Presentation Crisis

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PandorasToybox, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Hi everyone :smile:

Recently I've had a lot of trouble with my illness & attending college. Long story short I had to stop attending because I was being told by other students that I should have killed myself by now & so on.
    Just a few days ago, I was encouraged by a professor to continue on with his class & I did. He has been a great supporter for me & I thought everything would be great.
    However, I went in a group with two girls who are amazing, but one of them happened to be vice-president of the local student union & as well meaning as she is, she tends to act before she speaks. I say this because I opened up to her one night when I was upset & would regret it later.
    We had to do a presentation on some sort of organization, business plan or anything in relation to organizations & present it to the class. We had an issue with our first report & last minute, the girl who is the vice-president, decided to change the topic, discuss it with the teacher & I had no clue what it was till about 45 min before our presentation.
    It turned out that she decided to do it on discremination against mentally ill people in the college, which may have been ok if a) the presentation was centered around my own issues with being bullied for mental illness, b) the facts & statistics she decided to use weren't the stereotypical ones found from one source & c) she didn't make me get up infront of everyone without first asking me, & have me talk about what mental illness is.
    It was the nature of the presentation & the fact I wasn't in my most stable of moments that caused me to be so offended over the project. As well now, the prevention program I had started building with the local college & university, has been taking over by the vice president girl & the rest of the student union, despite the fact they are more school spirit & have next to no REAL knowledge about mental illness & the stigma.
    The prevention program is now more like a business deal than anything..
    But during the presentation I gave the real facts & my own experiences, as well I took into account the experiences members on SF have had. But they think that I was just acting out of anger & now I need to find sources.
    I don't want to hassle people on here to give examples or share their experiences, but I need something to show that despite the facts & crap given by doctors & professionals, we do still have trouble finding help, there is no quick cure, & etc.
    Any ideas?
    I'm at a loss & I don't want that other girl (vice-prez) to take my project from me just because she is great at doing a presentation...

ps. I really raised hell during the presentation but I wasn't about to let them think that we dont have stuggles. That there is NO magic pill & a psychologist doesn't have a wand.

2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

What she did is wrong. What does the professor say about this?

If the college is not convinced it's hard to get help, have a student go with you to everywhere you can think of and apply for help. The student can do the documenting and turn in a report.

What do you think?

:hug:

3. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

What did she write in the presentation :S

4. TaraB3ar

TaraB3ar Well-Known Member

Some people think depression just means the person is sad about something and they need to get over it. But i learned in my class that babies as young as 4 months old can be diagnosed with depression. I think that proves its not just something trivial like 'oh my boyfriend broke up with me.' It really is a mental illness. Good luck to you on your project, you deserve it so much more that ms.prez :/

5. jacknife

jacknife Guest

While I sympathize with your situation.. how are you in college and unable to find sources? You have an internet connection, and there is no shortage of information available online. If you feel passionate about this situation, focus that energy on your research effort.

6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I agree with Chargette. The vice president girl sounds like she doesn't know what she's doing. Not everyone in your college who accesses MH services will be discriminated, and the 'help' for people being discriminated in the MH service is few and far between, and can be as paternalistic as the care provided by the psychiatrists. It can take years for someone to actually think, ok, enough is enough.

But as an idea, you could look up MH charities, MH advocacy and contact them and see if anyone would be up to take part in your research project. Would that do? As this is about people in your college?Then again, think about it more. Do you want to be involved in a project that is being run by people who might exploit the research you provide or as you say, has turned it some kinda business deal? How has this happened btw? Are they getting sponsored, and by who? Do you agree with it, will it effect how the research be handled?

I personally wouldn't use 'sources' that you get from MH forums when people are in various vulnerable states, without the individual's explicit permission and written consent. If you don't, then what you're doing is similar to the girl coercing you to talk in front of the class, and using your personal history, opportunistically. She saw you were angry, upset and hurt and thought, great emotive topic! Probably?..

And, generally when it comes to results- it will depend on the person. Some people are passive, and like handing things over to psychs/doctors and will say their treatment worked for them. Or they are numb by treatment, unwell so won't be able to talk about the type of practice that goes on in , lets say inpatient wards at night. Some people want to have an active role in their treatment, think freely, and find doors shut in their face when they are in crisis, and find themselves in situations of coercion when they are vulnerable, know the system inside out and know how fucking shit it is. They will probably find themselves neglected and having a lot of personal boundaries crossed which will put their life at risk. I don't think, having a student who isn't suffering MH problems, trying to apply for help will provide the results that's similar to your personal experience..unless it's the "6 month waiting list for psychological help" thing..

What is the prevention programme you're doing?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  7. PandorasToybox

First off, I wasn't using specific examples from people here. I wasnt exploiting anyone!
    What I did was explain that lots of people (because I hear lots of people on this site say this...) struggle to find help. That it isn't easy to find help. I just relayed the truth about the matters. I would NEVER exploit anyone or use specific stories. I RELATE to people on this site, because I am mentally ill & have had similar experiences.
    Our city has no funding or charities for mental illness which is why suicide is not uncommon or shocking in our city. It's almost a fact of life which is horrible.
    I myself struggled & still do struggle severly. I spend my holidays, researching to find something to make myself feel better. When I got up I wasn't relaying other members experiences, I was stating the facts.

8. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's basically life, everywhere you turn everything sucks, it's like a struggle, nothing to look forward to, life sucks, no happy moments.

I also find that the way people look at depressive people is somewhat patronizing, people will tell depressive persons to smile or be happy but they are unaware of what their life is actually like. Just because they're happy they expect everybody else to be happy, but that just isn't the case. Maybe it's just the people I've met but I find this very much to be the case.

9. PandorasToybox

no TWF, you hit it bang on. I have those people around me all the time. At the same time I have had long enough convos (& I mean looooooong) with some people I'm closer to, that they can look back & remember a time they got trapped in the grips of depression & how hard it was to even crack a fake smile, muchless a real one.

I'm trying to set up a program, to yes, bring some awareness, but the bigger concern is having an action plan for when people coming into the college counselors with mental illness struggles. At this time our college can only make referals, but can't do any "real" counseling, aside from providing a shoulder to cry on. They aren't even really allowed to discuss MH or past life events that led to it. They cant "go down that path".

Our local university has psychologists/psychiatrists on site, but not our college, so we are trying to do something to change that.

10. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Definitely, a shoulder to cry on just isn't good enough for some, including me. If I need a shoulder to cry on I'd come on SF where I'm guaranteed to be understood whatever vile stuff I might say, I don't trust counsellors because they're merely there to listen rather than take action which to me, can be rather awkward... I prefer the latter.

11. PandorasToybox

All talk & no action. Perfect way to describe counselors. If you even mention the word suicide with at our college, you get sent to the ER. And even then, you wait 8 hours sitting in a empty white room with no lights surrounded by security cameras, 2 police officers and then you talk to a MH nurse, get sent home, & that's it. No follow ups. No beds available, as our city shut down the psychiatrict hospital, got rid of the ER crisis line & the "regular" hospital is not equipped to hand MH cases.
    They are fighting for a 24/7 ER for MH & finding more beds, but I doubt it'll happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.