Possible pregnancy? (Sorry might be tmi)

Dinolaur

Human by day, Dino by night
Staff Alumni
Hi all.
I don’t know where else to ask for advice. I’ve tried mumsnet and Facebook groups and no one has really come to me with advice. They’ve either bypassed it or just don’t know what to say

I’ll start at the beginning
I’m now day 11 with a missed period (sorry tmi)
I’ve done 3 pregnancy tests and all have come back negative

the only piece of advice I got from someone was to maybe talk to someone at the sexual health clinic. I did and she wasn’t much help other than to test again in a week and if another negative book an appointment with your doctor. She said it may just be too early to test even though I’ve missed my period... it’s so confusing! How can I not be pregnant and miss my period? I mean I know there can be other reasons but it’s just so weird I’ve never actually completely missed it unless I’ve been pregnant. The latest I’ve been is 6 days late and then it’s come along. I just don’t get it

I’m not scared of being pregnant but I am scared of the way I may have to birth. Im scared if I’m not pregnant because of what it might be instead.

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I don't think mentioning your missed period is tmi, you don't have to be ashamed of talking about it, it's quite important in a person's life and there'd be less issues related to it if people talked about it more openly... *console

I understand why you're scared, I'm sorry.
Things that come to my mind are possible changes in medications? significant weight loss? changes in diet? stress? Plenty other things may have caused it, and any of these could simply make it late this one time, or mean something else.
But they're just ideas and won't help you much, especially if you're actually pregnant. I think if it continues you're gonna need to see a doctor anyway, Lauren, it's the only way. *brohug

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hey Lauren! Never worry about TMI with these sorts of things. It's kinda unavoidable but it's also not too much info for those of us that live with a menstrual cycle.
I’m now day 11 with a missed period (sorry tmi)
I take it that your are extremely regular. Is this due to some sort of specific contraception? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out how your cycle is so accurate every month.
She said it may just be too early to test even though I’ve missed my period... it’s so confusing!
I'm sure it is very confusing especially with something so important and life changing! I'm fairly certain that it's not too early to detect in a blood test. Would your doctor be willing to do a blood test for you ?
Im scared if I’m not pregnant because of what it might be instead.
Do you want to say what this is? You don't have to of course but there's plenty of reasons why your cycle is out of whack.

*hug

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Hi @Dinolaur

My periods were so regular that I could time them almost to the hour. I'm going back 25 years now but when I was pregnant with my first I didn't get a positive test until I was around two weeks late. I'd probably done about 10 tests by that point and probably another 10 afterwards just to make sure. I think I used several of every brand on the market. I think the tests have become more sensitive since then but so much depends on the hormones of the individual. Have you tried using a different brand of test? Also make sure you use your first pee of the morning and mid stream. I actually find it easier to pee into a pot and then dip the test in.

As had been said previously though, there are all sorts of other reasons for a missed period and the vast majority are nothing too serious. It doesn't take much to disrupt our hormones - medication, stress, diet and often "just because".

But if you're worried then do speak to your GP *hug

Dinolaur

Staff Alumni
I don't think mentioning your missed period is tmi, you don't have to be ashamed of talking about it, it's quite important in a person's life and there'd be less issues related to it if people talked about it more openly... *console

I understand why you're scared, I'm sorry.
Things that come to my mind are possible changes in medications? significant weight loss? changes in diet? stress? Plenty other things may have caused it, and any of these could simply make it late this one time, or mean something else.
But they're just ideas and won't help you much, especially if you're actually pregnant. I think if it continues you're gonna need to see a doctor anyway, Lauren, it's the only way. *brohug
Thanks for commenting auri and making me feel less ashamed, but more of it was to do with the males of the sf family so they know that there may be a tad too much info for their liking.

I think I’m going to give it 3 more days when I’m 2 weeks late and if nothing comes from that I’ll go to the doctors. It’s very stressful not knowing.

lm on no new meds before missing my period. I got naproxen Thursday last week as I’ve had a seized up neck but that was after my period had stopped.

Dinolaur

Staff Alumni
Hey Lauren! Never worry about TMI with these sorts of things. It's kinda unavoidable but it's also not too much info for those of us that live with a menstrual cycle.

I take it that your are extremely regular. Is this due to some sort of specific contraception? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out how your cycle is so accurate every month.

I'm sure it is very confusing especially with something so important and life changing! I'm fairly certain that it's not too early to detect in a blood test. Would your doctor be willing to do a blood test for you ?

Do you want to say what this is? You don't have to of course but there's plenty of reasons why your cycle is out of whack.

*hug
Thankyou for making me feel more at ease to talk about this Kira :)

I am definitely not regular, never have been but I’ve never completely missed a period before other than the 3x I’ve been pregnant. I’m not on the contraceptive pill anymore haven’t been for about a year now as I thought it was maybe hindering my weight loss (turns out it’s not) I’m usually 29-33 day cycles according to the app Ovia but the lady I spoke to at the sexual health clinic said I could of just ovulated late meaning that although I’ve missed my period it could just be too early to tell on a home pregnancy test. It’s completely bizarre

I am scared that it’s cancer or something dramatic like that, but i can be a hypochondriac when it comes to health, so ultimately I’m hoping it’s pregnancy and not anything serious

Dinolaur

Staff Alumni
Hi @Dinolaur

My periods were so regular that I could time them almost to the hour. I'm going back 25 years now but when I was pregnant with my first I didn't get a positive test until I was around two weeks late. I'd probably done about 10 tests by that point and probably another 10 afterwards just to make sure. I think I used several of every brand on the market. I think the tests have become more sensitive since then but so much depends on the hormones of the individual. Have you tried using a different brand of test? Also make sure you use your first pee of the morning and mid stream. I actually find it easier to pee into a pot and then dip the test in.

As had been said previously though, there are all sorts of other reasons for a missed period and the vast majority are nothing too serious. It doesn't take much to disrupt our hormones - medication, stress, diet and often "just because".

But if you're worried then do speak to your GP *hug
Wow. Wish mine were that regular, but they’ve never been, my cycles are usually between 29-33 days however I’m currently cycle day 42. Hrs fully with the app Ovia I log everything, when we DTD, periods, it tells me when I’m roughly ovulating etc but going by my last period I’d be 5 weeks and that should show up on a test by now, however as the lady said at the clinic I could of ovulated later causing it to not show up on a test yet even though I’ve missed my period completely,

maybe I’ll buy a different brand and see. The very last time we DTD was 5 days ago, however I was supposed to be on my period then, so if we have conceived the time before that was 22/08 so who knows. I’ll maybe try a different test and see what happens... I don’t know whether to buy different ones now or wait it out for 3 more days when I’ll be 2 weeks over due my period

im not on any new meds well not before my missed period anyway, I got naproxen for my seized up neck and only took 3 of those over 4 days anyway

so 3 more days, then I’ll test, using different brands then if nothing I’ll go doctors coz this is ridiculous

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Thanks for commenting auri and making me feel less ashamed, but more of it was to do with the males of the sf family so they know that there may be a tad too much info for their liking.
Hmm, I'm not very sorry for the people who would feel offended or disgusted or whatever other feeling by another person sharing and seeking advice/support regarding their physical health, no matter what it is. A person should never be made feel ashamed for whatever happens to their bodies.
But that's just me. You're good. *hug

Last edited:

Dinolaur

Staff Alumni
If you've been under a lot of stress recently they might stop @Dinolaur. Weight going up or down might affect them too. Years ago I put on a lot of weight in a short time due to stress and the periods completely stopped for months. If you're irregular maybe it's just that. Hope everything turns out OK *hug
I have put on weight, like half a stone but can’t seem to shift any weight at all, it’s so frustrating, but I don’t think half a stone change would stop my periods. I dunno. It’s confusing

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Unfortunately it is difficult to tell for sure, I doubt the naproxen is having an effect but some meds can cause changes to your cycle. As @FlamingoWrangler said, do you have any other signs of pregnancy? It would be perhaps another sign. I was not so fortunate as to have a regular cycle so can go anything up to 100 days between them! So it was never a sign for me but if you are usually regular there could be a simple explanation. Let us know when you find out for sure and we’re here for you what ever the outcome. Xx

Dinolaur

Staff Alumni
@Dinolaur
hi! Do you have any other symptoms of pregnancy? Do you have a walk-in type clinic that can do a more sensitive urine test? Maybe just call your dr to request a blood test to determine pregnacy?
i see you just bought another home test, so perhaps after you try it. Good luck! 🍀
Hey thanks @FlamingoWrangler. I’m going to give it 3 more days, if I can stomach the wait, I’ve been peeing a bit more and my appetite has been up. Other than that I’d say no, no other signs. But I didn’t have any signs with my other two either. With violet (my youngest) the only sign I had was my c section scar hurting but by the time I’d taken the test I was 5 weeks gone so I guess that’s why it was hurting lol and I also had a bigger appetite

Last edited:

Dinolaur

Staff Alumni
Unfortunately it is difficult to tell for sure, I doubt the naproxen is having an effect but some meds can cause changes to your cycle. As @FlamingoWrangler said, do you have any other signs of pregnancy? It would be perhaps another sign. I was not so fortunate as to have a regular cycle so can go anything up to 100 days between them! So it was never a sign for me but if you are usually regular there could be a simple explanation. Let us know when you find out for sure and we’re here for you what ever the outcome. Xx
Hey @Holding my breath Thankyou for that! :) I’ve never had perfect on time cycles but never been this long. Today is day 42! Mine are usually between 29-33 days long, As I just said to flamingo I’ve never really had any signs or symptoms before finding out I was pregnant. The only ones with violet was my c section scar hurting which I though was due to over doing it at work lifting boxes and a bigger appetite. I’ll definitely let you all know anyway

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hey, Dinolaur. I've nothing to add that hasn't already been said but wanted you to know its not TMI. 50 percent of the population have them, maybe you were just shy that guys would see this, in that instance maybe put a *female only* trigger but maybe that would attract them then :D but absolutely not too much information or anything to be embarrassed about.

I wish you the best in whatever happens next, we're all here for you *hug

Dinolaur

Staff Alumni
Hey, Dinolaur. I've nothing to add that hasn't already been said but wanted you to know its not TMI. 50 percent of the population have them, maybe you were just shy that guys would see this, in that instance maybe put a *female only* trigger but maybe that would attract them then :D but absolutely not too much information or anything to be embarrassed about.

I wish you the best in whatever happens next, we're all here for you *hug
Thankyou for commenting @Champagne :) I really appreciate that!
I’m kinda hoping I am pregnant even though I’m petrified of the birth as I know it’s be an automatic c section :(

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Thankyou for commenting @Champagne :) I really appreciate that!
I’m kinda hoping I am pregnant even though I’m petrified of the birth as I know it’s be an automatic c section :(
I’ve had 3 c sections and think they are easier than natural delivery. Particularly if it is a planned procedure. Natural delivery sounds horrific, much rather let them do all the hard work. 😂 Fingers crossed for you. Xx

Dinolaur

Staff Alumni
I’ve had 3 c sections and think they are easier than natural delivery. Particularly if it is a planned procedure. Natural delivery sounds horrific, much rather let them do all the hard work. 😂 Fingers crossed for you. Xx
Pahaha I’ve not experienced a normal delivery so I cannot comment, however my cousin had a baby naturally a few months ago and it was n awful experience for her even though her first child was mega easy.

anyway I’m dreading another c section is coz my 1st emcs was absolutely horrific I mean the procedure went okay but the aftermath of recovery was absolutely horrific. But violet emcs was a horrible procedure and had to be put out but I was up she moving around almost immediately and was healed in 4 weeks! That’s all I’m scared of... the recovery and the c section and I never want an epidural or spinal ever again! I’ve now got fibromyalgia due to it

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$170.00
Goal
$255.00