Possible diagnosed and Zoloft

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Silverstandard, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On Friday I was admitted to the hospital and several doctors had told me that they believe I was depressed, I'm still not convinced I have depression. They also told me they want to put me on Zoloft or some other medication. I'm not too keen on taking medications. Does anyone have experiences and what it's like to be an anti-depressants? To add, I'm 18 and I heard that antidepressants can increase suicidal thoughts amongst people in my age group.
  2. Chalmers

Chalmers Well-Known Member

I haven't really been on antidepressants but my anti-anxiety makes a big difference. I might not be here today without it. I see a lot of people in my line of work that take meds. Those that do, are much better off. It took me a while to get past the stigma, but once I did I was much better for it. The first one may not work, but you need to give it a chance.
  3. acecoffee

acecoffee Active Member

i was diagnosis with clinical depresion and social anxiety since 09 and i couldnt believe it in the first place as well . i was then admitted into a Juvenile wards in springfield university hospital . i m now out as out-patient in farnham rd hospital ,like you , i m 18 as well ,i m on and off medication for a bit more then a year now . i was back on zoloft a couple of month ,it is a sedative medication , normally starting dose as 2.5mg then move on up to 10mg . it help me to sleep a lot better and help with my psychosis .but it put on heavy weight gain , 15kg in the last 3 month . some medication can also cause servere side effect such as suicidal thought but it depends on the own person . i suffer servere suicidal thought while i was on sertraline but now i m back on prozac ,tell your doctor immediately if so ,but i m sure they will take good look of you since you are in the hospital . i still sometime suffer from suicidial thought but it prob just me not the medication.hope all go well for you . anti-depressent is not as amazing as normal people thought as the magical pills. thearpy should also be apply for the best effect out of it. you need to give it time and slowly find the best med for you and the best dosage to balance the side effect and its positive effect on you .x
  4. the_unknown

the_unknown Banned Member

I was on zoloft once... made me sleepy but I guess it works or am i just thinking about it IDK... I stopped now without my doc permission (been 2 years since I last went to see her)... I feel worse than before its like the zoloft just stops it not really treats it...
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Why were you admitted to the hospital? What do you believe you have if not depression?

Antidepressants cause increased risk of suicide in the first few weeks, but then it decreases. They can really help your quality of life if you're depressed.

the_unknown, there are no cures, any treatment requires maintenance for as long as you have the depression. For some it passes and then they can go off the Zoloft with no effects, but for a lot of people on this board it's permanent. The best way to do it is to take the drugs and then seek therapy, therapy will give you coping mechanisms that you can use to manage the depression after you go off the drugs.
  6. I was admitted to the hospital because I told my counselor about my suicidal thoughts. I went to an inpatient program two days after that where I spent two weeks. I've been on 125 mg for 3-4 weeks now and it should kick it right about now. I'm worried because I'm afraid its not going to work and neither will any other antidepressant and it'll be a lost cause.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I believe that the only case where all antidepressants stubbornly do not work is when bipolar is the correct diagnosis.

Something will work for you.

Though I'd suggest asking your doctor if you've tried it for long enough yet.
  8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Getting the right med regimine takes time.. The meds work differently on different people..It's all body chemistry.. I have been on so many different meds that I can't remeber all of them.. I'm currently on six different meds for different problems.. For the most part they are helping.. I need to get back into therapy so I can work on other issues..
  9. Chalmers

Chalmers Well-Known Member

Started zoloft but it's upsetting my stomach. Doctor told me to gut it out yesterday. Now he tells me to stop. I need something for the depression because the lorazepam only works on the anxiety. So frustrated.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.