Processing...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Lazarus70, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Lazarus70

Lazarus70 Active Member

My cousin attempted suicide yesterday. She's 21 and lives in Canada. I live in California. This is her second attempt in a year. I wish I could be there for her. Part of me wants to fly her down here to live with me. She won't see a therapist. She self-medicates with alcohol/drugs rather than get professional help. Her brother committed suicide three years ago and the trauma is still there with her even though she's a spirited young woman who is resilient. But she gets tired of putting up a front.

I'm upset. I've been struggling with my own challenges and keep choosing life. She's in the hospital and is stable, however, she might have liver damage. I want to comfort her mother who has bravely faced the trauma of her son choosing death over life. I don't know what to say or what I can do to console her and her daughter.

Thank you so much...this forum has helped keep me alive.

2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hey Lazarus, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your cousin and the suicide attempt of your other cousin. It's a difficult thing to deal with and their mother must be suffering terribly. I believe all you can do is be there for your aunt and listen to her. Until your cousin seeks help there's really not a lot you can do. I hope she decides to choose life and gets some assistance. Take care my friend
    Brian

3. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Hugs. What about telling her about this forum? Maybe tell her mother you are willing to listen to her. Take care of yourself too.

4. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for all of this going on. That's a lot to process. I think suggesting this forum is a good idea. I know you are struggling with your own demons, have you and your cousin ever talked about suicide/depression? Maybe you could lean on each other for support, like how SF works. Best of luck and I hope your cousin is okay and continues to fight.

5. Dikta

Dikta Autistic.

So sorry to hear about that.
    I sadly don't know what to say.
    Maybe try and talk with her when she gets to, about moving in with you, if it is an option?
    And suggesting this forum, although keeping your own name anonymous maybe.
    But just try and tell her you found it, if she doesn't know you use it.