Practical Tips and Useful Ideas

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Aquarius123, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

If you have any practical tips and useful ideas for sharing with others, this is the place to do so. To get the ball rolling, here is my first tip:

Natural Flu Protection – The Humble Onion

The time of year when the danger of catching the common cold or its most severe form, flu, comes round surprisingly quickly each year and with it the need for refreshing our memories about natural ways of protecting ourselves and our loved ones against all manner of airborne bacteria, including any flu viruses that may be at large. Let me begin with the story one of my friends told me some time ago of how when, as a child, he was in hospital and near dying. His Italian/African grandmother came to visit him and she told a family member to go buy her a large onion and a clean pair of white cotton socks. She sliced the onion open, then put a slice on the bottom of each of his feet and pulled the socks over this. In the morning when he awoke and the socks were removed, they found that the slices of onion had turned black and his fever was gone.

The following has been reported from the year 1919 when a flu virus is believed to have killed forty million people. One of the doctors, who visited people to see if he could help them, came upon a farm where, to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked how this was achieved, the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the main room of their house. There would probably not have been more than two rooms in any case. The doctor couldn’t believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. Clearly, through absorbing the bacteria, the onion had kept the family healthy.

Another story I heard from a hairdresser. She said that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick and that certainly convinced her that it works. And no, I am not sharing this information with you because I am in the onion business. So, how about buying some onions and placing them in bowls around your home? If you work at a desk, place one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere. Try it and see what happens. The friend who sent me this says they did it in their home and they never got the flu.

If this helps us and our loved ones not to become sick, what could be better? But even if you do get the flu, because of the healing influence of the onion it will probably be only in a mild form. What is there to lose, apart from a few pence or cents on onions?

One lady reports as follows: ‘I contracted pneumonia and needless to say I was very ill. I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put one end on a fork and then place the forked end into an empty jar, placing the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs. Sure enough it happened just like that. The onion was a mess, but I began to feel better.’

Another thing I read somewhere was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague in times gone by because of their powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

Following the advice, I placed onions strategically all over my home, and I have to say, they do look quite decorative. One stands in a small wooden bowl in my living room and creates the impression of a sculpture. And by the way, because the onions do not have to be peeled, no unpleasant smells linger.

After reading the above, one of my friends contacted me with this: ‘I have tried both onion and garlic on ear infections. At one time my ear drum had actually burst, and even though I had been to see the doctor twice, each time she refused to prescribe antibiotics. This was because there was no redness in my ear canal thanks to the onion and garlic I had placed over it. I think she only believed me when, on my third visit, a discharge was evident.

‘My Grandmother used to place an onion in a bowl of water in rooms that had been painted and decorated, to take away the smell of the fumes.’

From Dian Dincin Buchman’s excellent book ‘Herbal Medicine’ come the following two remedies: ‘Coughs: An old pioneer remedy consists of simmered honey and onion syrup. The onion may be juiced first and added to the honey, if this seems desirable. If available, add a pinch of thyme and ginseng powder, as both are very helpful in chest complaints.’

‘Coughs, Bronchitis, Asthma: Make an onion broth. Cut up a large red onion. If you haven’t got one, a white one will work, too. Add a pint of cold water, a pinch of salt and a pat of butter and simmer until the onion is soft. Place the broth in a hot bowl and eat it as hot as possible, without removing the onion pieces. Minerals from the onion and its mucilaginous properties help soothe the inflamed mucous membranes and induce perspiration. This helps to reduce the chest congestion and causes the release of toxins.’

2. Aquarius123

3. Aquarius123

4. Aquarius123

The Wonderful Healing Qualities Of The Mistletoe

The name mistletoe was originally applied to Viscum album, the European mistletoe, of the family Santalaceae in the order Santalales, the only species native in Great Britain and much of Europe. European mistletoe is readily recognised by its smooth-edged oval evergreen leaves borne in pairs along the woody stem, and waxy white berries in dense clusters of two to six. It is a poisonous plant that causes acute gastrointestinal problems including stomach pain and diarrhoea along with low pulse. The genus Viscum is not native to North America, but Viscum album has been introduced to California.

Did you know that Iscador, the homeopathic preparation of mistletoe, is the most commonly prescribed oncological drug in Germany? Actually, according to Wikipedia some 60% of all oncological treatments in central Europe include some form of mistletoe. You probably didn’t know that. Any inconvenient truths are suppressed by the US medical mafia and their media allies. They cling here to the feeble obsession that the US way is the ‘only way’ and by inference, therefore the correct way. Of course this has more to do with protecting profits than any subsumed moral or scientific right. But it’s curious, isn’t it, that all humble and inexpensive treatments are ‘bad’, ‘unproven’ or even ‘dangerous’!

Iscador was originally introduced by German philosopher, educationalist and healer Rudolph Steiner (1861- 1925). Steiner went on to found a whole healing system called anthroposophic medicine—literally ‘human-loving’. Iscador is actually a lactobacillus-fermented extract of the European mistletoe plant, Viscum album and is available here in the USA, by prescription, as the drug Iscar. None of what is written here applies to the American mistletoe, Phoradendron serotinum (we just don’t know).

Mistletoe’s Colourful History

Do you know why we kiss under the mistletoe at Christmas? Millennia ago, in the days of the Druids in Europe, Yule was a highly celebrated event (it survives as our Christmas, which has nothing to do with Jesus’ supposed birthday). The drink and partying went on for days. So did the wild promiscuous sex! Mistletoe was the chosen contraceptive. A decoction of this sacred plant taken by women gave them a few days in which they could make whoopee, without the inconvenience of becoming pregnant. Fast forward 3,000 years or more and today we settle for a coy little kiss under a sprig of mistletoe. My, how times have changed!

Other Uses Of Mistletoe

Mistletoe has been known medicinally since the earliest times. The Druids were well aware of its fabulous healing properties and called it ‘All-Heal’. Mistletoe growing on oak trees was especially prized. A Bronze Age burial found in England contained a skeleton covered with oak branches and mistletoe. The two plants have been associated with one another and held sacred in Britain since prehistoric times. Mistletoe is very toxic and needs caution in use. It acts on the central nervous system: causing numbness, slowing of the heartbeat and is a specific against epilepsy: small doses stop spasms and convulsions. It is also prescribed as a diuretic, for high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries and chilblains. Definitely not recommended as a contraceptive, even if it does work!

Anti-Cancer Properties

The tumour-fighting possibilities of mistletoe have been known for centuries. As I reported, the use of mistletoe is still widespread in Europe, where it does not need to prove itself. Many cancer patients use natural supplements in conjunction with cytotoxic chemotherapy, but little is known about their potential interaction. One survey showed that over 60% of all German cancer patients used mistletoe in some form—frequently in conjunction with standard cancer treatments such as radiation, chemotherapy, or surgery.

[Bussing A: Mistletoe: A story with an open end. Anticancer Drugs 8:S1-S2, 1997 (suppl 1)]

Formulations are sometimes labeled based on the tree from which the mistletoe was harvested; M for Malus (apple); P for Pinus (pine); Q for Quercus (oak); and U for Ulmus (elm) with different effects attributed to each. Each varietal is considered right for different cancers.

So what about scientific proof?

I was coming to that. Surprisingly, conventional literature is littered with references to the use of various forms of mistletoe. I’ve resorted to just a few. Multiple scientific reports suggest that Iscador augments the immune response. Iscador has been shown to increase natural-killer cell function and antibody dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity. It enhance cytotoxicity of granulocytes and macrophages, and heighten delayed-type hyerpsensitivity response. Iscador has also been shown to stimulate T lymphocyte migration in vitro.

A landmark study was published in 2001 in the peer-reviewed journal Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine. It was designed to assess any improvement in survival times of patients with carcinoma of the colon, rectum, stomach, breast and lung. Altogether 10,226 cancer patients were involved in this long-term study, including 1668 patients treated with Iscador and 8475 who had taken neither Iscador nor any other mistletoe product (control patients).

The outcomes were very good. The patients who took Iscador survived 4.2 years, on average; the control group 3.05 years. That’s a 40% improvement—better than most chemo! (remember chemo success is NOT judged by survival times but by tumor shrinkage).

[Altern Ther Health Med. 2001 May-Jun;7(3):57-66, 68-72, 74-6 passim. Use of Iscador, an extract of European mistletoe (Viscum album), in cancer treatment: prospective nonrandomized and randomized matched-pair studies nested within a cohort study. Grossarth-Maticek R, Kiene H, Baumgartner SM, Ziegler R].

There’s a great deal more on the Alternative Doctor’s blog. Here’s a link for you:

We wish you a Merry Christmas;
    We wish you a Merry Christmas;
    We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Good tidings we bring to you and your kin;
    Good tidings for Christmas and Happy New Year.
    To you and your loved ones.

With love and light,

5. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

instead of using cough medicine, use honey. It works better than the coughing medicine in my opinion and doesn't the possible problems for those with high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes.
  6. Aquarius123

Why Is Pineapple Good For You?

We all know that eating fresh fruit provides your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs to stay healthy, and pineapple is no different. Pineapples have lots of important properties that are essential for keeping you healthy. Here are some of its main nutritional benefits:

The Bromelain enzyme is generally found in the stem or core of a pineapple and helps to digest food by breaking down the protein particles within it. Promoting a healthy digestive system, it’s great for a natural detox and has also been known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-clotting properties.

Pineapple is low in calories, sodium, saturated fats and cholesterol while being a rich source of fibre, so it’s the perfect weight loss food – have a look at our healthy pineapple recipes for some tasty and nutritious snack ideas.

An excellent source of Vitamin C and other antioxidants essential for collagen synthesis, Vitamin C also helps to maintain the integrity of your blood vessels, skin, organs and bones.

Increasing your daily intake of antioxidants is also great for boosting your immune system, which means you’ll be able to fight off colds and flues during winter.

Pineapple is also known for its high level of manganese. The Manganese mineral is an essential element for energy production, while protecting your cells from free radicals. It helps your body use key nutrients including thiamine and biotin, keeps your bones healthy and helps synthesise fatty foods.

Pineapple is also a rich source in Vitamin A and Beta-Carotene, which helps your immune system, eyesight and protects from free radicals; Vitamins B1 and B6 which are good for energy production and the breakdown of sugars and starches in your digestive system; copper, which helps red blood cell synthesis; and potassium, which assists in controlling the heart rate and blood pressure.

To sum up, eating pineapple is good for your body both inside and out – eating a few slices of fresh pineapple a day can defend your body from harmful free radicals and disease, help your digestion by cleaning the body’s organs and blood, increase your energy intake and boost metabolism, nourish your hair, skin, nails and teeth and keep you generally healthy – plus it tastes great!

Created by Anon.
    Edited by Aquarius

7. Aquarius123

Why Is Pineapple Good For You?

Part Two

One of my friends very kindly e-mailed me the following:

• Fruits and vegetables contain NO cholesterol. It comes from animals.

• The majority of fat in fruits and vegetables is monosaturated or polyunsaturated, which are relatively harmless fats, unless one is under a strict weight control diet due to obesity or heart health issues.

• Bromelain enzyme is found in ALL parts of the pineapple. It is extracted primarily from the cores because this is the most commercially available part, as we all love our pineapple rings. Thus, commercial packers toss the core away. If some are told that Bromelain will help with osteoarthritis, that is somewhat true, but Bromelain needs two other enzymes for it to work.

• Beyond that, if folks are looking for fat free foodstuff, and something is said to have Omega 3, then it is NOT fat free. Omega 3 IS a fatty acid.

Just thought I'd clarify this a bit, he said, as there is no magical food and there is no single source of good nutrition. Nutrition is a complex thing, perhaps as much as the Universe itself and what lies behind it.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us, dear Friend.

With love and light,

8. Aquarius123

The Ever Useful Lemon

In The Home

1. Clean Cutting Boards, Rolling Pins, Salad Bowls, and More. Cutting boards and other wooden kitchen products are germ, and funky smell, hotbeds. Lemons to the rescue! The stuff works very well on both odors and bacteria; after you’ve washed your cutting board, rub 1/2 of a lemon over the wood and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Rinse the juice off and dry.

2. Get Rid of Grease. Nip grease in the bud – on counters, dishes, ranges, whatever – by rubbing 1/2 of a lemon with coarse salt sprinkled on it over the affected area. Wipe clean with a towel. Make sure the surface or dish you’re cleaning responds well to acid before doing this trick.

3. Clean Plastic Containers. Reusing plastic food containers is a great way to reduce waste, but smells can linger forever. Overcome that stink by soaking the container in a mixture of equal parts lemon juice and water.

4. Overcome Odors. Keep a couple lemon peels in your fridge (it works better than baking soda!) and the bottom of your trash can to avoid unpleasant smells.

5. Easily Clean Graters. Cheese graters are a pain in the neck to clean. Ease that pain with the help of 1/2 of a cut lemon; rub the lemon over the grater and wash as usual.

6. Polish Chrome and Stainless Steel. Forget that sponge – lemon rinds are excellent mild abrasives and work wonders of chrome and stainless steel. Scrub the metal, rinse and towel dry.
    Beauty & Fashion

7. DIY Deodorant. Commercial deodorants are full of scary, harsh chemicals. But what’s the alternative – becoming a social pariah?! Luckily, that’s where lemon juice comes in. Dabbing a little juice in your armpits works just as well, if not better, than the store-bought stuff.

8. Lighten Nails. As we age, our nails start to yellow. Reverse that by soaking your nails in a cup of water and the juice of 1 lemon. Soak for a few minutes and rinse.

9. Remove Armpit Stains from Clothes. Scrub a mixture of equal parts lemon juice and water onto the stain, then let the shirt air dry.

10. Zap Mildew. Mildew-y clothes aren’t ruined! Form a paste out of lemon juice and salt, apply to the mildew, and let air dry.

11. Sanitize Jewelry. Safety first! You can sanitize metal jewelry in a mixture of equal parts lemon and water. Better skip your fanciest gems and metals here, though.

12. Replace Toxic Bleach. Skip the bleach in your laundry room by adding 1/2 cup lemon juice to the wash instead.