post traumatic stress disorder...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by roxy, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxy

roxy Member

Hey guys:)

i suffer from post traumatic stress disorder ever since my dog brutally attacked my younger brother, and i was the one to pull him off my brothers face. despite the fact of what my dog did, i still loved him with all my heart.
    he was my best friend, and i raised him since we rescued him when he was 6 months old.
    i feel brutal for everything and sometimes cant deal with the guilt or confusion, so i turn to cutting, or any form or self harm.
    at first i didnt think it was anything, a couple of burns and few bruises. Until one day i looked at my arms and noticed my scars.
    the first cut i made was a year and a bit ago, the day my dog attacked my brother.
    I know i have PTS, but i dont know how to ask my mom for help, and i know she will be horrified if she knew i cut, so should i keep it a secret, how should i come across the topic?

please help mee! :lost:

2. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I wouldn't bring up the cutting first thing to your mom, only because it will probably make her hysterical when what you really need is support. I'd try talking to her about the trauma and what happened and how you feel, instead. Maybe tell her you'd like to get some counceling because you have guilt. She's sure to listen to that, then when you get the counceling and are able to talk about it more, perhaps you'll find you don't need to cut any longer. And if worse comes to worse, you'd have a councelor who could help you confront your mom with the rest of the stuff - such as the cutting.

3. Hideki

Hideki Account Closed

I agree with Brighid and everything she just said. Start out small and jsut take the baby steps to start getting the help with your ptsd.

4. christian_1990

christian_1990 Well-Known Member

how is your brother?

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Can you talk to a close friend or a relative who maybe can help talk to your parents about getting councilling PTD is terrible i have it. Anxiety meds can help but talking to Therapist is better it really helps. Can you talk with teacher or councillor anyone I do think your parents should know as they will want to help you. take care If you can't talk it out write a note and give it to your mom explaining your pain sometimes getting a note first helps her to understand.

6. roxy

roxy Member

Thank you so much, to all of you who took the time to reply,
    i am building up the courage to talk to someone for help.
    i am soo lucky to have a best friend to help me through this, and i am soo thankful to have all you guys here for support.

and my brother is okay, he got 40 stiches to the face, but the scars are fading fast, if only mine were:(

thanks again,
    and i love you all!

roxy xo

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi i hope you were able to get help you needed just a councillor better a psychologist who deals with post traumatic issues as they have great skills to help you just want you to know i hope all is going well.

8. versin

versin Member

I went through post traumatic stress disorder before and never received treatment because I was so young and didn't even know I had it and realized it later. Talk to a doctor. Don't be afraid. I hope things are getting well for you now.

9. BlondRedHead

BlondRedHead Well-Known Member

I know how hard it can be trying to ask for help (I think many of us here know) and we're always afraid of being shrugged off. I think I am more afraid of that then my parents becoming hysterical. Just tell them straight up, bring your friend and let them know, "I have had some serious issues with the dog attack situation. Since it happened it's consuming me." If they can't take it or listen then go to a counsler, even at school. They usually have numbers or places to go to or call for help. Hope this helps ;)

10. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

When I needed help and was too young to get it myself I wrote my parents a letter. I did not mention my cutting that is for sure I just said I was tired of feeling sad and such but not much detail, well it worked and they said they knew something was wrong anyways.

I had PTSD and was treated so feel thankful that my therapist recognized what was going on and geared my treatment towards that but can't imagine where I would be without the treatment so think it is great that you are reaching out for help.

Good luck to you, Bambi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.