Prayers vs Religious Preaching

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Axiom, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Just a simple question, is the expression of a prayer generalized under the topic of religion? As in, is it preaching the moment you write a prayer?

I think you can say a prayer, express a prayer, vent a prayer and not be preaching.

If I were to say, "I pray that I overcome my demons", and have a series of similar statments, would that make such a thread moved to the Soap Box?(Where it then is open to be ripped apart by people who have a distaste for religion?)

"I wish I overcome my demons. ect." Has the same ring to me.

I personally read both as, my beliefe is that I overcome my demons.

Granted there might be a true specific that is directly related to a beliefe in the religion posted in such a message, but do you belive that by sensoring someones expression to write a prayer it is calming nerves of people here? A prayer is an expression, usually of one where someone speaking, crying, asking, screaming out to the one being they believe is their creator.

Isn't that similar to someone speaking, crying, asking, screaming out to anyone? The only difference being the intended audience, but the expression being the same? Isn't that really what this forum is about, expressing yourself? I don't think someone writing a thread about a prayer being any harm. Atleast, being thrown into a forum where it can be debated, kind of is insulting. Honestly, i have no love for relgiion, been called a demon by my mother, been said i am possessed and loads of things... but I can seperate that crap from someone who believes in something, and trying to express their feelings with their beliefes. A prayer isn't preaching to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

True.

I can say I pray for all the sick and needy people in the world.
    I can also say I pray for people who are going to hell because they're French

Some prayers offend, some prayers preach, others don't.

(Oh, apologies to the French, I didn't mean it)

3. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

True, I definatly agree with you. But, ...

I can say I wish the best for all the sick and needy people in the world.
    I can also say I wish the best for people who are going to hell because they're French

To me personally, it's a case of directivness and definition of another person. Like any post here, we sensor the ones that are deemed negative towards a certain group, or envoke certain thoughts that trail down paths that aren't appriopriate. If the 'I pray' part was looked past, and the actual message was looked at, then I think it would be fine. I just worry that the moment a simple 'I pray' is written, we generalise it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.