"Positive" mood swing- Possible?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Rosenrot, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Now first off I have a great deal of mood swings. I'm happy, and 30 seconds later I'm in tears. But I was coming home from a doctor appointment the other day and I just felt so weird. I was actually in a good mood, for no apparent reason, and I cleaned the house. Now, let me say, I hate cleaning a great deal, in fact I haven't vaccuumed any part of the house for at least 3 years.

And halfway into it, I realized what I was doing, stopped, and went back to normal.

Is it possible to have a "positive" mood swing? All my mood swings always go to the negative.

And no, I haven't been diagnosed with manic depression.

2. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get that too sometimes...happened to me the other day in fact, I was just going for a walk and I was in a good mood...and there are also times when I find pleasure in doing things that I would normally HATE lol :tongue: ...but no, never lasts for long...I'm usually feeling like crap again by the end of the day. It's pretty rare I ever have a positive mood swing too.

3. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Thanks for your input.

It's strange, I normally hate cleaning the house and doing chores, but I actually wanted to.

4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hey Rose,

Of course it's possible and "normal" to feel perfectly content. But rather than ask from that perspective, maybe try shifting your thinking into "well, why NOT."

Guys... You know when's the time I *do* feel sustained happiness and contentment? It's when I'm at work. Got me a little part-time job, as soon as I punch in, something really weird happens. I have a high-value work ethic and love doing what I do. So 'soon as I'm on the company's time, my activities are absolutely no longer about ME, ME, ME.

My circumstance is unique, for not everyone has that kind of "luxury." But truly--it's when I'm serving others and actually "mattering" that I feel:

Important
    Valued
    Appreciated

I can't find happiness when I look for it. But rather happiness (I prefer the term "contentment") comes to me as a natural by-product of other activities.

And similar to Sean's post, there's nothing like a brisk walk to really shake things up for me as well.

ToHelp

5. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

Mood swings are perfectly normal in everyone. Sometimes i think people can overanalyse things (me included) - wondering if this or that is 'normal'. Most people think something they do is strange and then talk to people they realise actually everyone feels the same way they just don't talk about it - maybe because they feel wierd themselves! The main things to ask is - is it affecting your day to day life? If its not then why worry about it? Try not to overthink.
    However having said that mood swings are part and parcel of the recovery process too so prehaps if you are on medication you are on the right path.
    At the end of the day just enjoy the 'up' swings, especially it makes the laundry less of a chore! :wink:

6. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Here is the same, you are not alone:hug:

Few hours ago in school i laught with friends and singed a song, 1 hour ago i was standing on the bridge and thinking why i shouldnt jump (it was not attempt, just fantasy)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2008
  7. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

when i was younger i got diagnosed with cyclothymia, a rapid cycling mood disorder. Whilst the problems get worse, my doctor here wont accept it as an issue, and rather classes me as a classic depressive. However, i think it is to at least some degree common to get these mood swings. Personally, i just try and enjoy the highs, but i hate the fear that the highs make the lows, lower.

8. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Positive mood swing is very possible, especially if you are bipolar.
    Then comes the negative mood swing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.