Pot smoker looking for solace

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by malek, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malek

malek Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Well here i go, i’m an addict to pot … make that really really addicted, I love it. Problem is my wife and I have been trying to quit for the past 4 years with zero to no success. Whenever we are high we are totally in agreement but the second the craving starts we both cave and smoke again. Now for the first time in 4 years we have been sober for more than 48hrs. My car broke down and I changed cities were I know no one so although it’s hell on us it’s not like we have a choice.

I want to stop because my oldest son is rapidly approaching 4yo and will soon start to ask questions, I would rather he never see us smoke or smell it. I want him to know someday my story that I smoked for 15 years and that I was truly hooked hard, that it did slow my brains information handling capacity and that it wrecked havoc on my system, but I want to do that at a time that he is ready to receive the information.

Problem with me is I was always around pot/hashish smokers, all my uncles do drugs, some do coke and crystal but most just pot and hashish. I grew up thinking it was absolutely normal and had no drawbacks … boy Was I wrong.

Anyway so today I’m 48hrs in sobriety … problem is, I have money, I have this huge craving that simply wont go away and tonight I will have the means to go buy some. This weekend we are receiving some friend over that will most likely have some with them and will ask to smoke some and I doubt I will be able to pass.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place, I want to quit but at the same time I simply love to smoke weed and if I never had any kids I would have no reason to quit.

I don’t know why I’m saying all this but it does feel better now that it’s out.

2. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I hear you... this has been a very difficult struggle for myself.. I was near the 15 year mark too but now have nearly 3 months of sobriety.. I have been around it a couple times and been able to say no since, but it is not easy.. and if you do have a slip dont beat yourself up over it, this is a very difficult thing to do.. I hope it works out for you.
  3. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I thought it wasn't addictive?? :dry:
  4. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I wouldn't say it is not addictive... it doesn't seam to cause withdrawal symptoms on the scale of say heroin... but I can testify that it is very addictive..
  5. SirenDevil

SirenDevil Active Member

Scientifically, it isnt addictive. To people that use it for other reasons than just fun, usually feel addicted to it. Its more of a mental thing than an outright physical thing.

Anyway, good luck quitting. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  6. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

Scientifically more and more evidence is pointing towards potential addictive qualities in marijuana. Here is just one site
    http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html look specifically for the heading of Addictive Potential.
    This is not to say that everyone who smokes marijuana is addictive, but I know for fact that I was addicted, it was harder than hell to quit..
    If you still think that marijuana is not addictive I will gladly dig up more info for you so that you can see that scientifically it is proven to be addictive, just not in all cases.
  7. Allo..

Allo.. Well-Known Member

Hows it going?
  8. malek

malek Well-Known Member

Well i smoked again ... actually that same night.

Weed is addictive and i do have physical symptoms in withdrawl, mostly emotional but still i get the shakes and all.

anyway. still smoking but still trying to quit i keep telling my self as long as i dont stop trying to quit i'm bound to succedd one day.
  9. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I don't trust that nih.gov site - if it's from the US gov't I'll take it with a pound of salt...:dry:

I know that it can certainly 'seem' addictive, tho more people than not among my friends have no problem not having it. YOu want it, you get used to not having it, no problem for those I know. It's a very personal thing, depending on metabolism, brain chemicals, and an overall propensity for becoming addicted to substances. Like alcohol in that some can drink or not, others can't refuse it.

to each their own, I guess

10. Joey.S

Joey.S Member

people that say its not addictive dont smoke like i do
  11. anything that makes you feel good is addictive or a sin.... moderation is the key.... but getting baked everyday day isn't bad either....

12. meh__

meh__ Well-Known Member

maybe if you try smoking out of a pipe you'll smoke less weed? i duno thats what i did, instead of rolling a huge fattie just smoke a few bowls and save some green for later
  13. Sorcery

Sorcery Member

Weed's tougher that it gets credit for, and you have to treat it as a formidable adversary. Just remember when you are tempted to pack a bowl; it's not just "one smoke"-you've been saying that for 15 years.
  14. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I find it to be less of a problem than the other 'solutions', like wine, for example...and doesn't give me a headache in the morning either...
  15. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

all this talk of weed is giving me a craving for it, I was around the three year mark which isn't as long as most on here but it was a weekly thing, I was a weekend smoker.

after i lost my job due to lack of concentration I hit it hard every day for getting on a year. I was addicted to the escapism it gave me and the ultra sensitive hearing. it made me feel i was really smart.

Ive did it occasionally, like once every few months for a year but can now say Im clean. which is no small achievement because i went through hell readapting to normal stuff.

these days I can't imagine how i'd behave on the stuff, doesn't bear thinking about really because things have been so much clearer lately.

What triggered my need to stop more than anything was when I took mushrooms, gave me a trip I'll never forget, took me many times further mentally than THC ever did and for some reason I now view most drugs as boosters for the bored of mind.

Smoking as long as you have been the advice I believe i would get in the same situation would be to find a spiritual path or cause to live life.
  16. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, the way it makes you feel and the experiences you can have whilst high are things that many people want to repeat. But I don't know if that qualifies as addictive. I eat and I feel satisfied. When I am hungry, I want to eat again. I eat far more than I need to live. Am I addicted? Maybe. But I just say that I like to eat.

When I quit smoking pot, I did so because it's against the law here and I was tired of dealing with shady characters in order to buy it. I've never used any other kinds of drugs. Not even alcohol. Well, I've drank alcohol but not in massive quantities. I don't care for it.

I think anything can be bad for you. I wouldn't recommend smoking pot all day long. I never did. I had a rule. I had a small pipe. I filled it up, took one small hit at a time maybe once an hour until it was empty and then I was through for the day.

When I quit there weren't any withdrawals. I did miss it and still do. But if I stopped eating steak, I'd miss that too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.