Problem/Question.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ~PinkElephants~, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

If this needs to be moved by all means do so. I wasn't sure where to post it.

As some people may know I started dieting about a month ago. I've been doing weight watchers. It's where you start with a certain amount of points and each thing you eat needs to be meticulously measured and/or weighed. That's all fine and well, it gets irritating to say the least but I've stuck to it.

Here's the problem. Everytime I diet I become obsessed with my weight and getting on the scale, etc. It gets really really bad at times. I will weigh myself when I wake up in the morning and go eat breakfast. After I eat breakfast I will automatically weigh myself. I know that you put on pounds after eating obviously because your body hasn't metabolized the food yet. If I see that I put on pounds I force myself to throw up. It's like in my mind I completely focus on the numbers, I focus on the fact that I added weight and it freaks me out.

Yes I am overweight, before people question whether I even need to be on a diet. I am about 100 lbs overweight to be exact so I know that I need to lose weight.

I don't know what to do. Is it bad that I'm doing this? It's not every meal but now it gets to the point if I try to keep the food down I feel nauseous and want to puke.

*sigh* sorry.

2. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I won't say it's bad or anything, but what do you, yourself think about forcing yourself to throw up? Are you doing it because of the numbers on the scale or you feel physically sick or do the numbers on the scale make you feel physically sick?

When you talk about numbers, weighing and things it does sound like it's something you can't control? I don't know. If it's something you feel out of control of, then perhaps it is slightly worrying.

3. ~PinkElephants~

I do it because I look at the numbers and it makes me sick. I am disgusted with how I look as a whole and am trying to lose weight the healthy way. The problem is every time I stare at those numbers and think about what I just ate it makes me feel violently ill. It's funny I think my appearance is the one thing left I'm working on to make myself better. I think once that's done if it gets done I'll be 75% better.

It's about the numbers and wanting them to decrease rapidly instead of slowly like I know it will. It's severly screwed up I know but I just can't figure out how to control or. I look in the mirror and I want to puke. I hate my outer appearance it makes me disgusted to see who I am.

4. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

:hug: It does sound like an eating disorder to me...

Eating disorders have nothing to do with weight. I'm just looking at the way you talk about yourself.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hey are you working on this with a therapist? if not, i'd recommend you talk about it to a professional. i would never say you were bad (it would just give you further ammo to beat yourself up) but it's so unhealthy to purge.

i lost alot of weight about 2 years ago. i took me a little over a year, and i lost 80 pounds. what helped was to only weigh once a week. that's right... once a week, at the gym. i didn't even have a weight scale in the house.

so, for first steps, dump the scale at home

the other thing i'll share is that my weight could fluctuate up to 5 pounds in a day. insane! depended on time of day, how much water i'd drank, muscle gain vs fat... all kinds of things. so if i weighed myself all the time i'd go bonkers.

once a week is enough. don't forget, you are losing weight that 1. took a long time to gain and 2. has been protecting you ... be kind and take it off slowly.

know that you can do it, but you might need a hand. nothing wrong with that.

catherine

6. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I'm not well up on these types of issues but how about putting the scales away and not going near them until, say, the end of each week. Maybe even get rid of the scales all together and get your weight checked every so often by your doctor or by joining one of these weight watcher clubs. If you're not careful this could turn into something a lot more serious, an eating disorder that may be out of your control - control it while you still can Kellz.

7. Patch

Patch Well-Known Member

I definetly agree with Dazzle and Resistance, throw out your scale, (unless you know you have the will power to only check it once a week.)

8. ~PinkElephants~

It's not a matter of will power. It's a matter of not caring and i care way too much about what I look like and what I could look like. It's really screwy. I wish i could explain it better, but I don't have the words really.

The matter of the scale is I'd have to tell my dad to hide it on me. It belongs to him not me, he paid 35 bucks for it and won't be wanting to just toss it. I'd have to have him lock if away til that one day a week but I think even then I'd go buy another one b/c I'd be paranoid about checking it.

Who knows...will see tonight how things go.

9. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Over the past two years, I have lost over 120 pounds very easily...I eat no portion other than veggies, larger than a handful...about 1-1.5 ounces...I eat 4-5 meals a day, and always stop eating when I am full...when I do not know what I want to eat, I drink water...each day I drink 8-10 glasses of water...I allow myself anything I want, but in very small portions..this way I do not have to 'diet' which has never worked for me (or my eating disorder)...i went from a size 22 or so to a 12 (what counts most is that I feel like I am in a body which fits me better) without restricting any particular food (I love chips and chocolate), and I never 'crave' anything, as I eat everything...and yes, excercise is clearly one of the answers...do what you can and increase it as soon as you can...hope this was helpful, all the best, J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.