Post if you've beaten Depression

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Mikeintx, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I wanted to start a positive thread here for anyone that has overcome depression or any other type of mental disease. Please post your story if you've successfully kicked your depression:)

Since starting therapy and really working on the root causes of my depression and suicidal thoughts I feel that I have sucessfully kicked my depression after years of dealing with it(since as long as I can remember at least). I am still working through some smaller issues but I feel a million times better! After dealing with this for so long it is kind of strange to no longer have it digging at me but it is better than I imagined. I encourage anyone out there dealing with bad depression to try and seek help. Actively work on trying to get healthier. The first few steps are always the hardest but I wouldnt trade the world for the way I feel right now and it is more than worth it.
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

That is wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing.
    I am in therapy now getting at the root of things. I know somewhat what I have to do, it's just a matter of not being scared to do it, realizing I am worthy.

I have also chosen to look at my depression not as a battle I can win. I want to end this seeming battle with myself, not win it. My therapist said something really interesting to me that made me look at my depression/anxiety in a whole new way. I mentioned how my depression had been there for me when no one else had. She asked me if I could appreciate that? Appreciate my depression for being there for me? I loved a new way to look at it. It had held me where I found nothing else. Now it's time to let go, which is hard. But I'm getting there. I'm glad that you have. One day I'll be where you are :)
  3. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Wow, both of you are so inspiring!

I'm nowhere nears beating depression, but today I made the first step and called the mental health services at my school. I've been trying to call them for the past several months and today I finally got up the nerve to do it. I know its small, but I'm officially starting to fight back. :biggrin:
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Saw that in your other post.
    Congratulations again Alison! Huge step :heart:
  5. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

I feel I beat it everyday but the fight goes on.:smile:
  6. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

I've been on this forum for almost 2 years now. When I joined, each day was a battle - me against an army of negative emotions that seemed invincable!

Since then, I've turned things around. Not by the use of medication, not by the use of psychologists but by finding my strengths, working with what I have and accepting the things I can't change i.e. my past, those around me etc. I still have my bad days but they are becoming few and far between.

My personal experience and also the experience of those around me has inspired me to become a psychologist - I'm starting my study next year. As everyone here would know, some mental health services out there are not as helpful as they could be and I don't want anyone else to be turned away and overlooked the way that I was.

I used my music/songwritting to turn each and every negative experience into something positive (well as positive as broken hearts and suicide attempts can be haha!)

I could go on but I wont bore you! lol!

Take care everyone! :biggrin:

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

well done to everyone that has beaten it :)

As for me..well lets just say I'm coping for now :)
  8. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

I've pretty much beaten my depression.

It dominated my life everyday, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't make it to school, I kept having unstoppable mood swings at work.

I didn't ever dwell on it, though. I didn't do ridiculous things that I know will make it worse, though stereotyped to make it better (EX: Alcohol) I would listen to positive music, never depressing crap that'll make me feel worse. I continued to see my therapist and psychiatrist and take medication as prescribed, and get new ones until I finally found what worked for me. (Lexapro)

One thing important to remember about depression, it is 100% curable. But it doesn't just cure itself.
  9. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Very well said Resenrot :smile: