Prejudiced on Self Harm :@

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt93

"I self harm.

I've never self harmed, so i don't know what it feels like. But i advise you to stop, it's like breaking someone else's beautiful creation, think about it. Who's it really helping? Is it really worth it? Do you deserve the pain? Why are you actually hurting yourself? There's people out there who care about you. There's someone out there who thinks about you non stop, they're smiling because of you, you're there everything, you've just got to wait for them to save you. So, when you go for that blade, just think.. it's controlled you for too long, it's about time you give yourself a break!"

I saw this on a website known as formspring, where you can ask, or say something anonymously if you want to someone, and they can respond.

This fucking pissed me off.

I advise you to fucking stop?! You've never self harmed, you have no idea what it's capable of. Breaking someone else's creation? It's a fair point, but we were born with this body to do as we wish, so please, shut the fuck up with your prejudiced views on self harm. The blade, personally, doesn't control me. I choose to use it when I'm in a situation where I physically can't deal with anything any other way.

Yeah, so what if there's gonna be someone smiling just from thinking about me? If I don't know about that, it doesn't affect me. And if they cared that much, they wouldn't be put off by self harm.

Fuck off with prejudices.

itmahanh

Senior Member & Antiquities Friend
That was just out right rude. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on any subject. I self harm, have for many many years. The scars are there and I dont hide them anymore. I self harm ironically to feel in control. When everything else around me is spinning out of control. It helps to lessen the panic and fear that is swelling inside. Over the years I have learned many coping skills but none seem to work as well as cutting. I figure I was given this body to do the best I can with it. The days I cut, that is the best I can do. It certainly beats some of the other options.

Matt93

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed off, so I've probably taken what you said there to be saying I was out right rude.

I can't stand prejudiced shit like that, especially when on a topic that is so often looked down upon

itmahanh

No I meant the reply and the person that gave it was rude. Although it may be his/or her view, they did not have to be so over righteous and rude.

I went to pick up my son from school one day and one of the other moms saw my scars from cutting. She came over to me and said :could you cover those please, I dont think the little kids need to see that. I already have a hard enough time being there around people to pick my son up, then she throws that at me? I posted about it and someone here suggested I should of replied, can you cover your face, the little ones shouldnt have to see that (lmao). People just dont think before they open their big mouths. cant do anything about those kind of people. Just gotta hope in things like karma. :arms:

Matt93

Oh god, I so hope Karma get's her.

To be fair, I over react really fast, so I'd have gone on a proper rant about self harm to her, and tried to convince them to think, "What about if you were in our shoes?" But, knowing how prejudiced the public are, they wouldn't give a fuck.

I'm 17, and I don't hide any cuts and stuff on my arm, because frankly, I don't care what people think about me. It's just when people open their mouths to speak the prejudices they blatantly think is what pisses me off.

itmahanh

Ditto!! Some people can really spew the shit. And it is those same people that make it so hard for those suffering because they keep feeding the stigma surrounding mental health issues and self harming. Most of them never have so they dont even know what they are talking about. Kind of feel sorry for those people, living such perfect and sheltered lives. Rose colored glasses can get hard on your eyes after a while.

GA_lost

What really bugs me is when people think of self harm as a teenage fad. Most often it is in response to a deep seated hurt such as sexual abuse. Recently I heard Travis Stork on the Doctors TV show saying that teens do it to cope with a disbelieving smirk on his face, and he is an emergency room doctor. When people hurt themselves they can be young or old and they usually have deep seated problems.

Matt93

A smirk on his face? And he's a doctor?

I'm sorry, but doctors are meant to not judge people, and try to help people, without having a biased mind. I've cut since I was about 13, though I did have a period where I didn't for nearly 3 years.

I don't really remember much of my life before I was 12, so I have no idea whether I have deep seated problems or whatever, but I know I do suffer from quite horrendous depression at times, and then quite the opposite. I've been told I'm bipolar, but I can't get an official diagnosis till I'm 20 in this country, which is fucking ridiculous. I mean, I was bullied since I was like 6, and I can remember all that fully, but I never thought it affected me quite so badly, aside from making me very short tempered towards people when they pick on someone else, but I'm straying from the point.

I know the majority of teenagers will have picked up a blade and cut themselves, not all for the fact they have to cope. I do know some who have done it, just because they had friends who did it, which I know those people had severe problems with abuse and so on. It's those kind of people, who did it because other people did it, that give self harmers the prejudiced stereotype we supposedly have to carry around now, and I'm sick of being judged by people, because of my cuts and scars.

I would only ever do it, when I'm suicidal, because it stops me from carrying out suicide, and people who have never done it just don't realise how helpful it is.

My parents know I self harm, and at first they begged me to stop, but I told them about how much it helped me, and now they still do worry about me, but they don't try to beg me to stop.

So yeah. I hate prejudices XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00