Positive or Negative? Archive for members who passed?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by jameslyons, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Most people on this site can think of at least one member who ended their lives. Do you think it would be positive or negative to put up a memorial sub-archive? Just where a few posts are saved by members who aren't here anymore.

It's depressing and triggering, but I hate the idea of the last writings being deleted in time.

Other thoughts?

2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

no i think its a good idea. i think the hole issue with talking about people when they're gone is silly. they're gone doesnt mean you cant still love them or tehy dont ;love you, you can still think about them and your allowed to voice those thoughts.

i think it would be a good sub forum.

3. Robin

Robin Guest

Trouble is then, sad as it may seem, some people will view it as a competition to get in that forum as many times as possible :(

4. tendenCs_89

tendenCs_89 Well-Known Member

its true, I could really see that happening
    the thing i hate is not knowing whether my SF friend is dead, she said she was going to kill herself and I havent heard from her, but a part of me thinks shes still out there :unsure:

5. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

I agree.

This site allready has the occasional instances of people trying to fake their own death. If a memorial forum was created, this problem would increase tenfold! Would be a magnet for all the attention seekers out there.

Its a nice idea in theory, but I don't think it could work.

6. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

ahhhh... didnt think like taht, sorry..
    very good point, i think we have enough attention seekers as it is..

7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

hmm might be a bit morbid and increase suicide ideation....I don't like the idea of suicide as this romantic notion with people leaving beautiful written poetic final words...it just wouldn't fit in with the pro life ethos of the forum.
    And if someone dies we can still open up a new thread and talk about them and honour their memory that way.

8. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

That's a bit messed up . But good point.

9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Personally I think it would be a good idea.

10. cinZamurai

cinZamurai Well-Known Member

I think its a bad idea.

This site is for the living and I just feel like something like this could trigger members and put a romatic shimmer over suicide like Ripper talkt about.

It is really a nice gesture and thought and all but I just see how it could backfire and create copycats when members will see all the nice things ppl say about members that killed themself. Of course we can say our good byes and give our condolescence, for ourselfs to express what we feel for the persons we miss, but we also have to move on.

When it happens and we find out we usally have a thread and we speech our minds about it. If we have them all at one place it will feel like a grave yard.

11. White Dove

White Dove Well-Known Member

well i cant say it would be good nor bad.

perhaps maybe have it where only an admin could post that they had passed and perhaps just their nickname and date of death, then close it?

of course if you did do that, it would stop people from wondering where they went but on the other hand it would hurt those who actually knew them and had talked to them.

so the question is.

is it best for if one does kill themselves to disappear and leave their friends wondering where they went to or if they are still alive,?

or

is it better to alert them they are gone and wont be back?

which would hurt the most?

which would you want to do? knowing they are gone and wont return or not knowing what happened?

12. daniel2

daniel2 Banned Member

I think we should consider a way to honour the memories of those members who have passed. I'm not sure it would promote suicide ideation as it is already acceptable in society to have a memorial in the newspapers etc. If handled properly by the admins a memorial section of the site could be created. It would require some form of authentication I suppose.

13. White Dove

White Dove Well-Known Member

What about putting in a page when one member passes away light a candle?

would not have to give a name that way, just one of the staff light a candle, like a virtual candle or something, and putting in their name would be up to admin to decide.

this way anytime a candle has been lit we would know we lost someone and could remember them that way, sort of keep their memory alive by a ever burning candle? and those candles that did not have any names we could just remember whoever they were in prayers ( if you say prayers etc )

just a thought from a tiny white dove with a broken wing!

14. achtland

achtland Member

Call me a newbie and forgive me if I say anything that you would expect of a newbie who doesn't understand what they're talking about but I can't see how it would work for the same reason that has already been mentioned - how do you know if someone has gone over the edge or is (hopefully) recovered enough to not need the help of the forum any more?

And sorry (again) to go slightly off topic but how do you work out who is being an attention seeker?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.