Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Rob68, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob68

Rob68 Member

I just read a new report about how so many people aren't ready for retirement. I'm 45 and I am no where near having funds for my later years. This on top of my present depression and decades long battle with this thing called life.

I've never been happy, and as I get older I realize my future is likely very dark.

Suicide seems like the most logical thing for me.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

depression will make it seem like the future is bleak hun but you make the future what you want it to be ok. One does not have to have riches to be happy I know that one hugs
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

At 45 you have nearly half the typical working life - easily 20 -25 years. That is not a short time at all to be left for planning for your future. While it would be nice if we could all do the things the money managers (that are selling financial products to make a profit) tell us we should do and they sell us on what is needed to be happy in out future, there are millions that do not and still are perfectly happy. Thankfully being wealthy is not the only criteria for having a satisfying and happy life. It really has gotten to the point of that selling the image of what is needed in terms of wealth to be happy is pushed nearly as hard by the media and commercial interest as the body image and need to be young looking thin and beautiful is. Both result in people being convinced they do not meet the standard they should.

Look at what you want and need to be happy and take the 25 years or so you have to make some plans to figure out what you can do to try to get there. And in that process use your own criteria for what you need. While getting advice to consider things you might forget or not be aware of is good, do not let the media and the commercialization of financial products convince you that if you cannot save $500,000 then you will be miserable and that wealth is the only thing important to your happiness.
  4. Rob68

Rob68 Member

Thank you both for your replies.

And yes, NY, I hadn't considered that I am a victim of effective marketing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.