Positive Thinking: does it help?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Things, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Things

Things Well-Known Member

2. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

yeah i dont mean to be a totaldowner but its false thinking imo.

i pretend to think postive ("you take risks etc") but i no in reality my existance sucks.
  3. Kemra

Kemra Well-Known Member

My psychologist is big on positive thinking, she tells me stuff like I'm a hard-worker, a caring, loving person and so on.. and I leave her office feeling like I want to cry and believing more than ever the exact opposite of everything she says. I want so bad to take her advice and 'challenge' the negative voice in my head but everytime I try it just comes back stronger than ever.

I clicked on a link in the article and got this: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1156613,00.html

Its about accepting the negativety instead of challenging it.. made a lot of sense, think I'll show it to my psychologist and see what she thinks.

TY Things, was some interesting reading and possibly helpful.
  4. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

Most of us who've been told that just thinking positive fixes things probably already knew this to some extend.

But, hey, good to read an article about it, even if it's from Time. One step closer for actual solutions. :)

Kemra, that article seems like the begining of Bene Gesserit training, haha. (Don't bother asking if you don't get the reference)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  5. Kemra

Kemra Well-Known Member

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
  6. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

And if only that worked for us normal people. :-/
  7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

It's medically proven that a person will generally survive longer or recover faster than others if they have a good amount of willpower and/or positive outlook.
  8. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I think TRUE positive thinking helps.

But a lot of "positive thinking" seems to be us telling ourselves things that we do not actually come to believe, which is not much different from negative thinking really.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.