Programming Languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

moxman

The "Perfect Life" YouTube channel is neat
SF Supporter
I am going to join Code Academy and learn a new computer programming language. Does anyone out there have any advice for which language to learn?

thanks

moxman

The "Perfect Life" YouTube channel is neat
SF Supporter
I have programmed in college, COBOL , , Visual Basic , C++, Basic, Java.

I would love to turn it into a career with my health permitting.

I just feel like I need to focus my life and energies around something positive like programming versus spending all days depressed and isolated. This will be another distraction for me.

Thanks RCG.

Null

I think phulcrum is right. It depends what you want to do exactly. If your looking for General Purpose you can always try C#.

pbobble

I recommend learning Javascript, if you don't know it. It's very useful, especially for jobs, as there is a lot of work using JS. It's fairly easy to learn too, although there's a lot of frameworks and tools you sometimes need.

It's not a perfect language, but you can pick it up quick and do a lot with it. FreeCodeCamp has a very extensive course which you could have a look at.

Java and C# are ok for some jobs, there is a a lot of work, but it's often the more established corporate type jobs. They are both good languages though. There's more jobs in things like startups using JS. Python is a good language, easy to learn, though there's not a huge amount of work for Python programmers in my area. Lots of work for PHP, JS and C# by me. It does seem to vary by the region though, what is popular.

I'd avoid the niche or domain specific languages unless you want to do a specific project in that area. They aren't very useful for finding jobs or general programming as they lack the libraries and tutorials the major languages have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00