Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Jonsey, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Jonsey

Jonsey Well-Known Member

Why do we pretend we are okay when we're falling apart inside?
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

To please others. To not make others worry about me. To try and remain calm so I won't be haunted by those dark thoughts. Those are my reasons anyway.
  3. kristellechou

kristellechou Well-Known Member

To quote what some of my friends have been telling me these past few months, 'because we need to fake it until we make it'. No, these people know nothing about crippling depression.
  4. Petal

I think fake it 'til you make it can be applied to some situations but this is not one of them. They obviously know nothing about depression, how you cannot just fake 'it til you make it. You need help and treatment to get well again. Your friends most likely do not understand you at all and that is why they play it down.

I hope you get help for yourself. You deserve to :hug:
  5. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I often tell strangers that I'm doing fine when I'm really not. Someone asked me last Christmas if I had a nice Christmas and I told them yes even though I was miserable. I just figure that there's no need especially for strangers to know how I'm really feeling. I do this in chat a lot too. I say that I'm ok, even though I'm dying inside. I guess that I figure that at times, there's no need to bother other people with my problems.
  6. kristellechou

kristellechou Well-Known Member

Yeah, but don't do that with us, ok? We'd really like to know and will listen.
  7. Jonsey

Jonsey Well-Known Member

I'm so use to putting others first and burying my pain. The last month or so has been really bad for me. I guess it's easier to smile than to talk.
  8. Petal

Hi hun, sorry you are having such a tough time right now. It might be easier to smile than to talk but that makes the problem worse. Maybe confide in someone very trustworthy? hugs :hug:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  9. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

you don't have to pretend, heather. please talk to me.
  10. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Because people burden us, our organic nature burdens us, with their expectations that don't include:

- fall apart.

Unless out of envy when we're actually and finally doing well, or when it's time to die.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015