Project Out

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by TJ, Jan 17, 2012.

1. TJ

TJ Staff Alumni

want to tell someone or group of people about who you are attracted to ( referring to homosexuality and the like ) Project Out are forming a book that is anonymous where you can write a letter send it to them and they may put it in there book.
    rules are pretty simple : NO NAME is to be used at all but you can reveal your sex , your sexual identity age and gender .

this is a way of getting some ideas of how to come out to your friends and family and maybe once you've done this you may find you can use the letter to help you in your mission of coming out

letters are to be sent to

Project Out
    PO BOX 10 Frederick
    MD 21705
    USA

2. dice

dice Well-Known Member

I think this is a good project but you should probably ask in other places than just here. Suicide forum may attract some very dark stories that might discourage people from coming out. I like the idea and I'd like to submit my story but I'm not really completely out yet. If anything I could use these stories to help me get to where I need to be.

3. TJ

TJ Staff Alumni

im not running it im just putting it out there for ppl on this forum who would like to contribute or whatever , and also so that people know there's something like this happening that may help them :)

4. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I've always wondered, why is it important for some people to come out to their family and friends? i'm bisexual, yet i have no urge to tell my family or friends as i don't see what difference it would make, for me the only people who need to know about my sexuality is the people i want to form a relationship with.

5. dice

dice Well-Known Member

Well I'm also bi and can't speak for everyone but I can speak to my own experiences. I don't like being something I'm not around people and I really have been doing that my entire life. On the other side if you actually are dating someone of the same gender do you really want to have to keep that a secret? If you are fine not having anyone know then carry on but some of us don't like to live with this secret.

6. BrinkOfExistence

how are you being something your not if you don't tell people about your sexuality? does this mean you would act differently if you came out? if i came out to my family i'd feel and act the exact same way as i did before telling them. What i mean is why would your family need to know what your sexuality is what could they possibly do with that information. Also i wouldn't keep a gay relationship a secret, if my mum asked me right now if i was attracted to men i'd tell her the truth without hesitation. I dunno maybe the fact that i know my mum would be fine knowing i'm bi means there's no pressure to hide in case she would be ashamed assuming that's why people hide their sexuality.

7. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I think I might write a letter to them tonight after I'm done working on my english homework I've been procrastinating on.

8. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Perhaps the reason that the importance (and difficulty) of coming out isn't apparent to you is that you have family and friends who are open-minded and queer-friendly, and wouldn't think any less of you if you showed up with a same-sex partner one day. I'm glad you hit the tolerance jackpot, but not everyone is so lucky.

Coming out doesn't mean going around obnoxiously telling everybody about your sex life, even if they didn't ask; it's about not having to live in secrecy, carefully hiding a large part of your life and identity from the people you love, having every conversation with them filled with misplaced shame and fear that they'll find out and disown you or worse. You understand that, right? For many many MANY people it's not nearly as simple as "oh, I'll just live my life, and if anyone asks who I'm sleeping with I'll tell them the truth, and if they find out on their own, well, I'm sure it'll work out."

9. BrinkOfExistence

Happy you got that off you chest? I asked a question, no need to be a sarcastic dick about it.

10. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I simply answered your question to the best of my ability. Sorry you didn't like my tone.