Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Twocky61, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Here in the uk prisons are very much like hotels. Inmates have in-cell sanitation (as opposed to chamber pots pre '89) television with eleven channels chosen by each establishments governor/warden) kettles and if they reach enhanced status after being good little prisoners for three months without any adjudications (appearences before governor for breaches of prison rules) they are also entitled to Playstations/X-Boxes & DVD players (they even have a DVD library where for 30p per DVD can be borrowed for a week

Enhanced prisoners can also spend up to £50 per week (varies from establishment to establishment) and standard prisoners £15 private cash on top of their wagesthey earn in workshops or if kitchen privately contracted prisons pay £50 per week as opposed to £15 in public sector prisons

Obviously the bribes are necessary to keep good order & discipline giving prisoners targets to work towards

The amount of people in the prison estate (currently in access of 90,000) meansprisoners who would normally be deemed not suitable/too much a security risk are being transferred to category D (open) prisons meaning more prisoners are absconding (from an open prison is absconding from a closed prison is escaping

I have been a prisoner many times & my offences are related to my username on SF - TWOC or UTMV which is Taking Without Owners Consent/Unauthorised Taking Motor Vehicle the US equivalent being GTA (Grand Theft Auto) although in the uk it does not come under the theft act as it is not legally deemed as permanantly depriving the owner as I park it up to br recovered when the fuel is low

So this is why I have so much knowledge of uk prisons as well as Community Payback where a court orders the defendent to undertake anything from 40 to 300 hours of voluntary work at 7 hours (one day) a week or another day too for the higher number of hours

Is prison like this in other countries such as the US?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  2. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

The short answer is no. If you want to gawk at a typical indoor scene, try

:Cry: Hotel California 21st century:

It's cartoonized not hoping to deter copyright enforcement bots, which use metadata that stays with the image after Corel Draw, but because of my frivolous mood. An original source, with text commentaries on State of California sentencing policy, is at

:baby: Forensic Psych news blog:

A newspaper article about recent litigation is at

:topsy_turvy: Los Angeles Times:

The plaintiff's bar at this controversy says:

:nod: Prison Law Office victories:

Meaning that the 3-tier bunks may have been removed recently. However, that officials ruminated about the sardine can long before 3-strikes laws passed is shown by

:distant: 1988 policy manual:

Likely there is a TV fortified behind polycarbonate, fixed to a particular channel, visible from inside the dorm. There is also probably a shower. This is all to keep 'em quiet and not have to let them out too frequently--food enters the communal cell via a slot in the wall. Often, visitation is only by Skype-like setups or closed circuit TV, allowed monthly. You probably don't want to go to prison in the USA.

Quality of institutions varies greatly, and many of them aren't this severe. However, some are even worse--the labor camp still exists in the South. Philosophy centers on maximizing security and minimizing privileges in general. Until the last couple years, cost was no object. Some changes may be in offing as states choke on ballooning corrections budgets.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i found that really interesting about prisons.

i didn't know any of that. i've always been interested in how they work though.

1 question that i've always wondered is

do people have their own individual cells, or if not how many people share a cell?
  4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Due to overcrowding most prisoners share a cell unless they are deemed high risk & not suitable to share a cell - that is in dispersal establishments (prisons that recieve remanded & convicted prisoners from the court). Within a few months prisoners are accessed to see if they are suitable for semi-open (C Category) prisons or open (D Category) prisons (Dispersals are B Category with a dedicated section for A Category) A=Maximum Security, B=Standard Security, C=Medium Security, D=Minimum Security) and thus transferred to make room for further court admissions. In C & D prisons generally prisoners are located in single cells. Some prisoners prefer to share due to loneliness and others like me prefer single. As for D Category Open Prisons such as Ford in Sussex the rules are stricter as you are trusted to stay as you only have to walk out to abscond as there is no standardised 18 foot fence around the prison - often you are sent there on a rail warrant rather than being transported there by contracted transport companies such as GeoAmey. Open prisons are seen as a gateway back into society so you are often placed in outside work; generally voluntary so you learn the work ethic ready for when you are released. It is in nobody's interest to release a long term prisoner from a dispersal os C Category prison

There have been cases where life prisoners have been released on life parole & been unable to cope in civilian life so they breach their parole or reoffend to return to prison where they are happier and feel at hom. One particular case at HMP Preston Lancashire uk (Lets call him Patrick (Not his real name)) was released after 27 years. Crossing the road he was nearly run over as cars did not go that fast in the fifties when he was last out so he breached his license (Failed to turn up for probation interviews) and was thus recalled back to prison where he stayed for the rest of his life

So basically prison for some people can be a home from home whereas if you have family then you want to get out as soon as possible
  5. emily83

i've learnt a lot from reading this thread.

used to believe that prisons were these dark, cut off places, where the inmates didn't get proper treatment, they didn't get things like tvs or anything, they were locked in and not allowed to leave, and only have 1 meal a day (something the warden shoves under the door)

i've learnt a lot- thanks for the lesson!
  6. Not in Singapore. Prisons in Singapore is nothing but a cold cement floor for you to sleep on with four blank walls staring at you and nothing else. If the prison wardens think that the inmate is at high risk of suicide, the inmate will be wearing the leg and hand cuffs to sleep. No DVD or play stations (you wait till your neck grow long).. It's mental torture in Singapore prison. Either you have other inmates to talk to or else you are alone and facing four blank walls and the cold cement floor.

I was sentenced to one day (2hours) inprisonment for my suicide attempts.
  7. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

And they still are. You only really learn about prison when you are put into one to serve time. People on the outside are clueless. They may no longer keep the dungeons of medieval time, at least in western countries. But there's still a lot of things that go on there which you may not know about yet. Like getting butt-fucked. The guards won't help you if you have that problem while you are incarcerated.
  8. emily83

what is that food like in prissons.

is it like i thought above, or something else.
  9. emily83

they put you in prison for being suicidal?
  10. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

In the uk pre 1961 it was a criminal offence to commit suicide but how do you imprison someone who is dead? After 1961 the law was repealed but in other countries such as Singapore the law is still on the statute books
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
  11. emily83

i do understand, i think.

because you're given this life, and when people back in the day was thinking of suicide, the prisons/ what ever, thought it was a selfish act.

i'm sorry, i don't want to start a debate, i'm just saying why i think it was a rule.

a crime to take your own life, in simple terms
  12. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Exactly Emily and what with the Catholic church even deeming abortion as murder they naturally deem suicide murder too albeit self murder and of course masturbation to them is murder as you are wasting semen and therefore potential life

As for abortion I nor my gf Claire would even consider it as we believe life starts at conception. That is our own personal view. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and far be it for Claire & I to say someone is wrong because they choose through circumstances to abort. Cases such as rape being a case in point. Would a woman want to bring into this world a baby concieved by rape and not a loving consensual relationship?
  13. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Though of course the baby is not part of thiss as they are just an innocent baby awaiting birth
  14. emily83

and what about my other question?

about the food.

you never answered that one

and all this talk about your beliefs of when life begins has given me an idea for a thread in the soapbox forum

so thanks
  15. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Prison food is far better than in hospitals & schools which is rather unfair as those in schools & hospitals are not guilty of a criminal offence

Each week you have a menu to fill in for the following week. Each meal (lunch & dinner) you have one of three choices as well as the vegetarian & Halal option

Breakfast in most prisons is issued the evening before which is a bag consisting of 250ml carton of milk, individual packet of cereal, 4teabags, 4 milk sachets and 4 sugar sachets which are made up in the prison workshop by prisoners themselves. Each cell has a kettle or flask if there is a hot water boiler on the landing

As well as meals prisoners can add to their food hoard by spending earnings and private cash in the prison canteen/shop contracted out to private companies such as DHL. You place your order by Sunday teatime and it is delivered on wing by Friday

I was thinking of a similar thread Emily so I would be most interested in yours

16. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

In lifer/long term prisons most wings have a kitchenette where prisoners can pool their canteen food and cook a meal to share together round the pool table rather like Waltons style lol This is a good way for inmates to get on together as prison is rather like a family. Prison is what you make it. Cause trouble and you recieve trouble but co-operate with the regime & there are many benefits such as better paid jobs and outside work once you have passed your ROTL date (Release On Temporary License) which is also your tagging dat which is a quarter through your sentence. At the halfway point of your sentence you are automatically released on license where you have to keep appointments with your probation officer. If you breach your license by not turning up for appointments etc you are recalled to prison for 28 days
  17. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Prisons in Ireland are a joke. Playstations/wii's/ mobile phones (that officers often turn a blind eye to) 5 course meals at christmas, 3 course meals every other day. I was told from someone who had been in a mental ward and in prison, that the mental ward is much worse with less privileges than jail. In jail they also can even have one to one sessions with the samaritans (not always of course) and .. there was something else that slipped my mind there!
  18. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

There are prisoners who ARE Samaritans or at least listeners who are trained as Samaritans to offer peer support to other prisoners - You are on call so you could be woken at 3am to counsel a fellow prisoner
  19. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

This is fact. When I was assisting mentally ill clients some had got out of prison, wound up in the psych unit and then I got to hear them complain how shit it was in comparison to prison. However with Serco set to take over a lot of the prison service, American style will be winging its way here. I don't view that as a good thing either. Humanity is painfully stupid we seem to learn nothing.
  20. emily83

i find it very hard to believe that prison food is better than what you'd get in a hospital

hospital food is, well, can you get any worse?

and prisons have a shop?

hmm... my thoughts on a prison are turning out to be really diffrent.

another question about prisons (sorry but this is all so interesting!)

what is the typical day like of a prisoner. when do you get up, what do you do, etc

once again, my thoughts are probably far from the truth

do you have some sort of a skedule?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.