proposal for a new forum

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Alexpt2, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

In my short time here at SF I have encountered many threads in which 2 or more members have gotten upset with one another and started a back and forth sparing match spaning numerous posts. I for one, find these threads to be quite amusing and entertaining reads and am always disappointed when they inevitablely get locked or just deleted outright.
    I propose that a new forum be added where members who have a beef with one another and wish to make there feelings public have a special forum in which to do so. I mean hey, its allready being done anyways, so why not isolate it to 1 forum so as not to disrupt the continuity of threads. It could be like a sub forum of the soap box. Possible titles for this new forum may include: Flame Wars , The Jerry Springer Forum or maybe just something nice and blunt like F*** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Rockster

Rockster Guest

There are both good and bad points to this idea in my opinion.

Good Points:

• Stops threads being turned into flaming
    • Keeps all of the aggrovation into one forum
    • Could be used as a better venting area

Bad Points:

• Can too easily get out of hand
    • Can cause members to be hurt easier, possibly pushing them "over the edge"
    • Hassle for staff to keep control of the threads in this ranting board

Over all i think it is a fairly good idea but in the end we have to accept the fact that some members that get ranted about could take it too hard adn end up leaving SF as a whole or worse actions.
  3. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Yes, you can have my thought... this is a ridiculous idea. This is a support forum for vulnerable, suicidal and depressed people. How on earth does this help!? I'm sure you mean this as a joke but it's really not funny.
  4. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

My thoughts: No. Not happening at all.

As Ignored has already said - this forum is for vulnerable people - the suicidal and depressed. Threads do get out of hand on here at times, but that's life. If we did create this section, we'd almost be condoning folks having a slanging match at each other, which is both tiring and damaging to the emotional health of all involved, and does nothing to promote a good atmosphere on the forum itself.

If folks want to have a good old rant at each other, if you must - use MSN. Don't drag it onto the forum. On the forum, the ignore function is there for a reason - it wouldn't be there if we didn't want you to actively use it when the need arises.
  5. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

Though I find this idea quite amusing, I think Rockster and Ignored have a rather good point. It would not show much support towards members to have a forum like that, and I doubt anyone would feel better after having had a row in a subforum like that.

If anyone has a problem with a fellow member and wishes to rant about them, there's always room for it in Letters To The Management, if I'm not mistaken. :smile:

Tho that means there wouldn't be any flaming threads going on, in the end I think that's in the best interest of all members. Even if that means less amusement for those who enjoy seeing others bitching and fighting.
  6. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I'd say no... for reasons already given.
  7. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

It doesn't work as well as you'd think. Instead of having to put differences aside and get along, posters just keep going at it, spilling over into other areas. I've been in two or three forums that have had a a flame board and they all turned into big headaches or failed attempts to keep flaming off of the regular boards.
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Ridiculous idea.
  9. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

i can see what your saying, we have many threads which almost spark a mini riot and while sometimes amusing to outsiders its not really productive.
    by having a sub forum for these outbursts it will be like giving permission to members to abuse eachother which isn't what this site is about.
    these fights in threads are born of emotions which get out of hand not out of malice etc etc.

while interesting subject to raise its not what we are about.

take care
  10. Sparkz

Sparkz Well-Known Member

bad idea, for reasons already stated
  11. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i dont know about anyone else but even if it was created id be too terrified to go on there. i came to this site hoping for it to be a support forum and not a forum where fragile people can be ridiculed and upset. the forum i was last on was really bitchy and could really hurt people even if they didnt realise it. i know i definitly was
  12. mourningseraph

mourningseraph Well-Known Member

I agree with crookxshanks.
  13. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

no. :dry:
  14. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

No-not a good idea, just watch the telly
  15. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

seems like a very bad idea. especially since its my opinion that the OP has a somewhat abrasive posting style as it is. :dry:

this site is for support. not for flame wars.
  16. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

:unsure: i'd think it'd be amusing. and i would rather know what people thought of me.
    not all suicidal peoples impulses are because people dont like them.. i just hate people being nice to my face and not liking me at all..

but anyway.

"the jerry springer forum"... I lol'd
  17. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

While many people enjoy the drama and excitement they feel with these types of things, in the end someone gets hurt. They may pretend it doesn't affect them at all, but deep down it does. I do not think we need to encourage any type of negativity such as this.
  18. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

anyone who dosn't like me can take their words and shove them right up their ass really hard.

Kiss my ass haters<Mod Edit: insulting>
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
  19. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

Says the guy under moderation :blink:
  20. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i understand what your saying, but it hurts me more to have people pretend to care nd like me. but thats just me obviously.

i'm not as blunt as some in regards to people not liking me. its yoour own choice if you dont. i cant change that. some people just dont like me as a person, and i can respect taht. i just wish to know for my own frame of mind, if you dont like me, so i dont have to put up with general niceities form you.