Prognosis - slow decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
In December of 2015 I saw a doctor for the first time in a decade. I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, type 2 diabetes, hypogonadism, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, peripheral neuropathy and a host of symptom related disorders stemming from these. I am told by MD/councelors that I can look forward to progressive decline in blood sugar control and imminent need for insulin therapy. In the next five years I am told to expect partial vision loss, possible need for dialysis(certain reduced kidney function),70% likelihood of a Cardiovascular event. All this if I with continue the diet and lifestyle changes implemented in the last seven months and am compliant with the prescription medication regimen(7 meds a day). I no longer enjoy eating. I am no longer sexually active in any way. I need naps and am continually feeling fatigue. Because my work requires physical minimums I am excluded from my life employment. Most importantly I see friends and family avert their eyes. I have become that health obsessed, morose, bitter old man that is cloud in everyones life. In short. Life sucks- it will only get worse, optimistically it will get worse slowly. People in my life kindly tolerate me but it is obvious my absence would be a relief. I have made a plan to exit early. I don't know what I am looking for here, I guess it is hard to hold all of this stuff completely inside.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Wow, that is one rough diagnosis. For what its worth, I am 64 and in that long slow slide. It seems like everyday something new hurts. I often wonder why older people rejoice at still being 'above ground'. A cutesy way of saying alive. I have also become health obsessed and fret over each new ache and pain. Getting old is a major downer. But then I have some 93 year old friends, in really poor health, who cherish almost every moment. I won't say I understand that. I only say that some people seem to find a way to deal with poor health and keep finding reasons to stay around. I hope you can find such a way. Are you really sure friends and family are only tolerating you? It can be easy to believe that even when its not true. Some people do have a difficult time dealing with things when a family member is ill. Its not that they want them to die, its just that they have no idea how to cope with their illness. Unfortunately, we do live in a society that receives no real preparation on dealing with illness. Not their own, or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00