Practically Define What a Friend is For Me

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PinkiePieInTheSky, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PinkiePieInTheSky

PinkiePieInTheSky Well-Known Member

In practical not-to-sentimental terms, describe what makes a person a friend for me.
    I realized that I don't know what a friend is. Because I realized people would tell me that truly consider me their friend, when I couldn't honestly tell them I considered them my friend.
    Because I don't know what the word friend exactly means.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I've had good and bad friends. I think everyone has a different view on what a friend is and some expect too much and push them too far. But to me a friend is someone who accepts you for who you are no matter what and helps you when you're in trouble as long as you would do the same. Basically someone who is there for you, also trust is a big element. Trust is a must. I think when you're sick or need help you find out for sure who your real friends are. The ones who remain by your side.
  3. Concrete_Angel

Concrete_Angel Forum Buddy

Hello, to me a friend is somebody who is there for the good times and the bad times. Who is honest with you and doesn't judge you at all. Who listens to you and cares for you, who makes you laugh and is trustworthy. But a definition of a friend is different for everybody.
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Someone who is always there for you, even when you are at your lowest. They won't abandon you, lie to you, talk behind your back, or treat you badly. A person that you can rely on, someone you can have fun with, and who doesn't unfairly judge you.
  5. K8E

K8E Well-Known Member

Someone that you trust, that will listen to you and accept who you are, someone you like to spend time with, someone you can sit in a comfortable silence with. Mutual respect, trust, a shared interest or two........Someone who will give you their last piece of chocolate.....
  6. Lilies

Lilies New Member

I learned the hard way during the last 3-4 years when I was very sick what a friend or even a family member should be. For instance, would friend come over in the middle of the night to comfort me when I am in deep physical pain? Would they take me in for weeks at a time so they can cook me nice warm meals when I am too weak to cook for myself? The reality is they may not want the burden, and their own family will comes first. They don’t stop to think to themselves, my friend is unfortunate for not having a supportive loving family, let's help her as we would with our own family?

I can more details but it will be long as a book, the bottom line is I am very depressed and worry about my future because I don’t want to go through what I went through the last 3-4 years again. Medical insurances only can do much, and social service, to be bluntly, sucks. It is very painful emotionally and mentally to feel so alone and "ignored" as if I am worthless or not important.

Such friend as defined by Petal, Concrete_Angel, Witt_Sarcasm and K8E are hard to find.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.