Pre-Diabetes

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Hache, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I have spoke on here before about my fear of having diabetes, this was a while ago though. I am also an extreme fussy eater so all I live off is starch, sugar and diary. Now throw 5 years worth of depression and no excercise.

Whenever I am home home, not uni home, I notice I pee a lot, I am thirsty a lot, noticeable because I have nothing to do here. The lack of movement (sitting on my arse for 12 hours on the computer) doesnt help things, at least at uni there is movement.

I am self diagnosing myself with pre-diebetes, I wont go to the doctor right now because I am scared of what they will say.

On Sunday I go back to uni. I am going to change my diet completely, I already have a planned diet, eliminating white flour, sugary foods and high saturated fat foods. Every day I will run for 20-30 minutes.

In one months time if the symptoms still exist I will go to the doctor or a pharmacy for a test.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I will have what I will call the last supper. I am going out for a pizza, this will be my last pizza for the month, except for my birthday. Tomorrow will also be the last bar of chocolate, the last bag of crisps, the last white bread bun.

Here we go :sad:

2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Good luck with everything.... diabetes is scary shit.

3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

The atypical anti- psychotic class of medications are notorious for causing weight gain and/or elevated blood sugar. One of the most important factors in regulating blood sugar levels is maintaining insulin sensitivity. Regular exercise, avoiding central (waistline) obesity and even supplementing your diet with the spice cinnamon http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/ar/archive/jul00/cinn0700.htm will keep your body sensitive to it's own output of insulin.

A low carbohydrate diet is usually recommended for maintaining healthy blood sugar levels but not everyone feels energetic on severely restricted carbohydrates. I have no blood sugar issues but I have always been interested in nutrition and tried a low carbohydrate diet. I felt terrible- my body seems to require a high carb diet.

If you feel you don't feel energetic on a low carbohydrate diet you should become familiar with the glycemic index http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.php#axzz1BuEpNBAq and choose foods that digest slowly without causing rapid blood sugar fluctuations. A low glycemic diet is also excellent for non-diabetics who want to lose some weight.

Good luck Hache.

4. kote

kote Account Closed

im diabetic - type 2
    i used to live off coke and meat!!!
    at first i was pretty slim, but i had a mental breakdown.
    this resulted in me staying in bed pretty much of the time and not keeping up with my sports. i had asked the dr. before whether i could be diabetic as i drunk loads and was still always thirsty.
    anyway due to my lack of movement, energy, motivation i put on more weight which mad me less motivated and with less energy. a vicious circle.
    i found once diagnosed and on insulin i felt more energetic and watching what i ate much more healthy and now exercising more the weight is coming back off. as is the depression and motivation, both are much better.
    im off insulin but on 1 injection a day to boost natural insulin and 2 tablets every meal.
    i feel lucky to have it as i have to watch everything im doing very carefully.
    please be careful and try not to tip over into the abyss of diabetes.

also the above poster's advice is spot on!!!