a portfolio of 12-18 pieces of observational art in different media.
    I have about 6 items already.

and i have till march 22nd at 2pm

8. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Ok.

So you need 6-12 pieces.

And you have 17 days to do that.

If you're doing six pieces, that is nearly three days a piece.

How long does it normally take for you to do art like that? Or does it vary with the media that you use?

9. wheresmysheep

depends on what i'm using if its just pencil shading i can do it in a day, but all my pieces up till now are pencil so i have to start trying to use different media, like charcoal or acrylic paints.
    its not so much the time thats getting to me, it the subject matter i havent a clue what else to draw for it.
    and then the time starts to worry me

10. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Ok, that's good. What sort of stuff do you like to make art pieces of? What have you done so far?

Maybe we could come up with a list of stuff you could try? And maybe a basic timetable for you to play about with? And maybe a list of things to do, and for you to only focus on the next thing on the list and nothing more. Might that work?

11. wheresmysheep

that would be a god send. i need the direction i dont have it at the moment i'm such a mess.
    well at the moment i have:
    a raven (pencil)
    an angel on a swing (pencil)
    a still life with a jug and apple (pencil)
    still life with peppers and a mushroom (pencil)
    my headphones (pencil)
    a Buddha (pencil)
    and i'm thinking of adding a piece i drew for my arm (colour)

12. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Ok, that all sounds great :D And definitely add the colour one for now. If you decide to remove it when you have completed it, then that's cool, but for now, add it because it removes a bit more pressure and gives you another piece.

How about we start with medias. What different medias do you like using? What do you have access to?

(I'm just going to jump in the bath- I'll reply when I'm out).

13. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Oh, and you're not a mess, you're overwhelmed, and that happens to everyone at some point. The trick is to work out how to slow things down, break them up and make them more manageable.

14. wheresmysheep

i have charcoal, colour pencils, and arcylic paints.
    I was thinking of doing another pepper still life but paint it this time, thats another one down. was thinking of drawing my shoe too but its black, and do i really need another pencil piece.
    other than them 2 i'm stumped havent a notion on what to draw.

15. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

A colour pepper sounds great because that will show how you can do different pieces with different medias, but on the same subject.

Even though your shoe is back, could you use paints for it? Or maybe do something a bit more abstract and do it in colour?

16. wheresmysheep

see they dont want abstract they want observational studies to show you can actually draw. what else can i do

17. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Could you do that thing where they used say yellow for light, green for middle and blue for dark, like make the colours different? My art knowledge is shit, in case you hadn't gathered :p

It doesn't stop you painting it though, or finding a different, brightly coloured shoe.

What about scenery? Do you like drawing scenery? Could you take a photo you have taken and turn it into an art work? Or look out your window and paint/draw that?

Do you have a lucky charm? Or any sort of ornaments that you love/could see potential in?

18. wheresmysheep

well ive just done wrong again. i left the house at the wrong time and she shouted at me.
    wtf is the point

19. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

The point is that she ruining her own life by being this way, don't let her ruin yours too. You CAN do this, and you CAN achieve the things you want to achieve.

20. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Jus seen you online and wondered if you had come up with any other ideas for a subject yet? If not, have you decided what to do with the peppers and shoe ideas?