Private therapist type?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Decode, Nov 6, 2010.

  1. Decode

    Decode Well-Known Member

    Probably a stupid question, but i've decided i'm going to book some time with a therapist. Anyone know what type of therapist i should i look for if i want a diagnosis, i don't know a lot about them and see all different names.
    My doctors nice but i don't to tell her some stuff if she's not going to do anything. I don't really want this on my record if nothing will be done. Am i correct in assuming a private therapist's stuff won't go on my main medical record. If i get diagnosed with something i want to tell my doctor, but if he says i'm just wierd i would rather it not be on my record. Thanks.
  2. plates

    plates Well-Known Member

    From my experience, private therapists aren't bothered about diagnosis, and won't diagnose you- even some (especially good CPNs and doctors) in MH service now aren't too bothered about diagnosis but deal with presentation.

    What would a diagnosis give you? I understand how it can be helpful and be a frame of reference.

    BACP is a website full of accredited therapists. Do make sure your therapist is regulated. There are a lot of therapists exploiting vulnerable people out there (regulated or not).

    Whatever you tell your therapist won't be on your medical records, no. A good therapist really helped me. I wish the same for you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  3. Madam Mim

    Madam Mim Well-Known Member

    plates is right, a therapist probably won't give you a diagnosis I'm afraid. And nothing you say will go on your NHS record, as she's a private therapist.

    Unfortunately, I don't really know anything about private therapists, as I see my counsellor through my university. He's a private counsellor, with his own practice, but obviously my relationship with him is different.

  4. Decode

    Decode Well-Known Member

    I didn't realize they wouldn't tell you what you would be classed under. I find myself thinking about it quite a lot so was thinking if i get diagnosed with something it will put my mind at rest, and i think having someone to talk to would help.
    Cheers for the link plates, i will have a good look through that. Its good that its lets you see some of the therapists in your area, which is handy.
    Thank you both for replying.
  5. sinnssykdom

    sinnssykdom Banned Member

    Only Psychologists and Psychiatrists(and other doctors) can make a diagnosis. I'd honestly say a psychiatrist is your best bet as they can prescribe meds.
  6. Decode

    Decode Well-Known Member

    I didn't know that, i think that may be more what i need. I will do some more research. Thank you.
  7. Pebble

    Pebble Well-Known Member

    sorry decode only just saw your thread , are you still looking for a local private therapist near you? if yes I know a person who is brilliant