*poss trigger* The Link Between Self-Harm and Body Modification?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by xTheBlondex, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xTheBlondex

xTheBlondex Well-Known Member

I hope this is the right place to post this...

I've been feeling really low today, even thought I had a really nice night with a really nice boy :cupid2: . I actually considered taking a blade to my wrist for the first time in 4/5 years of being quite severely depressed just because I wanted to feel something, I wanted it to hurt and I wanted to abuse myself. The reason why I have never self harmed with a knife or sharp instrument is because I didn't want to be in the position where someone could see them/notice them and then try to 'help' me deal with my problems or even point and laugh.

My friend pointed out to me today that he believes I'm self-harming through my 'peircings and tattoos' and brought to my attention that I often say things like "Oh the next tattoo I'm going to get is on my foot because I hear that hurts". This actually struck a chord with me and I do believe that I am actually "self-harming by proxy".

When My dad died 4 years ago I got 3 peircings that are considered some of the most painful peircings (Scaffold, Tragus & nipple) within days (no not weeks or months) of each other.. and I remember the pain for that split second and the hours after that they ached for took away my thoughts and gave me a release a feeling of control.

I don't really know where I was going with this post or what I wanted to gain from it.. I just wanted to tell someone :mellow:
  2. Tane

Tane Active Member

I would agree that your piercings and tattoos are a form of self harming. How many tattoos do you have?
  3. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I'm the same way at times. A lot of my piercings came from when I was feeling down. Same for a couple of my tattoos.
  4. xTheBlondex

xTheBlondex Well-Known Member

I only have two tattoo's one is rather large thats the memorial to my dad but my second one I had a few days ago when I was feeling pretty crap I choose to have placed on my wrist because I'd read it was one of the most painful peircings.

As for peircings I've got A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!

They were all done during very low points.. It's funny it just popped into my head yesterday that maybe it's a form of self harming x
  5. Stray

Stray Account Closed

I have 4 tats, I've had many piercings and a brand. I'm always buzzing afterwards! It's self harm in an artistic way.
  6. kitsune

kitsune Member

This is a pretty interesting idea.
    I don't think about my tattoos or piercings as self harm. Maybe because they're carefully planned. When I self harm it tends to be a response to an event/person that's upset me, so it's something I feel like I have no control over.
  7. RightOverThisMess

RightOverThisMess Active Member

I'll be the first to admit that I've gotten some of my piercings and tattoos during very low times in my life. All of them were thought through, but I decided to get some of them INSTEAD of self-harming. I figured, "Why not just pay someone to hurt me? I'll get a pretty piercing or tattoo out of it."
  8. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I would completely agree also. I have a friend who is extremely pierced and has a lot of tattoos, she started off by self harming and then moved onto body mods.
    I was the same but opposite. Back when I was more of a rock chick I had a lot of painful piercings (scaffold and tragus included), but I took them all out when things started to improve. Unfortunately once things got bad again I started to cut.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.