Preventing SF burnout...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Bambi, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

any suggestions? I feel like there is no time for me and that I spend every hour not working trying to help and it is taking its toll....any suggestions how to prevent burnout around here? I love everyone and just want to be there but I finding my issues are being sweep aside and I need to do something before I leave for a while and before my life falls apart and I am posting in crisis instead of here..

Do you do set hours? time limits? limit time on the phone, time in IM, time in PMs?

Thanks in advance, I am stuggling here and want to stay and give as much support as I can, I really do

Love Bambi
  2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

sounds like you need to be putting you first.

try time limits if you think it will help.

taking a break from the site might also work. i know you want to help here but how will you do that if you end up breaking down or worse?

you first here second.
  3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Make a promise to yourself to always play a Backstreet boys song when online. Before long it will develop a subliminal message to your brain and you will feel a nauseating feeling everytime you log in... Ha! who needs Dr Phil and Oprah when u got boo! And finding a new hobby is nice too! I'm inviting you to my wednesday bingo night. Free donuts and not so fresh coffee is provided!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  4. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

You scared me. I only saw "backstreet boys". I almost died inside.

:smile: it's nice to help and it's nice to talk to people here on the same general topics about what makes us feel like shit. But I find, that distracts me from my own feelings and allowing me to actually feel them, and deal with them as I feel them. Like riding the waves. Sometimes it doesnt help with a 24/7 safety net.

Maybe do something that will relax you that doesnt involve a computer for a bit. Try finding a new interest can help too
  5. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Seriously? you're freaking me out Boo!!

I would definitely say give yourself time limits. Set a schedule for yourself and stick to it.
  6. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

for the most part i have dedicated times of the day i'm on and this seems to help. this way i can still take care of me and my needs too. worth a shot. please take care
  7. History

History Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to get your priorities right. When you are paid to work, you work. During your off work period, you can post as much as you want. :smug:
  8. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

When you have free time, let yourself just enjoy a walk outside, reacquaint yourself with an enjoyable hobby :guitar: or sit back and enjoy a DVD. Let your mind slow down and enjoy a healthy, non-challenging indulgence without feeling guilty :arms:.
  9. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Just ... no! LOL. The Backstreet Boys? (Oh God, I think I have some of their music on my external hard drive; please tell me I didn't just admit that).

Anyway, to the OP ... sometimes you have to take time away. You have to put you first, because if you do get burnout, you won't be able to help anyone here. So if you need a break, take one. Do something that you enjoy, but that's offline. You can only do so much; you can't be there for everyone all at the same time, or you won't have time to take care of you.
  10. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your input, I appreciate it. Well it turns out the recent upswing in my work was the cause. This is a relief cuz I love this place and love all of you. I have the best job in the world but since work is super busy I need to limit my time on SF which makes me sad but it was nice to realize it was not due to something inherent to SF that was the cause. :stars:

Thanks to all who replied!
  11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey B, Take a break for a week or two.. When you come back set certain times you will be online.. Thats what I had to do because I kept burning out..Just relax and do something for you!!