possible Arthritis?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by the masked depressant, May 24, 2011.

1. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

i'm not sure what this is- i've been noticing it lately.

at first, i thought it was just extra physical pain bought on by my emotions, but soon realised it was something more...

i'm getting these really sharp pains in my back/ both legs, and i'm not sure what it is!. it's got to the stage where just moving the joints even a little causes me great agony

i was thinking that it could be possible Arthritis, but i'm not really sure how to detect the signs

can anyone help me on this?

thanks

2. tweetypie

tweetypie Antiquities Friend

hey :) it could be siatica (not sure of spelling) most likely some kind of arthritis by the sounds of it. I do hope not but it wouldnt hurt to mention it at ur next appointment xx

3. the masked depressant

what exactly is ciatica?

is there any obvious cymptoms that maybe i would be able to spot?

thanks

4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Sciatica is a monstrous pain that runs from the spine all the way down the left leg (as thats where the sciatic nerve runs), believe me if u had it you would know about it :blink:
    I'd go ask doc about having a rheumatoid arthritis check, it's probably not that but a check up never hurts.
    Meanwhile, take cod liver oil tablets to keep your joints in tip top shape.

5. the masked depressant

thanks

:)

will follow your advice

6. eagle

eagle Well-Known Member

i would say Cod liver oil would help. My dad takes it cos he has creaky and stiff joints

7. the masked depressant

thanks eagle

seems to be a good move

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Use the following supplements: cod liver oil, 2000 mg per day; chondroitin/glucosamine/MSM combination according to the directions on the bottle (I'll update with what I have when I get home); 1000 mg of calcium with added vitamin D.

I don't know if the calcium will help, but it's cheap and definitely won't hurt. I think the benefit from cod liver oil is from the vitamin D so cutting that out won't be a problem if taking the calcium/vitamin D (but I suggest you take 2000 mg of fish oil per day anyhow for mental and physical health benefits). Chondroitin/glucosamine/MSN has been tentatively demonstrated to not only relieve joint pain, but REVERSE the damage from arthritis (more studies needed, but it's looking positive.)

I've had arthritis since 18 so I take preventing/reversing damage VERY seriously, I think painkillers are the worst solution you can find (though if you're taking care of your joints you can take them safely.)

9. starryeyed

starryeyed Well-Known Member

Why are painkillers bad? I can barely move without them.

10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If you need them, use them. Start the supplements I recommended, however. You'll see improvement that lasts. You can preserve your joints with supplements, while painkillers allow you to damage yourself further.

11. starryeyed

Would athritis caused by sarcoidosis be different?
    No.ones treated me.i.might buy those supplements.
    Sorry to distract from original post.just in lot pain

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
  13. starryeyed

Thanks but I have bowel disease.Im not able to take anti- inflammatories.
    Yep Im a disaster

14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Not Tylenol? It's not linked to stomach problems but fights inflammation.

15. starryeyed

Dont have that here.im in ireland.

16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Paracetamol is the same thing, I couldn't figure out how to spell it yesterday

17. starryeyed

Oh didnt realise that.thanks.that has no effect on the pain.its severe enough.

18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It cuts down on inflammation, so it might be worth using in conjunction with a lower dose of the other painkiller (what do you take, by the way?)

19. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Funny that, my doc just gave me a prescription for a 100 paracetamol.

20. starryeyed

Solpadol.mix paracetamol and coedeine.so I cant take more parcetamol.plus I dont think paracetamol has anti inflammatory properties because I couldnt take it then
    The docs could not have prescribed it forme.id have got very ill