1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably can't get the job I thought I could because I hold a degree

Discussion in 'Work and Financial Problems' started by JCC988, Feb 4, 2018.

1. JCC988

JCC988 Well-Known Member

So I was thinking of trying for some jobs at a movie theatre. The application asks for education. In my experience I was never able to get any kind of job after college. I suspect it was exactly because I went to college. And believe me I applied for literally hundreds of positions. Nothing, not even an interview. It's possible that there are bots that filter out college education. I can't lie on the application because they could just do a background check and find out. And nobody is going to hire a liar. I mean would you?

So yeah. I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I sure need a higher income though.

2. JulieDegraw

JulieDegraw Well-Known Member

Is it because they think you're overqualified ?

I never understood why someone with a degree can't get a "simple" job.

Why is that ?

3. JCC988

JCC988 Well-Known Member

Employers of low wage jobs think everyone with a degree is overqualified.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  4. JulieDegraw

But what's it to them if you're genuinely interested in doing a good job ?

Petal likes this.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I have never understood the ''over qualified'' thing, like julie ii wondering if you genuinely want to do the job why would they prevent you?

6. JCC988

JCC988 Well-Known Member

Employers assume a lot of things. Like being overqualified. It doesn't matter how good of a worker you would be. If two people have the same qualifications except that one has a college degree and the other has only a high school education, the employer will pick the high school educated every time simply because they consider the college education an overqualification.

Petal likes this.
  7. JCC988

JCC988 Well-Known Member

Overqualified overrides any kind of enthusiasm for a job.

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Thanks for the explanation. I honestly didn't know because I don't have a degree. I think you should talk to the possible future employer and explain you fears and explain you really would want to do the job offered, if you think you're going to get denied regardless you don't have anything to lose do you? AND they will respect you did not deceive them by hiding your qualifications.

9. JulieDegraw

Aaah i see. That's a general way of thinking and most likely correct in most cases. I think Petals suggestion about talking to the employer, is a great idea to let them know you mean business and not just a fall-back job.

Petal likes this.
  10. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

I would omit your college education if you are going for job that requires no college education. They typically don't do background checks on those types of jobs except to see if you are on time and don't call out necessarily. I omit my MBA when going for a technical job. I don't "hide" - if I am asked I tell 'em - but I don't volunteer it. When out of work I don't mention my bs degree.

11. JmpMster

JmpMster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

No minimum wage job doe s"back ground checks. No job is going to exclude for listing college. But if you are concerned, not listing a degree is not in any way lying. Saying you have a degree if you do not is lying. Not listing "every achievement" is not lying in any way. I assure you, it will not reduce your chances , but saying "attended university of x" without saying "graduated with BS in Biology" is not lying and eliminates any issues of filtering based on"overqualified" that you believe may happen.

I would really look at other reasons if you are trying to figure out why not getting any types of job offers. If you are not getting any types of replies there is a reason, but i honestly think you have chosen the wrong one. If you want to share annonymized copy of resume somebody will be able to tell you what the reason is presuming you fill out the online applications the same way as you did your resume- but the biggies are
    • Listing multiple jobs in short periods or time or that were only held for a few weeks or months
    • Listing jobs you were fired from or terminated from and saying so
    • Long unexplained gaps in emplyment
    • Criminal history
    • Choosing not not answer things that say "optional" (none are really optional- you do not need answer but they choose not hire)
    • Not checking off "teamwork" and those types of things in check the box skills
    • Checking the boxes thta say you will need special accommodations or extra training to do the job
    • Saying you are not available to work days or hours that are typical to the business applying for
    • Declining pre-employment drug screening or physicals listed as optional
    • Listing mental health (or physical health) issues in initial app (is illegal to ask in initial screening anyway so writing none and then clarify before hiring if needed for that job is fine)
    • Identifying transportation to work on regular basis being an issue
    • Listing an expected or current salary not in line with what the job pays
    While "over qualified" is often a reason I hear, having spent many many years interviewing and hiring people for jobs, and in the current economy where everybody knows a lot of degrees have little or no real value in the local job market and if you can hire somebody with a degree for the same price as somebody without no business person would ever choose to hire lower qualified (unless it was also showing a history job hopping/ not staying for long at jobs). Th only time degrees ever become an issue in even the interview process is when people believe and talk up a degree that has no relevance to the position being offered and make it appear they will "look down" on others or act like they are "working below themselves" because that person is inevitably going to be a problem in work place and not work well with others employees if they clearly believe themselves "too good" for the job. A computer does not screen for attitude though, just facts , so the computer screening to get the interview is always based on points. You get x points for each good thing, lose points for each bad (or completely eliminated) and based on the score it tells them if they offer an interview or not. This is done by all bigger companies and every company following a labor department recommendation for hiring process now to avoid lawsuits based on age, sex, racial discrimination.

If there is an additional part of the application- like the 20 -50 question "personality" quizzes that a very large number of companies use, that is where you are losing even being interviewed most often if you do not have any major issues (multiple firings, major criminal record, completely fail to meet minimal education requirements, etc) on your applications/resume. These tests you have to take from the perspective of an employer, NOT "give your best honest answer, there are no wrong answers" as the instructions say.
    Questions like
    If you have a rude customer demand you do something against policy and swear at you, you would-
    A) tell them no,ask them to leave, and if need call police
    B) ignore them and move to next person
    C) swear at them if they swore at me first since they started it
    D) Make an exception to the policy if it was not a big deal
    E) asks them to wait a moment while you ask for the manager to assist them.

There absolutely are right and wrong answers to all of these questions, some thta are permanent disqualifications, some that work off a point system to get a total "score" to determine is you meet the score needed for an interview and a "override score" that checks to see if you answered the same question worded differently several times through out the test the same way or were inconsistent showing intentional gaming of the test or erratic answers. If you do not get interviews ever after doing these sort of tests then get s book that explains them more thoroughly and how to answer the questions if need be , but 99% can read the questions and if you think about what is probably expected and answer the way you believe you should instead of admitting "I am going to tell them to fuck off if they swear at me" . They are really just common sense tests- and also tests of consistency, if you are not willing to adapt enough to do a test in interview the way they want, they know you will never actually work the way they want either. There may be a couple answers that are not "wrong" , but that is where they are looking for a particular "type" and the "right" answer depends on the job level you are applying for. For example applying as "soda and candy sales clerk" E is probably the only answer they want, but applying for concessions manager either A,D, or E may get more points depending on the criteria the employer filled out for testing.

None of the above is meant to imply that I think you are doing any of these things I mentioned wrong or that you are "doing it wrong". This reply is to your post, but also meant for others that read the posts on here and while may not be you but still could benefit from the reply- so please do not think I am saying you must have done something like above. I do not know why you are not getting interviews, but do highly doubt it is because listing your degree- to the point of 99%+ certainty that is not the issue on an ongoing basis. I would look a lot more closely at other possible reasons, which may fall into something described above.

12. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN SF Author

I think that jmpmaster covered everything quite comprehensively but I just wanted to add that I got a minimum wage job and I have a bachelors and a masters level degree. Employers want competent and if they can get “college smart” for minimum wage they are seeing that as a huge bonus. I turned my minimum wage job into a career and have since hired several people with college degrees on minimum wage; I expect them to have the ability to move up the ranks and do the job well. Exactly what companies want.

13. JCC988

JCC988 Well-Known Member

Alright. I'll try based on what jmpmaster said.

Freya likes this.
  14. JulieDegraw

Now I'm getting curious.

Here in my country, it's really good to put your photo on your application and deliver it personally. It's also a good idea to mention hobbies and personal life. Later on, if you haven't heard back, you eihter show up or call the company to make sure they won't forget about you.

Is this method used in The States ?

15. JCC988

JCC988 Well-Known Member

It varies from employer to employer. Most don't care about your personal life unless it impacts the job directly. Some do ask for a photograph but the vast majority don't. Given how paper applications are nearly all dead, it's even rarer to see one asking for a photo ON the application. Nearly all employers demand you do the application over the internet. Most don't even do their own hiring anymore. This has led to as I've come to know it the "job application black hole". However following up is recommended in most cases.

16. JulieDegraw

Thank you very much :)

17. brightshen

brightshen Active Member

The general thinking is that somone who is "over qualified" will leave quickly when they find a "better" job. They don't want to go through the expense of training and starting someone who may leave as soon as they find something better.

18. JulieDegraw

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for your reply :)

19. Walker

Walker Everything Zen Staff Member Safety & Support SF Social Media SF Supporter

Another vote here for leaving your degree off your app. They're not background checking for your degree, they're background checking to make sure you're not a serial killer, man.