problems with mom's...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by wonderer, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

So, I've got PTSD and being at my mother's gives me really bad flashbacks. I got through today by burying myself in computer games all day, but its worse the longer I'm here. I don't know if I'll be ok tomorrow. And I've got a whole week here... Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Going out only minimally helps, since I've got to come back here. And I don't think I'll ever hear the end of it if I leave before xmas. But I don't know if I can make it until then. Its taking all my self control not to cut or like punch a wall or metal door or something, and its only my first full day here...
    I really need some help guys...
    Rae

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi and I know howyou feel...I also suffer from PTSD and know how horrible the flashbacks are...have you sought treatment for this? I find they are lessening and becoming more bareable with therapy and medication...hope you find a professional to talk to...J

3. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Hi Rae. I am of very poor help in this case and admit that what I am about to sugges will probably be off track, but I want to give it a try nonetheless... never know right?

Well, if being 'in' that house is just too much for you, either you face the issue with who is behind it, in this case your mother by talking to her and
    bringing her to understand how you feel and agree that you go 'home' or
    hang out with friends so to go thre as less as possible..... yet will become
    soon suspicious so the issue will eventually be rised so just postponing talking about it.

I know that each are not the best and do hope that others will come up with better advice, but sooner or later you will have indeed to face it and let her know how you feel uncomfortable while there or will suffer at each of your visit to your mother.

If talking becomes too difficult, you can use the writing form and leave the lettr where to be found by her and wait on her to approach you aobut it.

Has it been of any help? Hope so.

Best of luck and stay safe.

4. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

She already knows, but she doesn't really understand the whole experience of flashbacks, so she just wants me to deal with it.
    I'm in counselling for the PTSD, but nothing is helping and I'm not gonna see my counselor until the end of Jan. because she's at school :/
    In all honesty, though, it makes no difference whether or not I go, nothing I have done there has gotten me anywhere.
    I'm open to any other suggestions anyone has.

5. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

I don't have PTSD, but I have very negative memories associated with certain places and people, and if I have to go to those places or talk to those people, I can quickly go into an intense and apathetic despair.

Things I do that sometimes help:

Going for a walk
    Sitting outside
    Reading an interesting book
    Watching a good movie
    Writing about what's bothering me
    Listening to angry or relaxing music, depending on what I feel like
    Going on ebay and trying to find a good deal
    Re-watching clips on youtube that I like
    Singing
    Looking at art

In other words, I do things I know I like to do.

Even if I'm unable to enjoy what I usually enjoy doing (sorry, too many Zoloft commercials :smile:), it helps to just see and do familiar things, if nothing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.