Practical Tips And Useful Ideas

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Aquarius123, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

If you have any practical tips and useful ideas for sharing with others, this is the place to do so. To get the ball rolling, here is my first tip:

Natural Flu Protection – The Humble Onion

The time of year when the danger of catching the common cold or its most severe form, flu, comes round surprisingly quickly each year and with it the need for refreshing our memories about natural ways of protecting ourselves and our loved ones against all manner of airborne bacteria, including any flu viruses that may be at large. Let me begin with the story one of my friends told me some time ago of how when, as a child, he was in hospital and near dying. His Italian/African grandmother came to visit him and she told a family member to go buy her a large onion and a clean pair of white cotton socks. She sliced the onion open, then put a slice on the bottom of each of his feet and pulled the socks over this. In the morning when he awoke and the socks were removed, they found that the slices of onion had turned black and his fever was gone.

The following has been reported from the year 1919 when a flu virus is believed to have killed forty million people. One of the doctors, who visited people to see if he could help them, came upon a farm where, to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked how this was achieved, the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the main room of their house. There would probably not have been more than two rooms in any case. The doctor couldn’t believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. Clearly, through absorbing the bacteria, the onion had kept the family healthy.

Another story I heard from a hairdresser. She said that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick and that certainly convinced her that it works. And no, I am not sharing this information with you because I am in the onion business. So, how about buying some onions and placing them in bowls around your home? If you work at a desk, place one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere. Try it and see what happens. The friend who sent me this says they did it in their home and they never got the flu.

If this helps us and our loved ones not to become sick, what could be better? But even if you do get the flu, because of the healing influence of the onion it will probably be only in a mild form. What is there to lose, apart from a few pence or cents on onions?

One lady reports as follows: ‘I contracted pneumonia and needless to say I was very ill. I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put one end on a fork and then place the forked end into an empty jar, placing the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs. Sure enough it happened just like that. The onion was a mess, but I began to feel better.’

Another thing I read somewhere was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague in times gone by because of their powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

Following the advice, I placed onions strategically all over my home, and I have to say, they do look quite decorative. One stands in a small wooden bowl in my living room and creates the impression of a sculpture. And by the way, because the onions do not have to be peeled, no unpleasant smells linger.

After reading the above, one of my friends contacted me with this: ‘I have tried both onion and garlic on ear infections. At one time my ear drum had actually burst, and even though I had been to see the doctor twice, each time she refused to prescribe antibiotics. This was because there was no redness in my ear canal thanks to the onion and garlic I had placed over it. I think she only believed me when, on my third visit, a discharge was evident.

‘My Grandmother used to place an onion in a bowl of water in rooms that had been painted and decorated, to take away the smell of the fumes.’

From Dian Dincin Buchman’s excellent book ‘Herbal Medicine’ come the following two remedies: ‘Coughs: An old pioneer remedy consists of simmered honey and onion syrup. The onion may be juiced first and added to the honey, if this seems desirable. If available, add a pinch of thyme and ginseng powder, as both are very helpful in chest complaints.’

‘Coughs, Bronchitis, Asthma: Make an onion broth. Cut up a large red onion. If you haven’t got one, a white one will work, too. Add a pint of cold water, a pinch of salt and a pat of butter and simmer until the onion is soft. Place the broth in a hot bowl and eat it as hot as possible, without removing the onion pieces. Minerals from the onion and its mucilaginous properties help soothe the inflamed mucous membranes and induce perspiration. This helps to reduce the chest congestion and causes the release of toxins.’

2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I think people in the HEAL part of the forum would enjoy this.
  3. Aquarius123

Would you mind telling them about it, perhaps providing them with a link? Or could you please give me a link for the 'Heal' part of the Forum? I wouldn't know where to find it. Many thanks.

With love - Aquarius
  4. Aquarius123

5. Aquarius123

6. Aquarius123

The Wonderful Healing Qualities Of The Mistletoe

The name mistletoe was originally applied to Viscum album, the European mistletoe, of the family Santalaceae in the order Santalales, the only species native in Great Britain and much of Europe. European mistletoe is readily recognised by its smooth-edged oval evergreen leaves borne in pairs along the woody stem, and waxy white berries in dense clusters of two to six. It is a poisonous plant that causes acute gastrointestinal problems including stomach pain and diarrhoea along with low pulse. The genus Viscum is not native to North America, but Viscum album has been introduced to California.

Did you know that Iscador, the homeopathic preparation of mistletoe, is the most commonly prescribed oncological drug in Germany? Actually, according to Wikipedia some 60% of all oncological treatments in central Europe include some form of mistletoe. You probably didn’t know that. Any inconvenient truths are suppressed by the US medical mafia and their media allies. They cling here to the feeble obsession that the US way is the ‘only way’ and by inference, therefore the correct way. Of course this has more to do with protecting profits than any subsumed moral or scientific right. But it’s curious, isn’t it, that all humble and inexpensive treatments are ‘bad’, ‘unproven’ or even ‘dangerous’!

Iscador was originally introduced by German philosopher, educationalist and healer Rudolph Steiner (1861- 1925). Steiner went on to found a whole healing system called anthroposophic medicine—literally ‘human-loving’. Iscador is actually a lactobacillus-fermented extract of the European mistletoe plant, Viscum album and is available here in the USA, by prescription, as the drug Iscar. None of what is written here applies to the American mistletoe, Phoradendron serotinum (we just don’t know).
    Mistletoe’s Colourful History

Do you know why we kiss under the mistletoe at Christmas? Millennia ago, in the days of the Druids in Europe, Yule was a highly celebrated event (it survives as our Christmas, which has nothing to do with Jesus’ supposed birthday). The drink and partying went on for days. So did the wild promiscuous sex! Mistletoe was the chosen contraceptive. A decoction of this sacred plant taken by women gave them a few days in which they could make whoopee, without the inconvenience of becoming pregnant. Fast forward 3,000 years or more and today we settle for a coy little kiss under a sprig of mistletoe. My, how times have changed!
    Other Uses Of Mistletoe

Mistletoe has been known medicinally since the earliest times. The Druids were well aware of its fabulous healing properties and called it ‘All-Heal’. Mistletoe growing on oak trees was especially prized. A Bronze Age burial found in England contained a skeleton covered with oak branches and mistletoe. The two plants have been associated with one another and held sacred in Britain since prehistoric times. Mistletoe is very toxic and needs caution in use. It acts on the central nervous system: causing numbness, slowing of the heartbeat and is a specific against epilepsy: small doses stop spasms and convulsions. It is also prescribed as a diuretic, for high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries and chilblains. Definitely not recommended as a contraceptive, even if it does work!
    Anti-Cancer Properties

The tumour-fighting possibilities of mistletoe have been known for centuries. As I reported, the use of mistletoe is still widespread in Europe, where it does not need to prove itself. Many cancer patients use natural supplements in conjunction with cytotoxic chemotherapy, but little is known about their potential interaction.
    One survey showed that over 60% of all German cancer patients used mistletoe in some form—frequently in conjunction with standard cancer treatments such as radiation, chemotherapy, or surgery.

[Bussing A: Mistletoe: A story with an open end. Anticancer Drugs 8:S1-S2, 1997 (suppl 1)]

Formulations are sometimes labeled based on the tree from which the mistletoe was harvested; M for Malus (apple); P for Pinus (pine); Q for Quercus (oak); and U for Ulmus (elm) with different effects attributed to each. Each varietal is considered right for different cancers.
    So what about scientific proof?

I was coming to that. Surprisingly, conventional literature is littered with references to the use of various forms of mistletoe. I’ve resorted to just a few. Multiple scientific reports suggest that Iscador augments the immune response. Iscador has been shown to increase natural-killer cell function and antibody dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity. It enhance cytotoxicity of granulocytes and macrophages, and heighten delayed-type hyerpsensitivity response. Iscador has also been shown to stimulate T lymphocyte migration in vitro.

A landmark study was published in 2001 in the peer-reviewed journal Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine. It was designed to assess any improvement in survival times of patients with carcinoma of the colon, rectum, stomach, breast and lung.
    Altogether 10,226 cancer patients were involved in this long-term study, including 1668 patients treated with Iscador and 8475 who had taken neither Iscador nor any other mistletoe product (control patients).

The outcomes were very good. The patients who took Iscador survived 4.2 years, on average; the control group 3.05 years. That’s a 40% improvement—better than most chemo! (remember chemo success is NOT judged by survival times but by tumor shrinkage).

[Altern Ther Health Med. 2001 May-Jun;7(3):57-66, 68-72, 74-6 passim. Use of Iscador, an extract of European mistletoe (Viscum album), in cancer treatment: prospective nonrandomized and randomized matched-pair studies nested within a cohort study. Grossarth-Maticek R, Kiene H, Baumgartner SM, Ziegler R].

There’s a great deal more on the Alternative Doctor’s blog. Here’s a link for you:

We wish you a Merry Christmas;
    We wish you a Merry Christmas;
    We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Good tidings we bring to you and your kin;
    Good tidings for Christmas and Happy New Year.
    To you and your loved ones.

With love and light,

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  7. Aquarius123

Why Is Pineapple Good For You?

We all know that eating fresh fruit provides your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs to stay healthy, and pineapple is no different. Pineapples have lots of important properties that are essential for keeping you healthy. Here are some of its main nutritional benefits:

The Bromelain enzyme is generally found in the stem or core of a pineapple and helps to digest food by breaking down the protein particles within it. Promoting a healthy digestive system, it’s great for a natural detox and has also been known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-clotting properties.

Pineapple is low in calories, sodium, saturated fats and cholesterol while being a rich source of fibre, so it’s the perfect weight loss food – have a look at our healthy pineapple recipes for some tasty and nutritious snack ideas.

An excellent source of Vitamin C and other antioxidants essential for collagen synthesis, Vitamin C also helps to maintain the integrity of your blood vessels, skin, organs and bones.

Increasing your daily intake of antioxidants is also great for boosting your immune system, which means you’ll be able to fight off colds and flues during winter.

Pineapple is also known for its high level of manganese. The Manganese mineral is an essential element for energy production, while protecting your cells from free radicals. It helps your body use key nutrients including thiamine and biotin, keeps your bones healthy and helps synthesise fatty foods.

Pineapple is also a rich source in Vitamin A and Beta-Carotene, which helps your immune system, eyesight and protects from free radicals; Vitamins B1 and B6 which are good for energy production and the breakdown of sugars and starches in your digestive system; copper, which helps red blood cell synthesis; and potassium, which assists in controlling the heart rate and blood pressure.

To sum up, eating pineapple is good for your body both inside and out – eating a few slices of fresh pineapple a day can defend your body from harmful free radicals and disease, help your digestion by cleaning the body’s organs and blood, increase your energy intake and boost metabolism, nourish your hair, skin, nails and teeth and keep you generally healthy – plus it tastes great!

Created by Anon.
    Edited by Aquarius

8. Aquarius123

Why Is Pineapple Good For You?

Part Two

One of my friends very kindly e-mailed me the following:

• Fruits and vegetables contain NO cholesterol. It comes from animals.

• The majority of fat in fruits and vegetables is monosaturated or polyunsaturated, which are relatively harmless fats, unless one is under a strict weight control diet due to obesity or heart health issues.

• Bromelain enzyme is found in ALL parts of the pineapple. It is extracted primarily from the cores because this is the most commercially available part, as we all love our pineapple rings. Thus, commercial packers toss the core away. If some are told that Bromelain will help with osteoarthritis, that is somewhat true, but Bromelain needs two other enzymes for it to work.

• Beyond that, if folks are looking for fat free foodstuff, and something is said to have Omega 3, then it is NOT fat free. Omega 3 IS a fatty acid.

Just thought I'd clarify this a bit, he said, as there is no magical food and there is no single source of good nutrition. Nutrition is a complex thing, perhaps as much as the Universe itself and what lies behind it.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us, dear Friend.

With love and light,

9. Aquarius123

The Ever Useful Lemon

In The Home

1. Clean Cutting Boards, Rolling Pins, Salad Bowls, and More. Cutting boards and other wooden kitchen products are germ, and funky smell, hotbeds. Lemons to the rescue! The stuff works very well on both odors and bacteria; after you’ve washed your cutting board, rub 1/2 of a lemon over the wood and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Rinse the juice off and dry.

2. Get Rid of Grease. Nip grease in the bud – on counters, dishes, ranges, whatever – by rubbing 1/2 of a lemon with coarse salt sprinkled on it over the affected area. Wipe clean with a towel. Make sure the surface or dish you’re cleaning responds well to acid before doing this trick.

3. Clean Plastic Containers. Reusing plastic food containers is a great way to reduce waste, but smells can linger forever. Overcome that stink by soaking the container in a mixture of equal parts lemon juice and water.

4. Overcome Odors. Keep a couple lemon peels in your fridge (it works better than baking soda!) and the bottom of your trash can to avoid unpleasant smells.

5. Easily Clean Graters. Cheese graters are a pain in the neck to clean. Ease that pain with the help of 1/2 of a cut lemon; rub the lemon over the grater and wash as usual.

6. Polish Chrome and Stainless Steel. Forget that sponge – lemon rinds are excellent mild abrasives and work wonders of chrome and stainless steel. Scrub the metal, rinse and towel dry.
    Beauty & Fashion

7. DIY Deodorant. Commercial deodorants are full of scary, harsh chemicals. But what’s the alternative – becoming a social pariah?! Luckily, that’s where lemon juice comes in. Dabbing a little juice in your armpits works just as well, if not better, than the store-bought stuff.

8. Lighten Nails. As we age, our nails start to yellow. Reverse that by soaking your nails in a cup of water and the juice of 1 lemon. Soak for a few minutes and rinse.

9. Remove Armpit Stains from Clothes. Scrub a mixture of equal parts lemon juice and water onto the stain, then let the shirt air dry.

10. Zap Mildew. Mildew-y clothes aren’t ruined! Form a paste out of lemon juice and salt, apply to the mildew, and let air dry.

11. Sanitize Jewelry. Safety first! You can sanitize metal jewelry in a mixture of equal parts lemon and water. Better skip your fanciest gems and metals here, though.

12. Replace Toxic Bleach. Skip the bleach in your laundry room by adding 1/2 cup lemon juice to the wash instead.

10. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

as predicted this makes an interesting and also somewhat educating read, thanks
  11. Aquarius123

Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for letting me know. With love - Aquarius
  12. Aquarius123

The Healing Qualities Of Honey And Cinnamon

Honey is the only food in our world that will not spoil or rot. Although it will do what seems like turning to sugar, in reality honey always remains honey. However, when left in a cool dark place for a long time it will crystallise. When this happens, loosen the lid, boil some water and place the honey jar into the hot water. Turn off the heat and wait until it liquefies and becomes as spreadable as before. Never boil honey or put it in a microwave, as this kills its valuable enzymes.

Research has shown that a mixture of honey and cinnamon cures most diseases. Honey is produced in most countries. Many scientists these days accept honey as a very effective medicine for many diseases and that it has no unwanted side effects. Some scientists say that even though honey is sweet, when taken in the right dosage as a medicine, it is suitable for diabetic patients, too.

The Canadian magazine Weekly World News on 17[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1995 gave the following list of diseases that can be beneficially influenced with honey and cinnamon:

Heart Diseases

Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder, apply to bread and eat this regularly for your breakfast. It reduces the cholesterol in the arteries and saves the patient from heart attack. Also, those who have already had an attack, if they follow this process daily are unlikely to have another attack. Regular use of this relieves loss of breath and strengthens the heart beat. In America and Canada various nursing homes treated their patients successfully in this way. It was found that as we age our arteries and veins lose their flexibility and get clogged, and that honey and cinnamon revitalizes them.

Take daily, morning and night, one cup of hot water in which one tablespoon of honey and one half teaspoon of cinnamon powder have been dissolved. When taken regularly it is believed that even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon honey and half teaspoon cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week, out of 200 people treated in this way, 73 had been totally relieved of pain. Within a month, all the arthritic patients who could not walk or move around without pain were walking freely again.
    Bladder Infections

Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it. It destroys the germs in the bladder.

Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of cinnamon powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water, given to cholesterol patients has been found to reduce the level of cholesterol in their blood by ten percent within two hours. The same as mentioned for arthritic patients, if taken three times a day, chronic cholesterol excess can be cured. According to information received in the journal mentioned earlier, pure honey taken with food daily relieves excessive cholesterol.

Those suffering from common or severe colds are advised to take one tablespoon of lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder daily for three days. This process is believed to cure most chronic coughs and colds; it clears the sinuses, too.
    Stomach Upsets

Honey taken with cinnamon powder cures stomach ache and assist with healing stomach ulcers from the root.
    Intestinal Gas

Studies in India and Japan have revealed that if honey is taken with cinnamon powder the stomach is relieved of gas.
    Immune System

Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder is thought to strengthen the immune system and protect the body from bacteria and viral attacks. Scientists have established that honey contains a number of vitamins and iron in large amounts. Constant use of honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles to fight bacterial and viral diseases.

Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey taken before food relieves acidity and helps to digest the heaviest of meals.

A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural ingredient that kills the influenza germs and saves people from catching the flu.

Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken regularly, arrests the ravages of old age. Take four spoons of honey, one spoon of cinnamon powder, and three cups of water and boil to make like tea. Drink 1/4 cup, three to four times a day. This is said to keep the skin fresh and soft and slow down the ageing process.
    Spots And Pimples

Three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder paste. Apply this before sleeping and wash it next morning with warm water. If done daily for two weeks, it removes pimples from the root.
    Skin Infections

Applying honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts is believed to cure eczema, ringworm and other types of skin infections.

Weight Loss

Daily in the morning half an hour before breakfast on an empty stomach, and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup of water. If taken regularly, it is believed to reduce the weight of even the most obese person. Drinking this mixture regularly is thought not to allow the fat to accumulate in the body in spite of someone eating a high calorie diet.

Recent research in Japan and Australia has revealed that advanced cancer of the stomach and bones have been cured successfully. Patients suffering from these kinds of cancer should daily take one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder for one month three times a day.

Recent studies have shown that the sugar content of honey is more helpful rather than being detrimental to the strength of the body. Senior citizens, who take honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts, are more alert and flexible. Dr. Milton, who has done research, says that a half tablespoon of honey taken in a glass of water and sprinkled with cinnamon powder, taken daily after brushing and in the afternoon at about 3:00 P.M. when the vitality of the body starts to decrease, increases the vitality of the body within a week.

Bad Breath

People of South America, first thing in the morning, gargle with one teaspoon of honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water, so their breath stays fresh throughout the day.

Loss Of Hearing

Daily morning and night honey and cinnamon powder, taken in equal parts, is said to restore hearing.

13. Aquarius123

The Number One Killer On The Roads Of Our World

With mobile phones becoming the number one killer on roads around the world, Volkswagen have released a driving ad. It starts with an endless, straight, slightly boring road for the driver, until the crucial moment, when a close-range mobile broadcasting device pushes an SMS message to all phones in the cinema, at the same time, something happens on screen and is followed by a safety message.

Please follow the link below:

‘Eyes On The Road’

14. Aquarius123

The Health Benefits of Grapes

The health benefits of grapes include their ability to treat constipation, indigestion, fatigue, kidney disorders, macular degeneration and the prevention of cataracts. Grapes, one of the most popular and delicious fruits, are rich sources of vitamins A, C, B6 and folate in addition to essential minerals like potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium and selenium.

Grapes contain flavonoids that are very powerful antioxidants, which can reduce the damage caused by free radicals and slow down ageing. Grapes, due to their high nutrient content, play an important role in ensuring a healthy and active life.
    Some of the health benefits of grapes include the following:

Asthma: Due to their well-known therapeutic value, grapes can be used as a cure for asthma. In addition to that, the hydrating power of grapes is also high, which increases the moisture present in the lungs and reduces asthmatic events.

Bone Health: Grapes are a wonderful source of micro-nutrients like copper, iron, and manganese, all of which are important in the formation and strength of the bones. Adding grapes into your diet on a regular basis can prevent the onset of age-related conditions like osteoporosis. Manganese is an extremely important element in the body, which aids in everything from protein metabolism, collagen formation, and nervous system functioning.

Heart diseases: Grapes increase the nitric oxide levels in the blood, which prevents blood clots. Therefore, grapes are an effective way to reduce the chances of heart attacks. Additionally, the antioxidants present in grapes prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, which blocks the blood vessels and is a main contributor to various coronary conditions. Grapes also have high numbers of flavonoids, which are what give grapes their color, but flavonoids are also very powerful antioxidants. The two main types in grapes are resveratrol and quercetin, and these two compounds negate the effects of free radicals that threaten the body and stimulate LDL cholesterol’s harmful effects on arteries. Also, these two antioxidant flavonoids act as a clean-up crew to reduce platelet clumping and filter toxins out of the blood.

Migraine: Ripe grape juice is an important home remedy for curing migraines. It should be drunk early in the morning, without mixing additional water. Ironically, drinking red wine is often considered a cause of migraines, but grape juice and grape seed extract is considered a solution for the problem. There are many causes behind migraines, and it can be difficult to pinpoint the culprit, since they include chemical imbalances, lack of sleep, changes in weather, or dietary deficiencies. Alcohol in general causes migraines, but grapes have so many antioxidants that they can cause and cure the same illness.

Constipation: Grapes are very effective in overcoming and eliminating constipation. They are classified as a laxative food, because they contain organic acid, sugar and cellulose. They also relieve chronic constipation by toning up intestinal muscles and the stomach. Grapes are high in insoluble fibre, meaning that it remains intact as it moves through the digestive tract. It builds up bulk, which promotes the formation and excretion of healthy stool, so grapes can help make you much more regular. However, if you suffer from loos stool or diarrhoea, grapes should not be used as a way to regulate your system. Insoluble fibre doesn’t soak up water to dry out loose stool, and grapes don’t have a high level of soluble fibre.

Indigestion: Grapes play an important role in dyspepsia. They relieve heat and cure indigestion and irritation in the stomach. They are also preferred over other digestive aids because they are considered a “light food”.

Fatigue: Light and white grape juice supplements the iron content in the body and prevents fatigue. Anaemia is a real problem for many people, and eating grapes can help keep your iron and mineral levels balanced in the body. A lack of iron can make you sluggish, and your mind also doesn’t work as quickly, since iron is an essential mineral that impact a number of bodily functions. However, dark grape juice might not give an iron boost and may actually decrease iron levels. Drinking grape juice also provides a nearly instant energy boost.

Diabetes: Recent research suggests that grape skin extract (GSE) exerts a novel inhibitory activity on hyperglycemia and may help in diabetes management.

Dental Care: According to a recent study, red wine and grape seed extract can potentially help prevent cavities.

Kidney disorders: Grapes can substantially reduce the acidity of uric acid and they also help to eliminate acid from the system, thereby reducing the stress and pressure on the kidneys. Since grapes have a high water content, they induce urination, which also helps to eliminate the uric acid still present in the body after its acidity is reduced. Grapes have a very cleansing effect on the body, and the antioxidants present benefit all of the body’s systems in peripheral ways.

Blood cholesterol: Grapes contain a compound called pterostilbene, which has the capacity to lower a person’s cholesterol levels. Pterostilbene is closely related to resveratrol, the beneficial antioxidant and colouring flavonoid that is also found in grapes, and early research has shown that it has anti-cancer qualities as well as having a great impact on cholesterol levels. It is also thought to have preventative powers over cognitive decline. Furthermore, the saponins present in the skin of grapes can also prevent the absorption of cholesterol by binding with it.

Antibacterial activity: Red grapes have strong antibacterial and antiviral properties that can protect you from infections. They display strong antiviral properties against the polio virus and the herpes simplex virus. Studies have also shown that grape juice can tackle bacterial infections in the gut and other systems.

Breast cancer: In a recent study, it has been discovered that purple, Concord grape juice helps in preventing breast cancer. Significant reduction in mammary tumour mass of laboratory rats was seen after they were fed the grape juice in an experimental setting. The antioxidants in grapes are beneficial in the prevention of all types of cancer, but there are some fascinating studies which specifically show grape juice as an effective preventive measure against breast cancer. Certain chemicals in grapes compete for binding sites, and inhibits aromatase from changing androgen to oestrogen, which is thought to be a big contributing factor to breast cancer growth in women.

Alzheimer’s disease: Resveratrol, a beneficial polyphenol present in grapes, reduces the levels of amyloidal-beta peptides in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Studies suggest that grapes can enhance brain health and delay the onset of degenerative neural diseases. A study published in the British Journal of Nutrition claims that grape juice can even improve the brain function of older people who have already displayed mild cognitive impairment. Further studies are currently under way to determine the exact interaction between grape components and neural systems.

Macular degeneration: Grapes can prevent age-related loss of vision and macular degeneration. Research study conducted at University of Miami suggests that grape-enriched diet supports eye health and may prevent vision-threatening retinal diseases.

Grapes Studies have shown that three servings of grapes a day can reduce the risks of macular degeneration by over 36%. Both grapes and wine can contribute to a reduced loss of vision over time, and as with all of the organ systems, the health and susceptibility to disease or damage is lessened by the antioxidants packed into every grape.

Immune System: Grapes are not only packed with flavonoids and minerals, but vitamins as well. The high levels of Vitamin C, K, and A in grapes gives you a healthy boost to many of your organ systems, particularly your immune system, which means less chance of coming down with common colds, as well as more serious health issues.

Prevention of cataracts: Flavonoids present in grapes have antioxidants, which can reduce and fight the damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals cause things like the development of cataracts, as well as cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and various age-related problems. This is somewhat linked to macular degeneration, as they usually occur around the same time in life. Fortunately, antioxidants also have certain anti-aging qualities, which not only help you look younger, but also feel younger by staving off age-related conditions like cataracts.

Cancer prevention properties: Grapes have been found to have strong anti-cancer properties due to the anti-inflammatory effect of resveratrol. It is particularly effective in reducing the chances of colorectal cancer and breast cancer. The anthocyanins and pro-anthocyanidins in grapes have properties of an anti-proliferate and can inhibit the growth of cancer causing agents. Grape juice not only prevents the risk of cancer but also suppresses the growth and propagation of cancer cells. The pigments contained in grapes enhance the overall immunity of the body to a wide range of diseases.

In conclusion, grapes play a pivotal role in preventing a multitude of health disorders and can be used as a home-based remedy for several ailments. Dried grapes, known as raisins, are also extremely nutritious and can help treat many disorders, including constipation, acidosis, anaemia, fever, and sexual dysfunction. Raisins can also help people gain weight quickly and protect the health and functional integrity of their eyes.
    From ‘Organic Facts’

15. Aquarius123

Interesting Facts And Figures

• Gold is the only metal that does not rust, even if it is buried in the ground for thousands of years.

• Glass takes one million years to decompose. This means it never wears out and it can be recycled an infinite amount of times!

• The tongue is the only muscle in our body that is attached at only one end.

• When our body becomes dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts off. So, if you ever stop getting thirsty, you need to get some water quickly and drink it.

• Zero is the only number that does not exist in Roman numerals.

• Kites were used in the American Civil War to deliver letters and newspapers.

• The song, Auld Lang Syne, is sung at the stroke of midnight in almost every English-speaking country in the world to bring in the new year.

• Drinking water after eating reduces the acid in your mouth by sixty-one percent.

• Peanut oil is used for cooking in submarines because it doesn’t smoke until it is heated above 450 degrees Fahrenheit or 232 degrees Celsius.

• The roar we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the sound of the ocean, but that of our blood surging through the veins in our ear.

• Nine out of every ten living things of the Earth are found in our oceans.

• The banana cannot reproduce itself. It can only be propagated manually.

• Airports at higher altitudes require longer airstrips because of the lower air density in these places.

• The University of Alaska spans four time zones.

• The tooth is the only part of the human body that cannot heal itself.

• In ancient Greece, tossing an apple to a girl was a traditional proposal of marriage. If a girl caught it, she accepted.

• Warner Communications paid twenty-eight million dollars for the copyright of the song Happy Birthday.

• Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair than less gifted ones.

• A comet’s tail always points away from the Sun.

• The Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 caused more death and illness than the disease it was intended to prevent. I find this hardly surprising. Recommended Reading: Reflections On The Swine Flu

• Caffeine increases the effects of aspirin and other painkillers. That’s why it is found in some medicines.

• The military salute is a motion that evolved from medieval times, when knights in armour raised their visors to reveal their identity to each other.

• If you climbed into the bottom of a well or a tall chimney and looked up, you would be able to see see stars, even in the middle of the day.

• When a person dies, hearing is the last sense to go. The first one is sight.

• In ancient times strangers shook hands to prove to each other that they were unarmed.

• Strawberries are the only fruits whose seeds grow on the outside.

• Avocados have the highest calories of any fruit at one hundred and sixty-seven calories per hundred grams.

• The Moon moves about two inches away from the Earth each year.

• The Earth gets one hundred tons heavier every day because of space dust falling onto it.

• Because of Earth’s gravity it is impossible for mountains to be higher than 15,000 meters.

• Mickey Mouse is called Topolino in Italy.

• Soldiers do not march in step when going across bridges because this could set up a vibration that could be sufficient to knock the bridge down.

• Everything weighs one percent less at the equator.

• For every extra kilogram carried on a space flight, 530 kg of excess fuel are needed at lift-off.

• The letter J does not appear anywhere on the periodic table of the elements.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
  16. Aquarius123

Protect Yourself Against Scam Emails

With every passing year online fraud and scams are increasing. One of my providers recently sent me an email about fraudulent email activities that contained advice to ensure that in future I should be protected against such threats. This is what they had to say:

Many emails are currently making the rounds that purport to be from well known companies who trade on the internet. To give you an example, the sender informs you that someone is interested in buying your domain name and tells you that it is necessary for you to pay an appraisal fee to assess the value of your domain or that you should have to pay something to protect the interested party from buying your domain name.

Such emails are never from the company they claim to represent. They are scams that have been sent from addresses that appear official but are in no way associated with the company in question. Never click on any of these links, but report them as scam to your email provider and delete them immediately. Whenever you receive any kind of email about which you are in doubt, proceed in this manner.

Scams like the above mentioned are operated by criminals who are attempting to steal your money or fraudulently get your account details to gain unauthorised access to your account. These emails are a serious threat to the security of your account and should be avoided at all costs. If you are in doubt about any email you receive, report it as scam and delete it.

If you receive a suspicious email that appears to be from one of your suppliers or providers, contact them by using any details you may have of them or go direct to the website in question and ask for their advice. They are sure to be more than happy to clear up the matter for you.

So, how can I avoid scam and phishing emails? Here are a few tips to protect yourself against them:

Guard against spam. Be cautious of any email you are not expecting or from unrecognised senders.

Don’t click links. Hover over any links before clicking them. If the link contains a strange address that is different from the email content, don’t click it.

Go direct. Instead of clicking on the links in the email, go to the website directly and tell them about the email you have received and the claims it makes. The company is likely to be grateful to you for helping them to become aware of a scam that is making the rounds in their name.

Personal information. Be aware of any email that asks you to log in and give personal or financial information. The company is likely to want to steal it.

Read warnings. If you follow a link and get an SSL warning message, for example: ‘There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.’ Forget about contacting anyone. Just delete the email.

Protect yourself. Ensure your computer is protected by a firewall, spam filters, anti-virus and anti-spy software.

Update your software. Always update your web browser and email account to the latest versions. The upgrades may include essential security updates and built-in protection you would not want to miss.

Double check. If you ever receive a suspicious email and are unsure whether you should click the link provided, contact the company who sent the email and check with them its authenticity. This takes only a moment, but could save you lots of trouble.

* * *​
  17. Aquarius123

Today I have something extra special for all those who enjoy travelling and exploring other countries and their customs.
    It is a video that is neither funny nor suitable for the song thread,
    so I have decided to share it with you here:

To Russia With Love

A Journey On The Zarengold – Gold Of The Tsars – Train

Of The Trans-Siberian Railways

It is a video that lasts thirty-five minutes
    and takes us in style and splendour
    through landscapes of breath-taking beauty.

If that sounds good to you,
    Please follow the link below:

‘The Journey’

* * *​
  18. Aquarius123

Facts About The Good Old Cucumber
    • Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one of them contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.
    • Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. They are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates and can provide that quick pick-me-up that may last for hours.
    • Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Rub a cucumber slice along the mirror to eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
    • Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminium to give off a scent undetectable to humans that drives garden pests crazy and makes them flee the area.
    • Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too.
    • Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache.
    • Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries, often by European trappers, traders and explorers for quick meals to avoid starvation.
    • Have an important meeting or job interview and you realise that you don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a piece of freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.
    • Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and the squeak will be gone.
    • Stressed out and don't have time for a massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pan of water. The chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber react with the boiling water and are released into the steam, creating a soothing and relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in particular for new mothers and college students during final exams.
    • Just finish a business lunch and don't have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath. The cucumber’s phytochemicals kill the bacteria in your mouth that are responsible for causing bad breath.
    • Looking for a 'green' way to clean your taps, sinks and other items of stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean. Not only does this remove years of tarnish and brings back the shine, it also won't leave streaks and harm you fingers or fingernails whilst cleaning.
    • Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers children have used to decorate your walls.
    * * *​
  19. Helen Miller

Helen Miller New Member

Cucumber has many health benefits. Cucumber helps in reducing the appearance of cellulite. The phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your outer skin layer to tighten up, reducing the visibility of cellulite. A healthy diet have a peek here is also very important in reducing the appearance of cellulite.
    Aquarius123 likes this.