Ideas & Opinions Premature deaths

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
Hopefully somebody can provide an explanatory answer for this. It's about Premature deaths, those who die not from suicide but instead naturally and at a very young age, many even as babies. All of those young people wanted to stay alive and yet they died. Yet many of us who are past 50 years old are made to stay alive despite our woes. If God or the Universe had meant us to live so long despite our suffering, then why do so many babies have to die? And to make the contradiction even worse, all the churches say that the dead babies go straight to heaven, straight to paradise. It's just like saying that the dead babies are the lucky ones. That's what drives me nuts sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating suicide at all. Because nowadays I want to stay alive. All I want is somebody to provide a halfway decent explanatory answer for this conundrum. Because it drives me nuts.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Premature death in infants anyways means something did not grow properly in vitro means a heart was not formed right or lungs not fully developed or many other reasons. The left because they did not have the means within them to stay alive. They would have suffered more maybe if they were to stay or had to fight hard to continue in living. I don't know anymore about God and the reasons things happen the way they do omg hard when all the trauma happens it seems to the most vulnerable ones it is so hard. i understand

GFS

Are you asking for an answer from a religious point of view? Or are you trying to understand the paradox of the situation from a logic point of view?

Winslow

SF Supporter
Are you asking for an answer from a religious point of view? Or are you trying to understand the paradox of the situation from a logic point of view?
An answer from either point of view.

GFS

I'm not a religious person, so I can't answer for that. But from a logic point of view you can see it like this. Probably you have heard of Maslow Pyramid. It's the "hierarchy of needs".
View attachment 22485

Now, imagine that below the basic level of that pyramid (Physiological needs) there is another sub-level that's called "Biological means a human body needs to survive".

People who dies by natural causes, regardless their age, dies because they lack the biological means to live.
And then there is people who want to die. Well, that's bullshit actually. Nobody wants to die. We all want to be happy and live for eternity. But when for a reason or another (or many reasons) we're having problems at fulfilling some of those needs somewhere up that Pyramid we're not happy with our lives so we consider ending it.

So some people lack biological means to survive.
Some people lack basic needs.
Some people lack psychological needs.
Some people lack self-fulfillment needs.

Winslow

SF Supporter
I'm not a religious person, so I can't answer for that. But from a logic point of view you can see it like this. Probably you have heard of Maslow Pyramid. It's the "hierarchy of needs".
View attachment 22485

Now, imagine that below the basic level of that pyramid (Physiological needs) there is another sub-level that's called "Biological means a human body needs to survive".

People who dies by natural causes, regardless their age, dies because they lack the biological means to live.
And then there is people who want to die. Well, that's bullshit actually. Nobody wants to die. We all want to be happy and live for eternity. But when for a reason or another (or many reasons) we're having problems at fulfilling some of those needs somewhere up that Pyramid we're not happy with our lives so we consider ending it.

So some people lack biological means to survive.
Some people lack basic needs.
Some people lack psychological needs.
Some people lack self-fulfillment needs.
Your answer still does not answer the question about those newborn babies who die at birth and go straight to heaven. Since those babies don't suffer at all in this life, it's as though the Christians are saying that the lucky ones are those who die at birth. But since that would encourage suicide, the only explanation that makes sense is Reincarnation. That is, those who die at birth will make up for it in the next life and have to deal with problems just as we do in this life.
So with Reincarnation, Buddhism solves a conundrum at which Christianity fails. In other words, if you take those babies who die at birth and go to heaven into account, then Christianity seems to encourage suicide whereas Buddhism prevents it.

Winslow

SF Supporter
Looking at my previous post I hope nobody misinterprets that I am attacking Christianity. Instead of attacking, my point is that every religion has some kind of flaw. And that's exactly why we need many different religions. Because each of the many religions is a piece of a jigsaw puzzle which explains and gives meaning to life itself.

It's for that reason that I practice both Christianity and Buddhism. Each religion compensates for the flaws in the other one. In my case, Christianity helps with severe medical problems for which Christian prayers have cured my diseases. But at the same time Christianity does not give me peace of mind. So to get that peace of mind I have to turn to Buddhism with its meditation practice.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00