preoccupying yourself

oxygenidia

So, any ideas on how to preoccupy myself in order to basicly keep living? I seem to have landed myself in a situation where I have no friends, zero. I used to enjoy drinking quite a bit, but don't do that anymore since it cost even worse problems for me. Even a silly thing like drinking was something that made me a little happy for the time that I was doing it.
I'm gonna start an education this fall, so that will be something to do, but I'm getting tired of the whole concept of having something to do for the sake of doing it. What's the point if by the end of the day it's just me?
When I was younger I could tell myself that things would change as I got older, but I have now realized that things just don't change. I will always feel this way.

Life is so stupid. I feel like since I was 9 years old I have been pretty much suffering through, thinking things will get better, but they haven't. It's starting to feel stupid to hold on to that hope that maybe one day I will feel differently, because what has been happening up until now in my life has done little to help me keep that hope.

I don't know if I can take 10 more years of this, or 50 or whatever it might be. Is there a reason? Is there an answer to it? I don't believe in a god or anything, allthough I don't know if I would call myself an atheist, so I don't believe in that type of reason for life.

When I ask myself the question, "what is the point of my life?", all I can think is; "Life is stupid, existence is meaningless". Well, MY existence is anyway.

Mr Stewart

Try to find something small. A trivial something that you would be disappointed to miss out on. Some book you want to read first or some movie to see, a place you'd like to visit or (small) thing you'd like to do. Nothing big. Nothing too long term. Nothing that carries with it an inherent level of anxiety to achieve.

It's not much, I know. I just try to get through today and tomorrow. That's all I can do.

Craig

Banned Member
I feel like you need to find what it is that you want in life. More than that what it is that you can ejoy doing. Finding some kind of hobby to envlope yourself in. If you need ideas I can spitball all day but I doubt you will find anything from me that google cant tell you.

oxygenidia

I feel like you need to find what it is that you want in life. More than that what it is that you can ejoy doing. Finding some kind of hobby to envlope yourself in. If you need ideas I can spitball all day but I doubt you will find anything from me that google cant tell you.
I do have hobbies and interests. I think it's more the social part that I miss. I can read a book, paint, work out, do whatever, but by the end of the day I miss having social interaction and I think I'm starting to go a bit insane actually. As much as I don't like most people I'm not sure that I was cut out to be quite this isolated...

And well, not just social interaction, but I suppose a connection with people, you know?
A sense of purpose...

I'm not really expecting anyone else to give me an answer on what my "purpose" in life should be, but thatnks for taking the time to read=)

Craig

Banned Member
What ever it is I hope that you find it.
Maybe you should pick up more social hobbies that require some sort of teamwork. Like sports or rock climbing or something.
If you have trouble connecting with people this place can definatly help you. Although its just not the same as in real life..

oxygenidia

What ever it is I hope that you find it.

If you have trouble connecting with people this place can definatly help you. Although its just not the same as in real life..
Yeah, I most defenitely have trouble connecting with people. Not sure if it's people or if it's me ...
I'll stick around here for a bit.

Not easy is it. I've been feeling like this today (and most weekends) and just been for a walk around a nearby park. It took my mind off me. I'm thinking of joining a walking group for people my age (I'm 28). I'm somewhat worried that they'll be clique-y and I won't fit in. Socially, I'm a slow starter and not the life and soul of the party:sparkle: although I'm not miserable or boring as such. I hope.

So, getting out of the house and going somewhere scenic didn't solve all my problems but it did help.

oxygenidia

No, it's not easy... I've been pretty good at getting out and occypying myself..., it's just the social bit that's missing. Maybe the sport idea wasn't such a bad idea. The more I think about it, the more I think that I should take up some sort of acticity that really gets my blood pumping and really gets my adrenaline rushing.... But I allready work out and that doesn't really do it for me in terms of getting the rush and all that. Hmm..., will have to think more about this...

Last edited by a moderator:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00