Post your favorite quote here

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
I have many favorite quotes but kicking it off with this one:

“You can be a drunk. You can be a survivor of abuse. You can be an ex-con. You can be a homeless person. You can lose all your money or your job or a husband or a wife, or the worst thing imaginable, a child. You can lose your marbles. You can be standing inside your own failure, a small sad stone in your throat, and still you are beautiful, your story is worth hearing, because you--you rare and phenomenal misfit--are the only one in the world who can tell the story the way that only you can.”
― Lidia Yuknavitch, The Misfit's Manifesto

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
I have many favorite quotes but kicking it off with this one:

“You can be a drunk. You can be a survivor of abuse. You can be an ex-con. You can be a homeless person. You can lose all your money or your job or a husband or a wife, or the worst thing imaginable, a child. You can lose your marbles. You can be standing inside your own failure, a small sad stone in your throat, and still you are beautiful, your story is worth hearing, because you--you rare and phenomenal misfit--are the only one in the world who can tell the story the way that only you can.”
“We misfits are the ones with the ability to enter grief. Death. Trauma. And emerge.”

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
“We misfits are the ones with the ability to enter grief. Death. Trauma. And emerge.”
“He’s always been attracted to broken things. He was the kind of boy who talked the bad girls through their problems, who defended them and didn’t take advantage. He was sensitive to his stuffed animals’ feelings, rotating their position on his bed so that a new plush animal would occupy pride of place at his pillowside every night. Soon I became first and foremost on that pillow; princess of the island of misfit toys.”
― Jalina Mhyana, Dreaming in Night Vision: A Story in Vignettes

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
“He’s always been attracted to broken things. He was the kind of boy who talked the bad girls through their problems, who defended them and didn’t take advantage. He was sensitive to his stuffed animals’ feelings, rotating their position on his bed so that a new plush animal would occupy pride of place at his pillowside every night. Soon I became first and foremost on that pillow; princess of the island of misfit toys.”
― Jalina Mhyana, Dreaming in Night Vision: A Story in Vignettes
“If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Two martial ones with me being a history buff.

Nuts! Anthony McAuliffe when asked to surrender at Bastogne.

Molon Labe(come and take them) the reply that Leonidas gave when the Persians comment to the Spartans was lay down your arms at Thermopylae.

MichaelKay

Andrei Tarkovsky's advice to young people has always resonated with me. (Answering a journalists question on what he would like to teach young people).

"I don’t know… I think I’d like to say only that they should learn to be alone and try to spend as much time as possible by themselves. I think one of the faults of young people today is that they try to come together around events that are noisy, almost aggressive at times. This desire to be together in order to not feel alone is an unfortunate symptom, in my opinion. Every person needs to learn from childhood how to spend time with oneself. That doesn’t mean he should be lonely, but that he shouldn’t grow bored with himself because people who grow bored in their own company seem to me in danger, from a self-esteem point of view. "

Last edited:

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
Not really deep at all but as a hardcore Frank Herbert fan I couldn't miss out on posting the Litany against Fear:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

Frank Herbert - Dune - The Litany Against Fear.
Huge fan of Frank Herbert. Aces x

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.”

Frank Zappa

MichaelKay

If anyone does get triggered just tell them 'I am the Kwisatz Haderach That is reason enough.” :)
"I am a Mentat. Reason is my doctrine"

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
My favorite movie quote of all time as plenty quotes to pick as a favorite but this one keeps sticking with me over time. This is a constant in my life that has a meaning to me.

I am Jaguar Paw, son of Flint Sky. My Father hunted this forest before me. My name is Jaguar Paw. I am a hunter. This is my forest. And my sons will hunt it with their sons after I am gone.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
"You got a head full of bad wiring.". Christian Slater to John Travolta in Broken Arrow. I have heard the same about me. LOL. Nope, my brain works fine, it is the emotions that ain't wired.

Dani24

Everybody's born with some different thing at the core of their existence. And that thing, whatever it is, becomes like a heat source that runs each person from the inside. I have one too, of course. Like everybody else. But sometimes it gets out of hand. It swells or shrinks inside me, and it shakes me up. What I'd really like to do is find a way to communicate that feeling to another person. But I can't seem to do it. They just don't get it. Of course, the problem could be that I'm not explaining it very well, but I think it's because they're not listening very well. They pretend to be listening, but they're not, really. So I get worked up sometimes, and I do some crazy things.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Everybody's born with some different thing at the core of their existence. And that thing, whatever it is, becomes like a heat source that runs each person from the inside. I have one too, of course. Like everybody else. But sometimes it gets out of hand. It swells or shrinks inside me, and it shakes me up. What I'd really like to do is find a way to communicate that feeling to another person. But I can't seem to do it. They just don't get it. Of course, the problem could be that I'm not explaining it very well, but I think it's because they're not listening very well. They pretend to be listening, but they're not, really. So I get worked up sometimes, and I do some crazy things.
I can understand that. I do not always express myself that well, plus I am so closed off to a point that I merely don't share whether because they would feel uncomfortable or would not understand and yes you are correct about the apathy with so many no matter what they claim.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00