Prevention Method Advice Please

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by needmymomaround, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needmymomaround

needmymomaround New Member

I posted yesterday regarding my mothers suicide attempt. It completely blindsided us but looking back there were signs. She is currently getting the help she needs but we know in a few days she will be released and we are desperately searching for ways to be able to trust when she walks in another room she will not duplicate her previous efforts. We are going to continue searching for therapists/phycologists, etc but need to do something for our own peace of mind as well. Our family decided (through a lot of reading) that having her make a promise to talk to each of us directly about her feelings of suicide prior to ever attempting again would enable us to get her any help she needed prior to another attempt. She is a very very sentimental woman so we wanted to make this promise with a reminder gift. Something she could wear at all times and when she is feeling down would be able to look at it and be reminded of our love and want for her to voice her thoughts to us. Does this sound like a good idea? We were thinking a charm bracelet with a charm for her husband, each of her sons (I'm one of them), and enable her to speak about her issues with others and add charms as she found additional people she was comfortable reaching out to. We thought this may also give her confidence to speak out about her depression with others that we know are going through tough times and possibly they can help each other through trying times. Maybe even help save a life of another loved one where this attempt could have turned into a blessing.

Does this sound like a good idea? Other suggestions?

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm a sentimental person and I like this idea. I bet your mom does, too. :hug: Thinking out loud here: The charms could represent meaningful things between your mom and each person, so that she remembers how special she is to all of you. (Perhaps one charm could be an ear to represent that you are all ready to listen, hear, and understand?)

Thinking of you and sending good wishes.

3. needmymomaround

needmymomaround New Member

Thanks Acy...great idea with the ear...I'll see what I can find

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.