Positive experiences with medication

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Mikeintx, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I have an appointment next week to possibly go on an anti depressant and was hoping to hear from some people that have had good experiences with them how they have helped. Thank you.
  2. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

I am currently taking 300 mg daily of Wellbutrin XL/Bupropion. I've been on it since September of last year. I haven't experienced any side-effects. I'm doing much better. To give you an idea, last August my score on the Burns Depression Checklist was about an 85 (extreme depression), it started coming down in September/October, and for the past several months it has been mostly in the single digits or low teens.

I don't know how much of it is the medication and how much is other things (therapy/support/self-help/exercise), but it hasn't hurt for sure. I was also on Wellbutrin several years ago and was doing better, went off and got worse, and took several years to seek treatment again. The effects are unnoticeable to me in the short term - if I didn't take it for a few days I wouldn't feel any different, I don't feel like I'm a different person if that makes sense. But in the long term it seems to help my mood.

I've tried some other medications too. I can't remember what they were but they did not work for me. I think there is something to be said for not giving up if the first attempts to medicate aren't successful.
  3. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

I'm on Lamitcal, risperidone, and citrolopram. I have had very good experiences on this combo. It sometimes can just take a few (or many) tries before you find a good one or a good combo.
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If facing depression (specifically, if not facing misdiagnosed bipolar) antidepressants are life... often literally.

I finally found the good sense to go back on antidepressants.
  5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, this helps.
  6. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Every morning, I take 60mg of paroxetine (knows as paxol too).

At night, I take 50 to 100mg of quetiapine + 1mg of clonazepam.

The 1st one helps me with my fears, my mood, my COD and my therapist said I am not bipolar neither scyzophrene, but severly traumatized from my childhood.

The 2nd ones make me sleep.
  7. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I take 40mg of celexa, 75mg of effexor in the morning and 600mg of seroquel at night and its been working fine for me...I feel much better than before I had meds...
  8. Pécheur

Pécheur Account Closed

The second med I tried was Citalopram. I found that worked really well, especially in the summer. As it is only an SSRI it didn't help much with my sleep so had to change to Amytriptaline(not advised - but..)

Yeah, different meds work for different people. I hope you can find the right one for you!

9. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

I'm currently on Cymbalta, and quite honestly, even though I resisted going back on antidepressants for a long time, now that I've been forced back onto them, I realize just how much I currently need them. They literally probably saved my life. Meds can be really helpful when needed, and need not necessarily be permanent. I think it's really important to also be in therapy so that you can create long-lasting change in your life. A good diet, exercise, adequate sleep, and all that jazz is also crucial. Best of luck to you. I hope you find an antidepressant that works well for you.