Profile Post Delays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like posting happy birthday messages on the profiles of folks on the "today's birthdays" list, but I get slowed down by the automatic delays. Is there anything that can be done about that?

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Good grief! I know. I post the welcomes and it's the same way. I assume the delays are to prevent people from spamming the boards with junkjunkjunkjunk. I can't imagine there's a way tick people individually with lower thresholds or I'd have hit up about this already. That would be amazing. I post, change the message a little and still have to wait about 10 seconds per message.

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
The "flood check" is set at 30 seconds minimum time between posts. This is done so that automated systems that could post literally 100 messages a minute cannot spam the entire forum and so that it cannot be easily manipulated into a denial of service hack by running 2 or 3 computers to flood the site and slow it to the point of not usable with minimal effort by anybody that wanted to. For these safety precautions we will not change the standard setting.

Last edited:

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
And good on you for sticking to your rules and safety precautions. This forum is too important to too many people for it to be stopped by ignorant time wasters!!

I wouldn't have the first clue how to run a community like this; you guys are amazing at what you do. I utterly applaud your dedication.

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
It sounds like keeping the times delays may be the best answer, at least for the time being.

I don't think it hurts to ask about it though :)
Sorry may71, I hope you don't think I was having a go at yours or anyone else's question; I genuinely was interested in what you had to say. I don't understand a lot about forums anyway, so I'm certainly not one to judge. I just can't help praising this site and all who run and frequent it. It's amazing and much needed the world over. I'm afraid it's one of my many issues in that I'm overly opionated. I apologise sincerely if I've caused any offence.
Kindest regards and much love,

Crazy Crown Wearing Hedgehog. ;)

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
Or site can use Google's free captcha service? https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/
Site uses captcha- we choose not to on every post because of the extra resources and delays if every post has to go through automated approval. It works fine for comments on news stories where each person posts a single comment and goes on- not so well for places where multiple people are making multiple posts per day- is just too resource intensive and causes unneeded lag - and delays every post by 5 seconds as opposed to simply making it impossible for automated posts by putting a reasonable one post every thirty seconds which only comes into effect on very short repeated messages or copy paste messages. Extra time in posting is far more by delaying and adding a step to every single post. Course with that- the 30 seconds would rarely be an issue simply by adding the extra steps to posting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00