Problems (possible trigger)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLullaby

I said I was out, but I need advice right now.
I'm a little confused. For some reason I can see people's insides. Their inner skin layers...their flesh, vessels, all that stuff.
Whenever I look at people, I can see all of it.

I actually told my therapist. Fucking dumb move. Now she's making me tell my parents TONIGHT.

How do I go about this? Any suggestions? Parents prepare themselves for a lot of shit, but I don't think this is one of them.

Scum

Maybe you could write it all down, write them a letter and hand it over. That way you could plan what you want to say, and they will have the chance to read it over and over again, and will be able to read it at a later date when they have got over the initial reaction.

It won't be easy, but you are incredibly brave for telling your therapist, and it's good you are telling your parents.

After you have done it, either tomorrow or soon, give yourself some sort of positive treat for your bravery.

Good luck with it.

LaLaLullaby

I could try that...
But there is one question I have on that letter.

I heard with break ups, you should never break the news with a letter, because it gives the person something solid to obsess about. Do you still think it may work with my parents though?

Scum

It's not that they will obsess over it, you are not leaving their lives, you are trying to find a way to inform them.

Remember that they may give an initial reaction that is not true to how they really feel, and the letter allows them to re-read it later when they have calmed down.

Also, with a letter they won't forget what you have said, in the heat of the moment they might get confused or hear things slightly differently from what you have said. A letter means that the meaning can not get confused or lost.

Scum

I'm not sure.

I guess be honest, don't beat around the bush. State the facts to start with, maybe and then possibly explain opinions later. Explain why you are doing it, what you see, how you feel.

You could also maybe ask them for a response, possibly also by letter, or by them approaching you, whichever you feel comfortable with. In the letter maybe ask them questions that you want to know, ie how they feel, what they think of it, etc.

If you want to write the letter, I am more than happy to read it over if you want to PM me, and can let you know how it sounds. But I totally understand if you don't take me up on that offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00