Powerless to help

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by WhyMeWhy, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

I don't know why I'm here. Sure I joined because there may be people who understand about being in a suicidal state of mind..... but I did not come here only lookin for help for myself-which seems rather selfish-I also came to try & help others, others who are lost in the same prdicament that plagues so many in this world. Yet the more reading I do, the more I feel that I should never have come to SF. Due to my fragile state of mind there seems to be very little help for me to give to anyone. I'm feeling increasingly bad about that. What should I do? What can I do? I have only 2 options:

A. Stop coming here....but it feels like I'm abandoning you all
    B. Stay & keep trying no matter how liitle good I can do here, which increasingly makes me feel depressed

And these thoughts will not leave me, it's like I've been cursed.
  2. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

You wouldn't be abandoning us.

You have to do what you have to do.

If you feel you need to leave, then do so. You can't help anyone else when you're so down yourself anyway.

If you've got MSN or something, perhaps keeping in touch with a few will make you feel less like you've "abandoned" everyone?

I dunno... just try not to feel that way, eh? We want you to be okay. You have to be your first priority, otherwise all other things fall by the wayside.

I hope you feel better someday. Hang in there,

3. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

I agree with The_Discarded.

If the forum is bringing you down, then leaving may alleviate some of your pain. However, don't underestimate your ability to help people; I've seen some of your posts, and you are a caring person. When I make threads in the Depression or Suicide Forum, people's responses always make me feel better.

The main thing is to put yourself first, and decide whether you're getting help here or whether being in this atmosphere is doing potential harm. As The_Discarded said, you can always keep in touch with a few people on MSN and such if you would feel as if you were abandoning them.

Take care. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.